iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carport

Started by bobe, March 05, 2019, 06:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobe

I am new to the forum, and looking for all the help I can get.  I am retired and living in central Fla. and would like to build a 24' X 24' timber frame carport using local lumber.  Although the career I retired from was not in the building trades, I have built two stick built houses, two log homes (one from logs we cut ourselves, and one with logs we bought, and a 40 X 50 gambrel roof barn from construction lumber.  Since retiring in 2004, I ran my own custom furniture/cabinet shop from our 25 acre plot in Fla.  I have since quit that and would like to build the carport.  I have no experience in timber framing, and cannot find plans online, but I feel that with good plans and guidence I could do it.  I have a sawmill very close by where I should be able to buy what I need.   Would sure appreciate any and all help.

Mike W

Bobe,

Welcome to the FF, a lot of great information to be gleamed from this forum for sure.  Peep's here are going to need more information to be of any assistance to you, someone with a lot more knowledge then I will chime in for sure.  What species of wood are you thinking of using?  Are you computer skills in line with comfortably using programs such as Sketchup or CAD?  A quick rendering of what you are thinking would go a long way in getting feedback from others.  How is the anchoring points you intend to use to hold the carport down?  Height of carport?  Pitch of roof desired?  Your post indicated wanting to do a timberframe style construction, can you narrow down your desired appeal a bit more for those with the know how to chime in? What type of roofing system are you looking at?  Are there any sides being enclosed?  These are the type of initial information those in the know will be looking for before engaging with you on your quest.  I have obtained a mountain of knowledge from reading a ton of posts and comments in my quest of a timberframe, I am a builder by trade and yet find this site invaluable in knowing what I knew I didn't know and gives me the foundation to keep moving forward.  Let us know a bit more then your opening statement and as mentioned, I am sure those who should (not me) will chime in..  Best and again welcome to the FF 

AZ_builder

I'm sure your aware but Florida May have stricter code for a carport than other states without hurricanes. Keep that in mind with the info you get here.

bobe

Thank you for getting back to me.  

bobe

I was trying to post a photo, but I goofed it up.  Will try again later after I find out what I am doing wrong.

Mike W

At the bottom of the FF main page is a short video explaining how to post photo's of the forum, created by Jeff, well put together, short and to the point, quite simple once figured out, like most things in life eh?

look forward to the photo's should give a better understanding to what your after for those in the know to chime in.

Best

florida

bobe,
I'm not a timber frame builder but I am in Florida. You're certainly going to have to meet new codes and will have to have sealed(by an engineer) blueprints before you build. I imagine they may require steel plates or large bolts on your joints. I'll be interested to see how it plays out. I submitted plans for a simple partition wall across an office 13 weeks ago. They just turned me  down because the entry doors weren't marked as exits on the plans. I have to have the engineer re-draw the plans and resubmit them to the building department.  Hopefully it's better where you are.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ljohnsaw

Also, from what I remember from my cabin design, a "car port", i.e. a roof-only structure, will have significantly more uplift than a fully enclosed garage.  Not that I'm pushing for a garage, just what to expect in terms of the strength of the structure and the foundation.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bobe

I am sorry that I have been unable to get back on this post, but I have been out of town, should be able to back this week.  I appreciate the responses so far.  Will try to post a picture of what I am looking for soon.

Thank you all again.

carhartted

Check out timber frame hq. Am currently putting up a timber frame from one of their plans. May give you some ideas, although the plans are not engineered.
Here's to making sawdust.

Thank You Sponsors!