iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

450g tc

Started by rdobb13, December 02, 2023, 10:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdobb13

Gonna go pick one up Monday on a trial basis. It's had recent undercarriage and is in fair shape for its age. Anything to check or look at specifically?  Never been around a torque converter dozer. I know in a slider I don't mind them 

It's belonged to a friend since basically new. I know it has been a good one, says it still pulls great just not as stout as it once was. 

It's not what I'm really looking for but wouldn't mind it being around anyway for the price. 

Thanks

BargeMonkey

94-96ish ? The TC where later, the G's went from 88ish till 97 ? Is it a straight G or true series 4 with the hoses out the front ? Biggest thing is the C frame and blade pins, has the C frame been welded up ? How's the bottom ball ? Got 2x 450Gs / direct drive with woods packages, about as bulletproof as they come. 

rdobb13

I've only recently seen it in the shop a couple months ago when he purchased it from the original owner. Those were the only things I really noticed about it, I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow. 

The original owner was a hothead and well known for letting folks go that abused it. So I'm hoping the blade and c frame are all fairly tight. 

I'll update it tomorrow. I have a feeling it will be a decent machine. 

rdobb13

Also, @BargeMonkey 

You posted a while back about a trailer mounted de limber. I don't remember seeing much input on it, you figure anything out?  I'm trying to something similar. I have some pine to look at and noooobody wants to top it. Me included. 

rdobb13

rdobb13

Ok, so I'm working on my photo adding and multiples. 

When I picked it up this morning the tracks weren't what I remember. Used it a half day and so far so good. Got a couple weeping cylinders and a few bottom rollers soon. @BargeMonkey it does have the hoses out the front like an H or J. 

The only thing that concerns me is the cost to replace the converter. See how it looks at the end of the week. And price of course. 

BargeMonkey

That's a series 4. GR screens. Doesn't look all pounded. If it's sat I would change every filter on it, the trans filter could be the source of your hesitation. Which style dash ? Levers or foot steer ? How many hours ? 

rdobb13

@bargemonkey

I'll get a picture of the dash tomorrow. It's at 86xx now.  For this area it's actually a pretty good looking G. All the fluid and filters were just changed when it sold recently, even went as far as cleaning out the fuel tanks. It's also loaded with new hoses. So far I'm having a hard time finding an excuse to not buy it. Over been cutting the last day and a half so I have just watched it mostly but I can find lots of uses for it.

Just in my mind I would think lots of dirt work would be harder on the transmission than logging it.

BargeMonkey

Dirtwork they typically have an easier life. The G's with 10k hrs of hard woods use are clapped. Check your roller bolts, I've seen them broke off.
Your right in the hours of doing major components, not sure what's ever been done ? Pump isn't hard to do, one day your just going to lose all hydraulics when it eats off the splines on the shaft. The older 450G we have is doggier in gear, almost 11k hrs, the other one has 5500 and I notice a diff. I ran a 650G TC and they don't shift quite as fast as a direct machine. 4-276 engine or just late enough for the 4.5 engine ? Hoses out the front is huge, you wanna talk about miserable and its always way out in the woods. Check the C frame, I've seen clean plate jobs and farmer hack style ones. They where known to crack. The LT , LGP and certain years final parts can be odd, my cousin had to hunt pretty hard for a 550G-LT final 10yrs ago. Not sure what kind of money your talking, 30-33kish max is in the ballpark of where I would be comfortable. The low hour G's are still around, the winch / screens is worth 8-9k.

rdobb13

When the second owner bought it a couple months ago he put steering clutches in one side, the front idlers, new hoses, fluid and filters. He just wants his money back. He thought it was gonna be handy to have around but he is 700j and 650 spoiled. He can't go back to g speed.

When he first got it I tried to buy it then. He said no, I like the idea of having a small dozer to move around, can't have too many.  Then he started using it and remembered the speed difference on one. He's actually a pretty good dozer guy for a farmer. I went over to deer camp and it was the first thing he said, come pick it up and try it for a week. Otherwise he is having an auction soon and it will go to that. He's trying to figure his parts cost up, so when I go see him this weekend I'll get in idea on price.

rdobb13

mudfarmer

Wow I have seen comments from Barge about "standing on the dash" of a dozer but didn't know they put foot treads there from the factory!  :D  :-X That's pretty handy

BargeMonkey

You can go some stupid places standing on the dash, typically if I bring a dozer to bunch wood it's rough ground.
That's a late model series 4, LT. I see 6 bottom rollers. Make sure your batteries don't bounce around, keep the pans clean, check the bolts on the trans cover pan every service. No track sensors, no TCM to go bad, about bulletproof with maintenance.

rdobb13

Well so far so good. $22k, I think I'll keep it.

BargeMonkey

You didn't get hurt for that kind of money at all, I would jump on that.

Thank You Sponsors!