iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN Wheel Source

Started by gmmills, June 22, 2014, 10:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmmills

There is another source for replacement CBN wheels other than WM.   http://www.rixsaws.com   They have wheels for all the popular WM blade profiles. I have been using one of their wheels for 4 months. Very impressed with how well it is holding up. When in need of a replacement wheel check them out.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

beenthere

WM is a sponsor for the FF, and pays the bills. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

I have seen other places to get CBNs. But I get mine from WM.
They keep me running and I keep them working too. And after 27 years with them, I stopped looking {for the other parts} just to save a few pennies.Just my way. Good luck with your way. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

gmmills-- Thanks for providing the info on these CBN wheels to your fellow sawyers.  Sharing of information is what this forum is all about.  Competition is  a good thing... the cream will always rise to the top. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Larry

I've talked with the guy at rixsaws a few months ago.  Seemed quite informed and nice.  I mentioned he might consider becoming a forum sponsor.

At the time he was just getting starting and had inventory problems.  If he had a little encouragement from members here, that might help him see the light.

Thanks for posting the link gmmills.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 23, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
gmmills-- Thanks for providing the info on these CBN wheels to your fellow sawyers.  Sharing of information is what this forum is all about.  Competition is  a good thing... the cream will always rise to the top. :)

To bad loyalty is not cream too  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

Can you run a cbn wheel dry or does it require lube? Can you use a cbn on a drag type sharpener or is it limited to full grind only? Do you know if he supplies profiles other than WM?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

NMFP

You can run dry cbn wheels, but they will not hold up.  The cbn wheels that are profiled require oil or coolant for 2 reasons. 1.  Cutting ability of the steel and 2.  Cooling abilities of the steel.  If you remove the cooling and cutting capacity, the best that wheel will ever sharpen would be the first few teeth on a band.

There is a company in Ireland that offers dry cbn wheels for woodmizer and cooks drag type sharpeners.  They work ok but the issue I ran into was different compositions of steel used in bands either worked well or not at all.  Not the wheels fault, just the composition of the steel used to manufacture the bands.

Just about all of the wm profiles will work across the board on numerous brands of bands.  I haven't found any bands yet I couldn't sharpen with wm profiles.  Most bands manufactured are very close to each other and once you pass the band through one time, the profile is tweaked to the shape and profile of wm profiles.  Makes life simple.

petefrom bearswamp

I use the cbn wheels from Ireland on my 1995 WM drag sharpener with good results, both WM and Cooks blades.
I cool/lube with some old lightweight hydraulic oil I had lying around.
Tom in Ireland said i could use dry but recommended coolant/lube.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

backwoods sawyer

I ran the cbn wheels on both the WM sharpener and the Cooks sharpener, WM were fine but on the Cooks the slight difference in profile along with the very fine grit of the cbn wheel and not having a cooling system was over heating the gullets resulting in server gullet cracks/broken saws after the first sharpening, sharpened 20 new saws lost 20 saws. Changed to the courser blue stone and solved that issue, have not had a single gullet crack show up since.
Might add the saws being sharpened on both sharpenered were the wm 10*

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

drobertson

I have always believed that an up start company deserves a fair shake with their product, and who knows, another sponsor is always a good thing, not to mention deals at a lower cost.  Been in the tooling industry too long to know that monopolies kill the free enterprise.  I've heard great results with this new outlet, it's a shame that a fair shake can't come their way.  At a lower cost, how much is loyalty really worth?   I paid out the rear for bearings before I found another outlet.  Just saying, What works, and lasts is worth a shot in every stretch of the word, in regards to making money, not spending it.  Just my opinion,  who really knows, maybe the cost can really be reduced, I've seen it too many times, technology is constantly changing as is manufacturing processes.
There really is no reason to pay more for a product than necessary. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

drobertson, I agree on on one hand- I won't pay through the nose just because I like you. I have a vet I used to take my dogs to, I really like the man and his family, but the prices just got to high for me so I started going somewhere else. I think the point here is not getting parts somewhere else, but free advertising for a competitor WM is paying for through their sponsorship of the forum.

Ga Mtn Man

So let me get this straight...we should only talk about and get information on those companies that sponsor this forum?  Really?  If that's the case then this place becomes no longer a forum but rather a sponsored company information site.  I sincerely doubt that was the intent for the forum when it was founded.       
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

I found this forum when searching for an answer to a mill issue, loved the responses I saw. Since, it really seems that it is a place for many private jokes, and a lack of truth in regards to milling issues and other topics that many folks come across.   I suppose there is an issue with getting free advertising, but really it boils down to getting information out.  I can testify that for myself, getting started is a tuff way to go, and by all means if I can help someone save money, then I am all for it.  The fact is, I lost two blades today, first in quite awhile, but with over a 50 buck bill on a good wheel, well, proof is in the pudding. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

I'm not even saying this situation crosses the line into free advertising, Jeff decides where those lines are. I'm just pointing out that there are 2 seperate issues being discussed, and they are being blended together and it makes things a bit confusing.

Jeff

It took me a while to find this topic, as I was told about it's existence this weekend at the Paul Bunyan show. There may be a better way to say what I have to say, but right now, this seems the way to do it.

To begin with, I wish I had know about it when it began. Why? Because at the time I was in discussions on this company becoming a sponsor. It then all went away and I did not know why. Turns out, it was because of this topic and the way it went.

Quote from: barbender on June 25, 2014, 12:23:56 AM
I'm not even saying this situation crosses the line into free advertising, Jeff decides where those lines are. I'm just pointing out that there are 2 separate issues being discussed, and they are being blended together and it makes things a bit confusing.

That quote says a bunch. I do appreciate the help the forum gets from it's membership. I do, but you guys gotta remember something. You don't know everything, and sometimes nothing about what goes on behind the scenes. If you have a concern about something, I absolutely want to know about it. However, you need to do it in a way that may not muck up something you don't know everything about.  There is a multitude of ways you can let I or the other admins know you have a concern, and then let us handle it.

There is a report to moderator function on every post on this forum. If you use that to voice your concern, it will be sent to every admin, and every moderator for the board that topic was in. This is the best way.

We have the personal message system. You click on the person's name you want to send a message to, and you will be presented with at least one option to contact them. By personal message, or if they have opted to allow it, by email.

There is a contact link in the menu above. That is another way if you somehow are not logged in as a member.

Although we can't see personal messages of members, a member can report to moderator any personal message they get and a copy of that message and the description given of the issue will be sent to the administrators.

There is also a new mentioning system added a month or so ago and posted about here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76936.0.html You type the @ symbol before a username, and it will send that person notice they have been mentioned in a post and where that post is.

Everything that could go wrong in a topic, went wrong in this one, and as the owner and founder of the forum, I knew nothing of it until a one on one face to face meeting with someone(s) that did.  A potential sponsor of value to the membership as well as myself was disenchanted by the topic and from what I can see, by everyone involved, including myself for not knowing what was going on.

Some people may think that I or the admins read every single thing on this forum. It used to be so, years ago, but it is no longer possible simply do to the immensity of it all. Its more than reading the topics, it is also all of the other things that goes along with keeping this place humming along.  Have you noticed how many people are on it at once at any given time?  Let me go look as I type this.
369 Guests, 34 Forumites (1 Buddy)
That is over 400 individuals that all have the ability to post or contact the forum in one way or another as a member or a guest at this moment.  Many of them do.

So you see, we just can't see everything, but I do guarantee that we see everything that is brought to our attention by our members via contact with us.  If you have a question about content, ask.

I also want to add, that the membership concerns on advertising can be very real. We as admins have times when companies have created "plants" to make posts on the forum just so they can get free advertising. That is most unappreciated by myself, or should it be by you as members. As members though, you can't know who every other member is and what their agenda may be any more than we can, and we have much more information at our disposal than you, so please, what ever the concern, if you have one on a post, let us know.  I have zero problems with a member sharing information with other members with the reason being it could help them. Some times there is a fine line that even I have trouble seeing, but give me or an another admin the chance to see it and deal with it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!