iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whats the price of cord wood in your area

Started by bull, October 05, 2005, 07:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

October 1st we went to $200.00 per cord for seasoned 8)

EdK

$225-250 seasoned is average in south/central NH

I have see it adertised as high as $300 in the "Manchester Union Leader"

Better yet, the "Firewood Guy" in Londonderry NH: $99 for 1/8 cord last I heard  :D

http://www.firewoodguy.com/

pappy

4 X 4 X 8 seasoned hardwoods  $140

oh ya that's split and delivered
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Corley5

I seen 16" face cords advertised for $35.00 to $40.00 picked up and $50.00 to $60.00 delivered.  That's the same as last year.  I'm not sure how the guys doing the delivery thing are making it with the price of gas.  100" 10 or twenty cord loads have gone from $50.00 to $60 or $70 per cord depending on the supplier and there's a month wait for delivery.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Captain

Bull, we're at $225 delivered in town, out of town is more $$

Captain

karl

$i75. dry, $165. green . have seen some @ 200 green
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

DonE911

Add in the paper says $75 fullsize longbed truck full.  Mixed hardwoods .....  our tennant called the guy and thats green delivered but not stacked.

I've seen the guy delivering in his old dodge longbed....  its full, but not heaped on.  It may have been heaped on when he left home and the rest just fell thru the rust holes :D

What prices are being paid to have the logs dropped at the house and you cut and split it yourself??

pappy

Quote from: DonE911 on October 05, 2005, 08:30:47 AM
What prices are being paid to have the logs dropped at the house and you cut and split it yourself??

8 cords + - $550
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Frank_Pender

In Portland,I am getting $185, mixed species.  The drive is 85 miles one way. :'(
Frank Pender

isawlogs

Here 16 "  face cords, split , delivered , 90 $  .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Frank
Is that 'mixed species' all hardwood?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DonE911 on October 05, 2005, 08:30:47 AM

$100 a cord tree length (12 cord/load) green

$180/cord seasoned, split, delivered
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

I am going to charge $200 a cord this year (hardwoods - mostly oak) to start and may go to $300 if natural gas goes through the roof. I am keeping my mixed woods for myself and selling the good stuff for as much as I can get.

DonE911

rebocardo

at 300 a cord I'll start bringing it down there... gas is high, but not that high.

ohsoloco

The highest I've seen firewood this year was $130 a cord for barkless oak. 

rebocardo

It has nothing to do with gas, it has to do with natural gas prices in the area. Firewood generally sells for whatever 100 gallons of heating oil sells for in most areas, though in this area (Atlanta GA) most people use natural gas. People would rather pay you $300 then Southern Gas Co.

SwampDonkey

In my area firewood in treelength or 100 " form is based on pulp prices and trucking. The bucked and split stuff is based on the above plus labour. We have very very limited access to natural gas and it wouldn't be 5 % for residents. Now out in the parairies and southern Ontario and Quebec is a different kettle of fish.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

I've been charging $50.00 / cord plus trucking for mixed hardwood firewood logs, in two cord loads. Lately it's been mostly tulip poplar, soft maple, and black birch. Most of the locals prefer the denser hardwoods, but they aren't complaining about the species mix this year. They also haven't griped like they usually do about crooked logs. Some I've had to almost screw on to the truck. We don't have a local market for pulpwood, so I move alot of firewood.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

woodmills1

One guy who buys green wood from me in random lengths said he is now charging 300 per cord dry split delivered.  He is near out of his wood ready for this season and said he sold a half cord to someone and they offered him 200 for it.  Yes he delivered it. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

I've heard some places to south of here charging $350 a cord. But I think it's because there is less sugar maple and beech down there. Alot of the wood is red maple and white birch down there. So probably trucking is a large part of their costs because people want sugar maple and beech firewood.

Frank_Pender

Mixed species is hard and soft woods; Fir, Maple, Oak, Cherry, Ash, etc.  For the delivery on Sunday morning to Portland, I haved raised the price to $195 as the price of die sel has gone up $.25 from yesterday to, today.   :'(
Frank Pender

Coon

So you say that 1 cord of firewood should sell for the same price of heating oil..... I think that you mustn't have been very good at math in school.

1 cord seasoned split firewood = 4 litres/gallon @ 100 gallon tank
Heater oil = 99.9 cents/litre or  $4.00/gallon

$4.00/gallon X 100 gallon tank = $400/tank.

If you say that the price of heater oil is equall to a cord of even the best seasoned white birch (which is the most expensive firewood around here) then you are telling me that my 1 cord of white birch firewood is worth $400 to the average home owner.............

I think not..................   we are lucky to get $200.00 for the best quality seasoned and split white birch.   And believe me it is not easy to find anymore with easy access.   Most of it is just scattered about in small bluffs and is 20 miles in from the nearest road. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Coon, heating oil south of the border is alot cheaper than here. Your probably in an area with alot of natural gas customers and probably not so many heating oil customers. I think that similar to rebocardo's area. But, in northern Saskatchewan (Prince Albert) there is probably a large pulpwood market to base your firewood prices and in rebo's area there probably isn't. ;)

I paid $0.66/litre back in August before all this hurricane mess and I knew that it would go up because of past history. In fact if it didn't go up I'de be shocked beyond belief.  :o :o

I do agree with you that $200/cord is about the limit people will pay unless they are in a bind (availability). My neighbor got duked last season and paid $360/cord for his wood. ::) In my province all anyone has to do is call a marketing board for the price of hardwood pulp and add on labour for firewood and they'll have a good idea. I have heard alot of loggers say that they can't be bothered with the firewood market and those that do aren't getting rich.  And I'de be in the poor house if I had to heat this old farmhouse with oil. ;)

EdK

Of course, heating oil and cord wood prices vary significantly in the various regions of the FF. One thing that is fairly constant is the ratio of BTUs between a cord of wood and a gallon of heating oil. Also, the appliances that use these two fuels also vary in their rates of efficiencies.

Hardwood varies in BTU content from anywheres in the upper teens to around 25 million BTU/cord. Heating oil contains approximately 141,000 BTU/US gallon. So a cord of mixed hardwood might contain 22 milllion BTUs or 156 equivalent gallons of oil (roughly speaking).

Now a modern oil burner or furnace is around 85-88% effiecient whereas a modern EPA-rated airtight woodstove runs approximately 65%. This reduces the ratio to around 1cord=120 equivalent gallons of oil in terms of useable heat ( again, roughly speaking).

So each one of us can make our own decision as to what wood "should" cost based upon regional fossil fuel prices but it is evident that once it meets or even exceeds this ratio we are working for free (or at a loss :o). I've got to believe some folks don't appreciate this when I see the prices of cordwood. Now I understand folks buying designer wood to burn on the weekend (I think). But when hard-working folks are trying to save a buck by burning $250-$300 wood to avoid $2.50 heating oil...

Although, it certainly doesn't hurt to prepare now for the $4.00-6.00/gal heating oil  :o

bull

Hey Ed what are the figures for Carbon monoxide" Oil "VS Carbon dioxide "Woood" produced........
Tree's respire and turn carbon dioxide into oxygen. Does anything take care of Carbon monoxide...
Hmmm a clearner burning fuel, better for the environment, helping farmers survive.....  everyone should be burning wood.....   ;)

I also like the idea of a lower fee per cord w/ a higher delivery fee, that's the next plan....

Thank You Sponsors!