iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Jon,

Did you see any of the flood damage in downtown Berkeley Springs.  When I watched the news about the flooding, it looked like the creek was running over the swimming pool.

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

I turn off and head over the mountain before I get to downtown Berkeley Springs.
But I did see pictures of the flooding.

Right there at the pool is a rock lined tub area that they say George Washington built to soak in the mineral waters to sooth his arthritis.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Slooooooly it goes.

We are planning on hanging the steel in March 2019.
There's a lot of steel going into it. 4 main beams  W12 x 40#
and 18 W8 x 31# beams to go under concrete decks on either side of the cabin.

Every thing I have done on this build has been an education.
I learned that the W number is the height of the beam and the # is the amount 1 foot of the beam weighs. So my 40' main beams will weigh 1600 lbs.

The engineer who worked out the beam specifications is a retired bridge builder.
At first glance from my untrained eye it seems like severe overkill but I would rather have it overbuilt than not.

An amazing fact is that between this post and my last post SwampDonky has built his house.

Jon

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  But you are still within your 5 year time-frame.  ;D  

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

SwampDonkey

You'll be in your new place before you know it and enjoying every moment there.

I'm sure enjoying mine. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Yup, you got it, the W specifies a Wide flange beam, what most of us call an I beam.
This morning I ordered some L 7x4x3/8... angle iron, those were all dimensions they are 13.6 lbs/ft, some 3/8x8" plate and 3x3x3/16 HSS, hollow structural steel, square tubing, for posts all to make some engineered headers and posts to reinforce block walls that someone decided to cut holes in without looking up.  I also had them get some C6x8.2, 6" C channel at 8.2 lbs/ft, the flange is 1-7/8" wide, to reinforce our big work basket. That was just a longwinded way of showing how they callout some of the steel shapes.

In the toolbox I noticed your beam sizes are in this calc, I've sort of populated it with beams as needed, those a pretty common sizes in residential work.
http://forestryforum.com/members/donp/steelbeamclc.htm

Weekend_Sawyer

Hanging iron. Boy did I pick a week to do it too!
It snowed a couple of inches Thursday evening. The telescoping forklift was delivered Friday afternoon. It snowed a couple of more inches Sunday and the steel was delivered Monday. Fun, fun, fun!

Saturday we made 4 saw horses to aid in beam handling. My buddy and neighbor Steve designed them and we built them in his shop.

Steve owns a cabinetry company and has a great shop in his barn about a mile from my place. We spent a fun afternoon there.

Here you can see they are holding a 40' 1,600lb beam.

Monday the tractor trailer showed up to deliver the steel but it was way too slick out to drive up to my lot so we unloaded him beside the road.

From there we loaded the beams and other stuff on my brothers 25' flatbed trailer and with the help of a 4wd tractor in a slick spot going up a hill we got all of the metal to my lot.

Here's the first beam going into place.

Here's a good shot of Chris slinging a 10 footer into place.

By the end of Thursday we had everything in place and most of the welding has been completed. The 10' sections at each end of the foundation will hold the concrete decks.

Weather permitting, I'll go up this weekend to shim the beams and adjust the lally columns. I'm really happy with the work we completed this weekend. I'm thankful for all of my talented friends who just stop by and pick up a shovel or hammer.

Jon

moosehunter

That floor system looks like  you could park semi trucks on it! Looking good!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, my engineer is a retired bridge builder.
In a tornado just stay home.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

Looking good Jon, solid and strong will weather most storms. ;D Lucky fella to have all that talent around you. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

My contractor poured 17 yards of concrete on the upper decks last week.
I felt almost guilty that work took me away and I couldn't be there to help.
He did a nice job pouring the 2 upper decks and sloping them away from the center. See that grey spot bottom center of the picture? That's the leftover concrete.

This weekend I am traveling to Vermont to meet with a timber framer and hopefully seal the deal on my cabin. I was hoping to go there last weekend and stop in at the northern get together but that work thing got in the way.

I am very happy with the progress that has been made lately.
Jon

Raider Bill

Great progress!
I'd hate to show you how much concrete I wasted building my place! :(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Looking good. I like as little waste as possible to. You'll soon be moving in. ;) I'm lucky here, that I can cut away from work when need be. Right now putting a game plan together for the garage. Off to get some material quotes as we speak.

Weekend_Sawyer

Moving forward with a purpose.

My check for the deposit on the timber frame has cleared! We are doing some productive back and forth to tighten up the design. We plan on standing up the frame the last week of September. I'll post a picture of the frame soon.

I have a lot to do before we stand it up. My general contractor and I are going to build the deck the last week of July. I posted a question about sub flooring in the timber framing section here;

Sub Floor in Timber Framing/Log construction

I have about 2000 bdft of random width 1" pine and poplar stacked and stickered and between now and the end of July I'll be using my buddy Steve's shop to plane and straight edge the boards, then re stack on site.

I had a local sawyer, Jeff, saw the 100 2x12 floor joists I need. I just didn't have the time or trees to get it done. Jeff is a real go getter and it turns out that mother nature provides, some heavy storms early this year blew down a bunch of white pines and my buddies from all around the area were calling me to come get logs. Jeff got most of them and I delivered a few when I could get up there. For log retrieval, sawing, delivering and stacking and stickering he charged me .75 bdft. I feel I got a great deal

100 floor joists you say???, Yes I say. I have 4 main beams spanning my foundation creating 3 sections. Each section needs 31 joists. I rounded up to100.

Waa Hoo
Jon

SwampDonkey

samandothers

Happy for your progress!  Sounds like things are moving and shaking on your build.  Good for you!  

Weekend_Sawyer

We got the floor joists and sub floor in. I had a crew of 3 local guys and they worked very well in mid 90 degree weather. I basically fetched water and supplies. I helped where I could and kept out of the way as needed!

Lets back up. I had decided that i needed 2000 bdft of 1' random width lumber for the sub floor. I had some on site but the majority of my air dried lumber was at my house and it needed to be edged and plained down to 15/16. I decided to work on it in my barn as some of my buddies were offering to help.

I set up a shop in the barn with a straight edging table that I made up and hauled my grizzly plainer out of the basement.

That little 20V Dewalt didn't work out too well. It tried hard but the battery charger couldn't keep up with how fast they were being drained.
I went out and bought a Ridgid worm drive. That did the trick. It's odd to have a saw that you have to check the oil in the transmission before use but it worked very well.
That's Dave, he wanted to get off his butt and sweat some. Boy did he get his wish!! We ran 2 fans and one of them was a big attic fan I built a platform for. We also kept a cooler full of water and sports drinks.

Charlie and his buddy Craig came up from southern Maryland just to enjoy the 92 degree weather and process some boards for me.

Notice the attic fan in the lower left. No shrouds, wouldn't want to impede the airflow!

Somewhere along about 1500 bdft my plainer started acting up. It would pop it's internal breaker every 2 to 3 boards. At this point my deadline of July 20th was looming large. I had to have 2000 bdft on the trailer and heading for WV that day. Nothing like living your life like you are on a reality tv show. I couldn't take time to figure out the problem so I fixed it with a credit card and a trip to Home depot.

Here's Donny running my new Dewalt plainer. Right off the bat we had a problem with dust collection. It just wasn't blowing the sawdust out the chute fast enough, it was blowing it back on Donny. I took the collector off and was just going to run it without one when I saw a piece of packing cardboard inside the collector. It kept it from being crushed in shipping I guess. It really kept the sawdust from getting around it. After that we were off and flying again.

I made my goal on Thursday the 18th.

Color coating the ends of the different widths helped a lot when they were putting it down.

Friday night we were loaded and ready to roll!

My brother Chris brought the load up and on Monday the guys started putting in floor joists.

And by Wednesday we were putting the deck down.

Here's the view looking up from below.

and on Friday we built a tent over the whole thing.

The tent keeps the weather off and allows air flow because in all honesty some of those boards were milled only 2 months ago.

On September 23 the timber frame and crane are scheduled to arrive.

That's all I have for now.
Hold Fast till the end of September!
Jon

SwampDonkey

Looking good!! Keep the momentum. 8) Nice to have good help when you need it.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

You been hustling!  Look forward to seeing the raising of the frame.  

WDH

Seeing that finished subfloor had to give you great satisfaction and make you proud. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Planing that much lumber down in that heat with a lunchbox planer is an impressive feat! Things are looking awesome!

Thank You Sponsors!