iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Elm Price

Started by Stephen1, November 10, 2023, 09:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Same here.  I don't use stain unless its for a customer who really wants it.  I didn't stain the elm myself.  I have a friend who used to have a sawmill and made lots of rustic furniture in South Dakota.  He had great luck staining the american elm and it looked really good.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

I've ran some really nice 8' elm logs through the firewood processor. It seems no one really knows what to do with it anymore, so it ends up in loads of mixed firewood logs I get. I wanted to saw them, but I knew I would saw them, sticker them, and there they would sit in the yard🤷 

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

I know a guy who confused some for red oak. Nope, not me. But this guy shoulda known. ::) It was my elm, so maybe he thought I didn't know what elm was, maybe that was the game. He never got any more wood from me, to saw. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

I haven't made it down to gt the logs yet as we got walloped with 20+ inches of snow and winter is here. I hope to make it down to get the logs next week. 
Life changes once the snow comes, shovel, plow, feed the fire, shovel, plow , maybe find the wood to feed the kiln , then feed the fire again, and keep doing that ...until spring. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

I've grown to hate snow, at least how it affects all of my day to day activities. We currently have NONE and I'm loving it!
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

We only have enough snow to show a cat track. Going to be 40's tomorrow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: barbender on November 30, 2023, 12:18:47 PM
I've grown to hate snow, at least how it affects all of my day to day activities. We currently have NONE and I'm loving it!
I hear ya!
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

tyofwa

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 10, 2023, 09:08:51 AM
I was just offered 2 American Elm logs. 24"x 12' from a local farmer. Grown in a tree line, but no fencing according to him. His family has lived there for 100 years.
This is in Ontario Canada.
What are they worth a bd ft? There is 300 bd ft. Doyle per log.
What would some of you pay delivered ? Picked up by yourself?

The first tree I retrieved after opening my business was a Siberian Elm planted in the late 1800s here on Whidbey Island (the one behind me in my profile pic).  It's been an amazing tree for many projects.  We recently milled the last of it.  As for price p/bf, the large slabs have been fetching ~$16/bf dried.  The smaller stuff is around $10/bf dried.  Most of the elm went into table, shelf, and mantle commissions.  In one case we made a staircase.  Most pics of that soon..

Here's a video of the recent milling.  https://www.instagram.com/p/C1AU1NvPW63/
Embarking on a new journey.  Here to learn, grow, and share. 

Logosol M8 sawmill
iDry vacuum kiln
Avid CNC router
...lots of other equipment to support the above :-)

Running a woodworking business in NW Washington. 
www.coastalwood.works

Thank You Sponsors!