iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing a hydraulic log splitter vertically?

Started by Warbird, October 23, 2007, 01:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

I have a "Yard Machines" 25 ton hydraulic log splitter.  It has a 6 horse Briggs & Stratton engine.  I'm trying to get everything stored in the shop for the winter and would like to tip the entire thing (yoke and all) to a vertical position for storing.

I ran it dry, so it has no gasoline in it.  Will it hurt the engine to be stored vertically like that?

RaisedByWolves

Nope, but you might want to drain the oil from it, otherwise it may leak all over when your not looking. Also, make sure your HYD oil cant leak out.

Warbird

Oooo.  Good point on the hydraulic oil.  Thanks!  The cap on that tank is vented.  It'd leak out for sure.

Bah.  I don't feel like draining both the engine and the hydraulics.  Guess it's time to find another spot to store it in.

jrokusek

My dad has a homemade one made from an I-beam and a 8 HP Briggs.....same concept as yours.  He's stored it outside for 10+ years or so with no problems.  The thing is a bit greasy so I guess that's what keeps the rust away.  He covers the vent for the hydraulics with a cut off plastic pop bottle and that's it.  Snow, wind, rain, sun, etc. doesn't seem to hurt it.

mike_van

Fairbanks Alaska? I'd try to store it inside too - If you don't, it might be froze to the ground 'till Memorial Day when the ice goes out on the Tannana!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

jrokusek

Quote from: mike_van on October 23, 2007, 11:36:21 AM
Fairbanks Alaska? I'd try to store it inside too - If you don't, it might be froze to the ground 'till Memorial Day when the ice goes out on the Tannana!

ooohhhh....didn't notice that part.  Back when I had a Harley, and before I was married, I brough the bike inside the house.  Probably not a good idea with a log splitter......unless you're single.  :D

Warbird

Heh.  The splitter will not be stored outside.  I've seen it -65 F ambient (no wind chill) here, though it's been a few years.  Anything -40 F and colder it exceptionally hard on equipment and I prefer to store it indoors.

And yes, I'm married.  Somehow, I don't think the wife would approve of the log splitter as the centerpiece in the living room!  :D

breederman

Just put a big ole slab on it and call it a coffee table. ;)
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!