iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 330 Log Loader-late 90's model

Started by SWVAlogdog, March 24, 2016, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWVAlogdog

I purchased a Timberjack 330 Log Loader from an operator who had run it into the ground--no filters in either hydraulic tank, strainer baskets buckled and broken from the suction pressure.  I'm in the process of nursing it back to health.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience changing the filters in the secondary (lower) hydraulic oil tank...or better yet has a picture or two of the filter system in that tank.  The filter system on mine has been basically eliminated and I'm trying to get some ideas on how I need to put this back right.

I'm guessing the previous operator(s) figured the secondary system was only needed to put the stabilizers up and down--I'm pretty sure this unit hadn't run a bucksaw for a LONG time--and opted to eliminate the filter to save time, money, or just be stupid...
Certified Forester
Certified Arborist
Virginia SHARP Logger
1995 Mack RD688 log truck with SERCO 8500 knuckleboom loader
1970-something Tree Farmer C5D cable skidder

Bandmill Bandit

I know one guy that converted his timber jack loader/ picker over to external spin on filters. He put them on the return side of the system. Says it is a lot easier to do filters.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SWVAlogdog

Ok, I solved my filtration problems described above.  Basically rebuilt both systems.  In the process of either rebuilding the commutator (swivel for the electronic circuitry that carries signals from "upstairs" to "downstairs") or throwing it away and going to a wireless control system for the bucksaw and stabilizers ("downstairs" functions).  If anyone needs any help with this system, I'm now pretty familiar with it. 

Be safe out in the woods...
Certified Forester
Certified Arborist
Virginia SHARP Logger
1995 Mack RD688 log truck with SERCO 8500 knuckleboom loader
1970-something Tree Farmer C5D cable skidder

kiko

If you go wireless,  you must still adapt to the upper side to turn the motor that rotates the lower pump.  You could just remove the electrical swivel and replace with a homemade harness, of course you would loose continuous rotation.  Never really understood this set up .  A pump to turn a motor to turn a pump ( actually two pumps if you include the lower pilot pump) to supply a control valve and actuators.  Each set results in energy loss; is there not a theory on this. 

Thank You Sponsors!