iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT35HD vs LT40?

Started by KWood255, April 10, 2021, 09:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

I have placed an order on a new Wood-Mizer LT35HD, which is supposed to arrive next week. I have the option of going to a LT40. I understand that the units are comparable, with a few different options. The auto clutch on the LT40 sounds like a nice feature. Is there enough benefit in upgrading to the LT40 to justify the extra $12k (CDN)? I have some experience with a 35HD already, but have never actually seen a 40.  

Thanks for your input.

Sixacresand

I remember making that choice also.  More HP and log diameter capacity on the 40.  In hind sight, I would have bought the 35 and put the 10k toward a FEL tractor.  How often do I mill a 36" log?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DixieReb31

I don't see any benefit. But those that use a 40 may see it differently.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

WV Sawmiller

I'd suggest you read upon the specs on both available  on the WM site and decide if the extra features are worth the extra cost. I may be out of date but I thought the standard gas engine on the LT40 is 26 HP while it is 25 hp on my LT35 - doesn't seem worth the difference. Both offer other engine options so be sure to compare comparable engines. I think the depth of cut is a little more on the LT40 which would be a factor if you do much quartersawing. I can't make a 12" drop IIIRC which would be nice when cutting cants for 1X12 or 2X12s and such. I think the frame and hydraulics are the same. Changing bands on the LT35 seems much faster and easier than the LT40 as it has hinged doors instead of having to remove them. I don't remember if the LT40 has or comes with the extra side support options which I got and love on my LT35. Both have the claw type log turner instead of the chain type. I have the manual clutch on mine. The auto clutch would be nice but I don't know about maintenance of one.

I love my LT35. I'd like more features but am sure you will be happy with either. Just compare and make your own decision as to what you need and will use then determine if it is worth the price difference.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John S

Go to the dealer and demo both mills.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

GullyBog

I use an LT40 wide.  I don't have an upgrade on the engine and so I am spending a lot of time in the wide cuts but with a 4 degree blade and patience I get smooth boards.  Without the upgraded engine there might not be a big difference in how much wood you can saw in a day.  
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Crossroads

I was on the 35/40 fence a few years ago and decided the 2 main things I was upgrading for were. Hydraulics and more capacity, I ended up with the 40 wide and have never regretted it. When I run into a large log, say 40" I make the first cut at 32" rotate 90° make a cut at 32", rotate 90° and cut slabs down to the top of my first cant. If I'm making 6" cants, I'll cut 2 of them, tip the whole thing up with the clamp and slide them off. Then flip it 180° slab down to the top of the next cant, then make 2 more cants. Then stand up the 2 cants and start making 2- 2x6's per cut. Anyway, a little extra capacity in your back pocket is a good thing in my mind. 

Not the best picture, but the closest I could find. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

There is no question nor hesitation that if I was buying today it would be an LT40 SuperHydraulic Wide.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

I would buy the 35 and if I thought I needed more mill on a regular basis I would go straight to the Super 40 for its faster hydraulics and upgraded drag back capacity. The 40 is the mainstay mill in the WM line and very popular, but there is a big price step for that increased capacity you may not need or want. I sawed enough 3ft logs on my 70 to know I just as soon leave that for task for somebody else.

Stephen1

Quote from: Sixacresand on April 10, 2021, 09:46:09 AM
I remember making that choice also.  More HP and log diameter capacity on the 40.  In hind sight, I would have bought the 35 and put the 10k toward a FEL tractor.  How often do I mill a 36" log?
I agree on the 35 if you are getting the mill for lumber. I'd go for the 40 wide if you are going to make money with large logs for slabs. Either way though, you need a FEL for the mill. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

Hobby sawing or small income work a 35 is a LOT of mill.  I kept mine when I bought my Super 70 and there is no way I will give it up.  

If you are going to be sawing professionally I don't see the value difference between a 35 and a regular 40.  In that scenario the limiting factor won't be cut speed, hydraulics, etc - rather it will be material handling.  If that's the case then the Super 40 is the way to go, drag back, considerably faster hydraulics, and Accuset II.  More money?  Yup - but it will make you more money too.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Agree, LT40 super is the sweet spot in the WM lineup. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KWood255

Thanks for all the replies fellas, all valid points for sure. At this point, I am going to stick with the 35. If the milling goes as well as I think it can, an upgrade to a 40 super could be in the cards. 

I already have most of the equipment to supplement the business...truck/trailer, TJ 230 skidder, and a Kubota M7060 tractor with loader and a bunch of attachments. Aside from a rotating grapple, I'm in good shape for log handling. 

Thanks for all your thoughts and options guys. 

Thank You Sponsors!