iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red pine

Started by imgwiz, November 23, 2011, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imgwiz

I was wondering how to find out the going price for red pine.  I live in Michigan and we have about 70 acres of red pine that was planted by state of michigan on the property back in the late 50's early 60's.  We had them do a thinning about 15 years ago and had some of the oak, maple, and poplar.  They did this but we apparently didn't get paid as logger filed bankruptcy and didn't finish paying us.  We don't want that to happen again so we would like to know approxmently what we should get.  We are considering asking for money upfront when they do give us estimate so that doesn't happen. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

WDH

Google "Michigan DNR Stumpage Price Report".  There you will find the price of red pine from the sale of timber from State land.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

I would strongly recommend you contact a good forester to manage your timber sale. You not only need to get a good price for the stumpage but also make sure you get paid for all that is taken.

A good local forester can look out for your interests much better than you can.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Yes, tragic to be fleeced by someone else's circumstances.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. ALWAYS get someone that has been in the business for years and CHECK thier work thorough other land owners. A busy and good logger should be busy for at least 6 months,if not even a year. A forester will keep all honest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Quote from: Gary_C on November 24, 2011, 03:00:15 AM
I would strongly recommend you contact a good forester to manage your timber sale. You not only need to get a good price for the stumpage but also make sure you get paid for all that is taken.

A good local forester can look out for your interests much better than you can.

Ditto! to this advice. You should seek out the services of a professional forester.
~Ron

imgwiz

Ron funny as to where you are from.  That is the area where we own the propery.  Do you know any good foresters that I could talk to in the cadillac area.

Shotgun

Quote from: imgwiz on November 29, 2011, 03:08:04 PM
Ron funny as to where you are from.  That is the area where we own the propery.  Do you know any good foresters that I could talk to in the cadillac area.

Re: Ron Scott

Excuse my interupting, but you are already communicating with one of the premier foresters in the Cadillac area.  He'll tell you soon enough that he's a forester, but he probably won't admit to you that he's one of the best. I highly recommend him.  You can take his advice to the bank.

Good luck.

Norm 
A forestry school classmate of Ron's
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Mooseherder

As fate would have it! :)

Thank You Sponsors!