iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Autine chisels

Started by Syvva, January 06, 2020, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syvva

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience with Autine timber framing chisels/slicks?
I have read mixed reviews about their axes but can`t find much information about other tools.

I`m after 1" and 1 1⁄2" chisels and 2 1⁄2″ slick. Would love to buy Barr but they are very hard to find in Europe. One place does sell them (Classic Hand Tools Limited) and they want 235 USD for one chisel.

Thanks.

Magicman

I have John's "Carpenter's Axe" and "Knife"and I would think that the quality of anything that he makes would be superb.  He made both of my items under the John Neeman logo before he left and started Autine.  He is a top notch craftsman.

Several other FF members have items that he produced, both under the John Neeman and the Autine logo.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Usually for timberframing, we use 1.5" and 2".  You note 1"?   I also have 1" framing chisel, but here mortises are usually either 1.5" or 2".
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Syvva

Hi guys,

Thank you for informative replies.
Magicman, your tools from John do look exceptional. How long did it take to receive your tools after placing the order?
Too bad that there is no info about his chisels. I wonder if he also sells drawknives?

This video in particular made me think twice before placing my order:
Why My Autine Axe Failed | Wranglerstar - YouTube

If tool like this is sent to customer then to me it is a sign of wrong mindset.

Now in 2020 are all Autine tools still produced by Jānis? He probably has some other bladesmiths working for him?
Strange that they are currently running two web sites: Home | Autine and Home - AUTINETOOLS.
Probably because he gained his reputation as John Neeman.

Brad_bb:

I`m actually studying traditional log house building. Windlocks on some of our joints are 30 mm wide so 1" chisel is needed. In my opinion 2" chisel is not really needed for log house building.

Magicman

I am quite sure that there are other "employees" working at Autine, but I am also quite sure that John would satisfactorily address any quality or warranty issues.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tim_W

This is my set of chisels from Autine, used them to build my timber frame.  Amazing tools, hold an edge and superb craftsmanship.  I think I had to sharpen my 2" once in the entire build, and that is because I dropped it.  Janis (John) made them for me at my request.  He may do it again although they do not advertise them on their website anymore.  Took 6 months to get them, but they were worth the wait.  

>

Syvva

Thanks for sharing your experience Tim_W.
They sure look amazing and your positive feedback does give me confidence to buy chisels from Autine. 6 months  :o
Was it in the early days of Autine when you ordered your set?

Chisels are still available on their website:
1? Chisel | Autine
1,5? Chisel | Autine
2,5? Slick | Autine

and also here:
Tools > Chisels - AUTINETOOLS

What is the actual blade length of the chisels? On their website they say "(9,5") 228 mm" but 9,5" = 241 mm.
I assume that beveled edges were an option?

Tim_W

Syvva it was 2 years ago, and at that time they wanted to focus on axes and knives.  Interesting on the links, Autinetools.com website shows no chisels, and Johnneeman.com does.  So not sure which site is their current one.  I would just send Karline (sister) an email, she takes a few days to respond, or, if you are in Europe take a trip to go see them in person!  Wish I could do that.  Anyway, I be they would make you a set, but the forge is busy, and there will be a wait.  Not exactly sure on the length.  The beveled edges were an option.  I If i ordered them again, I would forgo the 1.5 inch, and get a corner chisel instead.  The 2" and slick were all I used.  Hope that helps.  Janis is an amazing craftsman, you wont be disappointed, and you can request that only Janis makes your set, they will honor that.

Syvva

Thanks Tim, I really appreciate your input.
It is odd that chisels are not listed under "Shop" tab on Autinetools.com. But they do pop up when viewing some other tools.
Actually the forge is only 300 km from my town so I might go and pay them a visit.
I will try to reach Karline.

Magicman

If you do go, please take and share pictures with us.  :)

Dave Shepard

Tim, are the backs of the tools curved? The set of Autine tools I saw had the curve going the wrong way. They were almost useless. The craftsmanship was excellent, just got that one detail wrong. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tim_W

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 15, 2020, 06:26:01 PM
Tim, are the backs of the tools curved? The set of Autine tools I saw had the curve going the wrong way. They were almost useless. The craftsmanship was excellent, just got that one detail wrong.

Dave mine are not.  They are flat backed chisels.  

Syvva

Yes flat back is absolutely mandatory for chisel.
Nearly a week now and no response from Autine.  :-\

Bruno of NH

I see the chisels sold on the Northmen guild site
Try there.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Syvva on January 21, 2020, 06:55:20 AM
Yes flat back is absolutely mandatory for chisel.
Nearly a week now and no response from Autine.  :-\
Mine are all old American chisels, and they have a sweep on the back. It's a personal preference. However, a hump on the back is out of the question. 
Northmen is not Autine, that's Janis' former business partner, I believe. Make sure you are getting genuine Autine tools.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

frwinks

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 21, 2020, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: Syvva on January 21, 2020, 06:55:20 AM
Yes flat back is absolutely mandatory for chisel.
Nearly a week now and no response from Autine.  :-\
Mine are all old American chisels, and they have a sweep on the back. It's a personal preference. However, a hump on the back is out of the question.
Northmen is not Autine, that's Janis' former business partner, I believe. Make sure you are getting genuine Autine tools.
I love the gentle sweep on my vintage KeenKutter as well.  I find myself reaching for it over the Barr for fine tuning joinery

Dave Shepard

I think the Barr chisels are very high quality. Sadly, they are not shaped to my liking. 

Syvva

Sweep on the back is also acceptable but I prefer them flat.
Yes, Northmen is not Autine. To me most of Northmen items look more like decorative items than tools.

Regarding Autine it seems like they are not interested in making chisels. I have written them several emails but still no response.
I also asked the price of one small knife via different email and got an answer within a day.
Very strange customer service.

Jeff

Email these days is fickled. Odds are they didnt get it. Happens all the time the email does not get delivered for one reason or another. I hate email
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DOCatRU

I have a set of Autine chisels that I bought a few years ago.  2.5 Slick, 1.5 inch, and corner chisel.   I have used them in cutting mortises and cleaning tenons while making replacement parts for the rotted sill in my timber frame barn built in 1829.

I will use them this summer to build my first building (a 12 foot by 14 foot timber frame picnic shelter).

The chisels hold an edge exceptionally well and sharpen easily on Japanese water stones and sandpaper.

I'm not a professional, but they have served me well.  I had a 3 month wait time in 2016 for them to be made and shipped to the United States.

Syvva

So far email has worked fine for me and I have not had this kind of problems. If possible I do prefer calling because it is much quicker. By the way I have tried reaching them by phone probably 10 times already - still nothing.

Now I`m starting to think that maybe I`m better off because it might not be good idea to purchase any tools from Autine after all. If their communication is at non existent level when selling tools then I doubt that it is any better when dealing with problems.
Such a pity really because some of my mates and fellow students were also interested in their tools.

Tim_W

Quote from: Syvva on January 15, 2020, 03:22:26 PM
Thanks Tim, I really appreciate your input.
It is odd that chisels are not listed under "Shop" tab on Autinetools.com. But they do pop up when viewing some other tools.
Actually the forge is only 300 km from my town so I might go and pay them a visit.
I will try to reach Karline.
Syvva keep trying them.  If you can visit them in person that would be ideal.  They seem a bit overwhelmed sometimes I think, maybe because there is only just a few of them trying to keep up.  

CJ

Here are some hand forged framing chisels that I bought out of Russia or the Ukraine on e-Bay. I had contacted the seller in another auction for some chisels that were not quite what I wanted, so I requested a set of framing chisels including a 1 1/2", 2", a 3" slick and a 1" corner chisel. I ended up being the winning bid at the last second of the auction for $156 US. The cost for shipping was $50 US.
When they arrived, they were well packed in bubble wrap and not damaged. The handles are made of ash and are well made. The chisels themselves didn't have a super sharp edge, so I brought them into a local blade sharpener and he fine tuned them to a razors edge. He was impressed with the hardness of the steel and said that they were a 62RC. His words were, 'if you drop any of these on a finger or a toe, just put that part in a bag of ice and go to the hospital.'
I used the chisels to build my timber frame last winter, and I can't begin to tell you how awesome these things are! I mean I could shave the wood to almost a translucent thinness. Crazy sharp! They are worth the every bit of the money that I spent on them and more. And, they stay sharp a long time before they need to be touched up with a 2500 wet paper (auto body paper)
If you go on line and search timber chisels Ukraine, I believe that you will find another smith that fabricates chisels at a really reasonable rate.  
Set of Five Big Chisels with Beveled Edges in the Leather Bag | Etsy

Thank You Sponsors!