iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sylvester-- or something else?

Started by Okrafarmer, October 05, 2012, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

So we harvested an apple tree, and my boss asks if I want to keep the log. I say, sure.  ???Never milled one before.  :-\ So, he brings it back, and I look at it, and it sure is a beauty, around 16" diameter or so, 10' long, with a tight crotch top and all. So, after I finished cleaning up after milling lumber for the little cube barn, I got to looking at the sylvester log, and just couldn't help myself, I had to pop it on the mill.

What I found was some of the most amazing wood I've ever opened up. The log was nice and straight, with this gorgeous orange sapwood and cherry-like red heartwood. I never knew apple would be so nice! I'm sorry, I only got three pictures before dark, and finished up milling in the dark. I made live-edge slabs and boards, very very nice.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

If I manage to take some more pictures, you will see the perfect Y of the heartwood in the crotch. I didn't get a picture of that before dark.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

5quarter

Oh lucky you... :o That is really a nice sized log. get the ends sealed up before the boards start splitting. The real challenge will be drying it... ;)

You're sure it's apple? The bark doesn't seem right. also, most apple I've cut has a white sapwood with light reddish-brown heart. occasionally, the heart can be very dark and dark brown sap pockets are very common. But Apple lumber can vary widely in its appearance. The log actually looks more like bradford Pear, which of course is another beautiful fruitwood. Bradford pear is always pale orange sapwood fading into reddish-orange in the heart like the boards in the pic.

Hopefully you will post a few more pics tomorrow?

Nice score.   

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

VT_Forestry

Awesome looking lumber.  I, too, will be interested in how it dries :)

Quote from: 5quarter on October 05, 2012, 02:24:46 AM
You're sure it's apple? . The log actually looks more like bradford Pear, which of course is another beautiful fruitwood. Bradford pear is always pale orange sapwood fading into reddish-orange in the heart like the boards in the pic.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the bark.  Those tight crotches are pretty typical of pear as well.  Either way it's pretty!
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

As excited as you were when we talked, I am not surprised that it got sawed yesterday...even in the dark.   ;D

It will be interesting to see pictures of the lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

I'll see what I can do. The bark does look like bradford pear, I'll have to double check. I don't have any leaves or fruit in hand, unfortunately, but I need to check with those who were on site. They normally know a Bradford when they see one. There's no mistaking those little fruity pebbles that grow on them.

Unfortunately I have to hurry off and load up the robertcat and go load trash into somebody's dumpsters today, and so I don't know what else I'll manage to accomplish. At least the trash-loading is a paying job.

Okrafarmer

By the way, they weren't all as crooked as that board in the bottom picture. That was one of the preliminary cuts. The cant ended up a lot straighter, as seen in the picture of the cant on the mill.

pineywoods

Beautiful lumber. Okra, I sure hope you aren't running that mill with the bandwheel cover off. Broken band wrapped around your neck could ruin your whole :o day..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim thats another one for the list looks good Mate  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

mikeb1079

looks beautiful.  tho i must say it doesn't look anything like the apple around here...

course that doesn't mean it's not apple.  i'm also very jealous of your new sawmil!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

If it is an apple tree log it is a mighty straight one.  be sure and save the slabs for smoking your fall deer meat, and anything else you might be cooking,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Dang, that sure is purdy. Now I need to find me an apple tree.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Okrafarmer

I'm wondering if it is a quince-- probably grew up from the quince root stock of an apple tree. That's my guess. Would that make a difference in the color?

Okrafarmer

Quote from: pineywoods on October 05, 2012, 10:13:34 AM
Beautiful lumber. Okra, I sure hope you aren't running that mill with the bandwheel cover off. Broken band wrapped around your neck could ruin your whole :o day..

Uh. . . .  :-[  I guess I should put the other guard on, shouldn't I? I'm more worried about hitting my head (or hand) on the alternator, though.

SwampDonkey

Doesn't look like apple bark. I've cut a whack of'm in the orchard. Burnt them all, rotten centers the chipmunks used for storage. :D

Nice looking wood there, hope it behaves when drying. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Well, maybe it wasn't a sylvester after all, but a pyrus communis tree. We're still not sure. I was hoping WDH or somebody else with experience figuring out the difference would chime in...

Today I asked Profdan if the tree had any fruit on it, and he said yes, little fruits that were bigger than a bradford pear's fruits, and kind of looked like a cross between a pear and an apple. Maybe a crabapple? Or some kind of quince, or something like that?

Anyway, more pictures today, from one of the inner slabs. I counted about 140 bf out of this log.

profdan

We can go get some bits of twigs, fruit, etc from the job site to verify for sure what kind of tree that was. Samples of all are there under the edge of the chip pile. Lots of walnut trees at the neighbor's there too, so if you see anyone around maybe we can get another job! But as soon as I saw the stump after we cut it down, I knew Okra would love it!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    profdan.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

5quarter

Okra...much better pictures. Definitely not Bradford pear. The demarcation between sap and heart in BP is not discernable. your slabs show a clearly defined difference between heartwood and sapwood. Not apple. not B pear. Off the top of my head...no idea.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!