iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter motor question???

Started by smsnipes, July 28, 2017, 11:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smsnipes

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have a few questions about a log splitter motor... I have what I guess you could call custom built splitter from the 80's that is in need  of a new motor. It currently has a Tecumseh motor on it with absolutely no markings to indicate size. If I did my math correctly it is a 49 ton splitter. It has a 6 / 2.5 gpm two stage pump and a 5 inch cylinder. With that being said how many HP motor would you think I need? I know the general rule of thumb is a 1/2 hp for every gpm but I don't want this thing  stalling out every time I turn around.. Any help / advice is appreciated . Thanks

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm running a 20GPM splitter with a 5" cylinder and I have an 11 HP Honda. Works fine.

mjeselskis

That's a pretty small pump. A 5hp engine should run it just fine
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Al_Smith

FWIW I have a 5" cylinder with a 11 HP electric start Briggs and 16 gal per minute .In answer to the question if you go to Surplus center  hydraulics they have charts which will tell you exactly what you want to know . 5 GPM would be rather slow I would think . I might add even at 16 gal per min. mine is rather slow .Fast enough though for an old coot like me . ;D

John Mc

With a 5" cylinder, I'd be going with at least 11GPM pump. A 16 would be better.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

smsnipes

Thanks for the responses! Yeah it moves a little slow but it splits everything that comes it's way that's for sure. I didn't build it so until recently I didn't even know how many gpm it was. Ill check out that chart.

york

Hi,your a little off,on your tonnage rating...If you set your PRV at 3000 psi
Best you can get is 29.2 tons...I would have nothing less than 9hp and flow 16 gpm....Like Honda..
Albert

smsnipes

IDK what prv is but the pump says 5000psi.

smsnipes

Oh the relief valve.. IDK what that's set at atm.

John Mc

To calculate tonnage:

(D/2) X (D/2) X Pi X actual PSI/2000  (where D is cylinder diameter and Pi is approx 3.14).

BE aware that almost every log splitter manufacturer GREATLY exaggerates their tonnage ratings. I'm not sure how they get away with it, but they all seem to do it (one notable exception is Timberwolf, who gives honest ratings).

Your pump may be capable of 5000 psi (or maybe it was when new), but what are the rest of the components in the system rated? I've seen splitters running at 3000 or 3200, but have not seen a commercial model operating higher than that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21incher

That seems like a small pump for a 5 inch cylinder when it kicks into the second stage,  you may want to upgrade the pump and motor to speed it up a bit if the hoses and valve can handle a higher flow.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jmur1

I have been using a 15 hp motor on a 5" cylinder with both 16, and  22 gpm (two stage) pumps.  Seem to work ok.  I have considered to move up to 28 gpm but think I would need an upgraded engine to handle it.  I'll let you know if I make the move. 
Easy does it

Thank You Sponsors!