iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Training

Started by Timber Knight, February 03, 2020, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber Knight

Hey, I would like to know if there are any forestry training programs in the upper East Tennessee area? I'm looking for classes in tree falling, saw handling, and rigging. I've been around saws and cutting wood sense I was young. But never really got trained in cutting timber properly. It was more like we need fire wood, so let's go cut it. Thanks 

John Mc

Are you looking to do this professionally, or do you want to get training to handle your own needs?

I'd suggest searching out chainsaw safety training organizations in your area. I know some god ones in VT, MA and NY, but TN is a bit out of my area. The Game of Loggingtraining is popular around here, but other areas of the country have similar programs.

If you can't find any with a google search, try connecting with some forest landowner organizations in your area for recommendations.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Timber Knight

Thanks John for the info. I do have a full time job so not planning on doing it for a leaving. But my work schedule would allow me time to do it.  I was wanting to start a tree trimming business on the side. Nothing big, small jobs and make some extra money. I would like to have some training on a few things and ask questions. 

John Mc

Quote from: Timber Knight on February 06, 2020, 11:30:55 PM
Thanks John for the info. I do have a full time job so not planning on doing it for a leaving. But my work schedule would allow me time to do it.  I was wanting to start a tree trimming business on the side. Nothing big, small jobs and make some extra money. I would like to have some training on a few things and ask questions.
The Game of Logging-type training is a good opportunity to ask questions. Classes are small - generally around 10 participants, max. The instructors in my area are excellent: I really appreciated their approach to training.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

+1 for the GOL classes. John and I have discussed this in several threads in the last year or two. I am up to level three and might take 4 in June if they have an opening to fill, but I don't need it yet. Great knowledge and experienced instructors that can answer and help you with your specific questions and needs. Probably saved my neck a time or two. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

While I strongly believe there is no substitute for hands-on training under the supervision of a good instructor, there are some good videos out there which can give you some background. One problem is that out can be tough to tell the good ones from the guys who just got lucky and really have no idea how dangerous some of their habits are.

One of the better video series I've seen is put out by Husqvarna:
Husqvarna Chainsaw Usage and Safety

A lot of the techniques they describe are similar to those taught in GOL and other safety classes. It's not a substitute for being there in person, but it is some interesting background, and a lot to think about or try out while you are waiting for a class to come up in your area.

Timber Knight

Thanks for the link. I had no idea that Husqarna had something like that. Very good information. 

Thank You Sponsors!