iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trapping

Started by JamesE. PikeLogging, April 23, 2010, 06:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troublermaker

Where do you sell your fur? All the local buyer around here got out of the business went fur prices went down hill. When beavers get in one of the ponds we just been shooting them. It look like such a waste to me. Back in the 70's I could get 30 to 40 dollars for the big blanket beavers. Rats was $5.00 for brown and $7.00 for blacks. Then I sell the meat for a $1.50 to $2.00. A good alive fox that feet wasn't mess up I could get $40.00 from a man that had a fox pen to run fox dogs. It didn't matter if it was a red or gray

chain

Looking at the January issue of "Trapper" I saw only one buyer listed in Va.: "J.Coakley, The trappers Heaven, Quickburg, Va." Might check your Virginia Trappers Association. Country buyers few and far between here, think many serious trappers may bundle and ship to auctions. I trap from necessity of nusiance animals locally and mostly sell in round or trade for traps and supplies. Fur prices in Virginia look fair , as you know, there are discounts from "southern sections, etc.".. cut into your 'profits.' :(

Yes, there ws a great slaughter of beaver here too, folks used about anything to kill 'em out. Amazing how river otter survived through the shooting and all.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2011, 09:28:51 AM
I just noticed that I have a beaver population again.  I'll have to hire the trapper again this year.  :-\
First the Wood Chuck problem and now this. ;D :D

northwoods1

Quote from: CX3 on December 30, 2010, 01:53:56 PM
Why not stake them down? Do you use a "brush drag" instead

CX3 , if you look at the pic of that cat , all he would have had to do is get up on that log and make one jump straight up and it would have likely pullet that trap out. There are a few advantages to a drag , one is that it give the trap a time to get secure on the foot before they really begin pulling on it. Another is if you have a good set it won't be torn apart the animal can move away from it. Another is that the animal is allowed to maybe move off towards a place where it can hide and it is not right that at the set trying to get free the entire time. It depends what kind of country you are in, but a pronged drag, or a pole like ARkansaw sawyer mentioned will work well.

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 02, 2011, 09:41:50 AM
Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2011, 09:28:51 AM
I just noticed that I have a beaver population again.  I'll have to hire the trapper again this year.  :-\
First the Wood Chuck problem and now this. ;D :D

Yup, I think that the beavers are cutting it down so the woodchucks can chuck it.  My argument is that it is still my wood and I want them to quit chucking my wood.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

I sold a few muskrat to a buyer that comes up from Ill.  average $7 for the last ones.  I have  couple hundred at the auction in Canada tomorrow.  The manager at the collection point in Stouton wi was excited about the prospect for prices this year.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

northwoods1

Quote from: trapper on January 04, 2011, 11:46:16 PM
I sold a few muskrat to a buyer that comes up from Ill.  average $7 for the last ones.  I have  couple hundred at the auction in Canada tomorrow.  The manager at the collection point in Stouton wi was excited about the prospect for prices this year.
Marv

Do you see a lot of muskrats where you are? I don't hardly see any these days. Beaver are a rare thing up here now. They are cyclical but populations have been down for years. Otter, now that is another thing I see lots of them and I thought that was kind of unusual cause beaver and otter go together lots of times.
I use to have so much fun trapping , you see a lot of things that you just don't see any other time.

TeaW

I see on the Fur Harvesters website they have 25000 beaver 50000 muskrat and 80000 racoon for the auction on Jan 7.
TeaW

trapper

northwoods1
There are a lot of muskats in this area.  Dodge/Fond du lac county.  Large marshes.  We also have a better quality muskrat than in your area.  You do not see them before dark because of all the hunting pressure in the marshes around here.  I was suprised to see them swiming during the day when hunting and trapping in Lincoln co. 
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!