iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That durn logging bug!

Started by 9shooter, December 28, 2007, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

It's hard to get away from the woods for long. I've been putting a road into a friend's small woodlot- I'm not really sure how big it is, it's triangle shaped. Maybe 10 acres or so . He allows me to hunt his land and I've been cutting dead elms and ash for firewood on his property. I got to looking around and am noticeing that there is around 20 large white ash that I should log out before the emerald ash borrer kills them.  That dad blamed bug is only about 10-15 miles away now.
  So I went and cruised the woods today and figrue theres somewhere around 30+ trees that could come out. 2- 40+" white oaks, 10 hard maples, 3-4 soft maples a couple of nice beech.......Then I got to checking the stumpage prices. :(  I also read some of the recent posts and it sure puts a guy in a bind. I wonder if I should wait until the bug is there and chewing away before logging the woods.
  This friend of mine is a trucker and said he can get a trialer to move the logs when it's time to git-er-done. I am thinking about some of the advice here about having a foreter scale the logs standing and realized I could probably get my wife's cousin to do it next time he's in the neighborhood. He deals in birdseye in the U.P. and passes through now and again. It might cost me a beer or 24. Sure wish I had that Peterson WPF............ 
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Thank You Sponsors!