iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw motor to power a go-kart/butt-buggy

Started by SnoJetter, March 31, 2005, 01:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

This is an odd inqcuiry, but I figure this is the right forum to bring it up.

What's the feasibility of using a chainsaw motor for a go-kart sort of vehicle?  Not a racing kart, or even a heavy-duty off-road sort of machine, but just as a powerplant to pull (or push) a guy around.  I know there's issues like low-torque output that would need to be dealt with.  Can a fellow get a proper chain-drive clutch to fit on one of these motors?  It seems to me there are enough old saws available that can be had for a fair price to beat locating a more spendy Briggs or Honda.

Anybody ever tried this and come up with a good set-up?

I'm not the only one that's ever considered this, am I?

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

Buzz-sawyer

Far from it..look on google or dogpile..there is an entire racing and industrial heritage that has been around at least since the 60's.......tremendous torque for a great hole shot............. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sigidi

what about those little scooter-type bike/ skatboardythingos folkes are buzzing around on nowadays??

Admittedly they aren't setting any landspeed records, but the engines would be about chainsaw size and do move around well???
Always willing to help - Allan

SnoJetter

That's kinda what I was thinking, not a hot-rod dune buggy, but something that could at least drive in the grass and climb a hill.  I figured the torque issue could be overcome with proper gearing, but I didn't these motors had much brake torque...

I'm actually 155 pounds, but only a punk every now and then  ;D

I'll do a search on google.  Any specific sites or reccomendations you could point me to specifically?

Thanks guys!

Kyle

Jeff

Way back in da 70's,  ;D  the neighbor kids had a go cart that had two mcculloch engines on it. One on each back wheel. It was a screamer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

A variable pitch type trans would be best for this...like northern sells...(snowmobile type).....A scate board engine is small weed eater type...155 # plus a frame is 60cc or better to get up that hill :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguy21

Those modified McCullochs were the hot ticket for karts in the 60's. I would have sold my sister to the Cossacks for one :D Comet makes the Torque-verter which bolts to the engine but I don't know if it could be adapted to a saw. Sure would be fun if it works.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brian_Rhoad

Chainsaw engines are hard to hook up to a kart. The crank is tapered and it is usually too short to put a clutch on it that will match up to a sprocket to drive a wheel or axle. The other problem with saw engines is they run too fast unless you are racing it.  A saw engine runs at 10,000 rpms or more. Most of the kart engines run around half that rpm, unless you are racing. I race karts and use a modified Briggs 6.5 HP OHV engine. The engine when modified and running on methanol puts out over 25 HP. You would be better off to buy a used 4 stroke engine for your application.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brian_Rhoad

With a billet rod and regular maintenance it will last a full season without major work.

Larry

I raced one of those karts with twin Mac's on it about mid 60's.  If memory serves me right we used Mac 50's?  Had tuned straight exhausts on em and Jeff was right...they screamed.  Added little something to the fuel to get more horsepower.  Seemed  like top speed was something above 60mph.  No clutch...push started them in gear and used a straight axle.

First kart had a Clinton motor on it...it was 4 cycle and maybe 3 1/2 hp.  It had a centrifugal clutch and the engine only drove one wheel to make turning easy.  Seemed like it would run close to 30 mph.  Think Clinton went out of business years ago.

Wow Brian...with 25 HP on a kart I bet your flying low!! 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DonE911

I had one as a kid.... it had a big homelite wiz on it... straight axel ... the thing was very fast,but you had to have your buddies push you to get rolling... after that you were flying.  I was probably 12 years old so flying then and flying now are 2 different things.  I know it would outrun my friends minibike, maybe 40 mph on a long straight run.   

Brian_Rhoad

The class I run is called Wing Kart Outlaws. The only rules are safety and minimum weight to keep the karts more equal. They look like a miniature sprint car. We run on dirt tracks from 1/5 to 1/2 mile in length. We average 70-75 mph on the 1/5 mile and over 95 on the 1/2. Straight away speeds on the 1/2 mile are over 120 mph. I guess you could say we are flying low!

Thank You Sponsors!