iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grapple bucket or grapple forks?

Started by alan gage, May 29, 2018, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euphonius

Quote from: alan gage on June 08, 2018, 10:30:38 AM
The grapple forks showed up yesterday and I spent about an hour or so moving logs with them. Overall I was very happy with how they worked. I got the 48" version and they worked very well for picking up multiple logs at the same time. Much easier carrying multiple logs with the grapple as opposed to regular forks. If one log was as little off center it didn't really matter. Even if the end log was only part way on the forks the grapple would clamp it in place. It clamped them tight and stabilized the load very well while driving from point A to point B, especially on the downhill section where some logs would have rolled off if I'd had forks alone. It worked for carrying five spruce logs of varying dimensions to just one or two long and large (19"x20') ash logs.

Last night I had the forks set to the same width as the grapple so the grapple didn't contact the smaller logs. Next time I'll change the fork spacing so the grapple bypasses them and see how that works.

When I got done moving logs I grabbed a pallet of plywood and moved it under my new lumber shed. Very nice not having to switch attachments.

Quote from: Raym on May 30, 2018, 03:48:05 AMOrdered the pallet forks and thought the cylinder was bad since there was no control on the decent of the claw. They sent a replacement and it was slightly better but not much.

I see now what you mean. The forks snap open and closed very quickly. Much different than the grapple bucket I borrowed a couple weeks ago. I'm assuming the reason being the grapple bucket had dual cylinders where the grapple forks only have one. I'm hoping someone makes some kind of orifice that can install at one of the fittings to slow down flow?

Alan
Dear Alan,
Curious how you are feeling about the pallet fork grapple after a six or seven months of use. I'm also leaning toward the fork grapple for the same reasons you were -- wanting the versatility of lifting logs and pallets with one attachment. I've got a big deck of redwoods and firs all 20-25 feet in length and up to 30 inches in diameter, so don't expect to be moving more than one at a time. I'm thinking with the forks set to the widest (44 inches), my best bet would be the 42-inch or or 48-inch tines. Any thoughts on this based on your experience?
Or are you thinking you should have gotten the grapple bucket. At Titan, the pallet fork grapple is actually heavier (611 lbs) than the grapple bucket (450 lbs).
I assume you're staying indoors these days. Stay warm!
Thanks.
Jeff

alan gage

I used them quite a bit and then the auxiliary hydraulics lines started leaking on my skid steer so I've just been using forks the last few months until I get around to fixing it.

What I liked about the grapple forks over a grapple bucket was not having to change attachments when switching between moving logs and moving pallets of lumber. They're handy and worked well but, like a previous poster mentioned, they really snap open and closed fast (at least the ones from Titan). It's hard to open/closed in a controlled manner. I'm assuming this is because they only have one hydraulic cylinder and the skid loader has enough flow to move it in a hurry. I kept meaning to put some sort of orifice in the fitting to slow it down but of course still haven't gotten around to it.

I've been very happy with them around the log yard. I think I got the 48" but could get by with a little less.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

1countryboy

There are a lot of GOOD companies that manufacture grapples and/buckets for light to very heavy duty use.  National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, Ky, Feb 12-15th is excellent venue to compare the actual units on display and for sale.  My personal choice is https://shoule.com.au/assets/files/SHoule%20Catalogue.pdf

They are out of Canada and all over the U.S.  I use and Abuse the GP-10 grapple every day.  Bought it 7-8 years ago and is on an old AC840 (articulated) loader.  Used for manure, big hay bales stacking brush and lots of logs and tops that are gently laid on my wood processor live deck.  I use it for bigger logs that go on my bandsaw mill.   I finally broke one of the cat claws on the grapple doing things you should never do (and we all do) :D.  I am considering the rock bucket as an addition.  

I currently use an old New Holland 3pt bale mover that has been (farmer modified) with forklift pallet forks.   Welded to the bale mover and drive it into the bucket and secured with a one bolt pin.  Cost effective,quick attach, and rugged.  I have moved 30 ft 30+ inch trees across fields to the yard.  I get a lot of strange looks from cars going up and down the road. :)   Works for me.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

alan gage

Since this thread was drug to the top again and I'm the one that started it I figured I'd update how my grapple forks are working.

For quite a while I had a large hydraulic leak in the front auxiliary lines so I didn't use the grapple forks and got along quite well with the regular forks. I've since fixed the leak and have been using the grapple forks again and it's nice to have them back. I did a fair amount of milling and log shuffling this summer and fall so put them to good use. They make it easy to pick up multiple logs and it's nice not having to center them exactly (like with regular forks). The loader arms on my mill broke so I've been loading everything with the grapple forks, which is much easier than loading with regular forks. Not as nice as a grapple bucket but it gets the job done.

One thing I didn't expect from the grapple forks was how good they are for moving brush. At 4' long they can carry quite a mouthful.

The grapple forks generally stay on the skid loader unless I need to pick up a really tall stack, usually firewood pallets.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!