iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Score Of The Day Thread

Started by mike_belben, December 15, 2021, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

I will say that with the thin-ness of the plates that I'm welding to the galvanized (with a gasless mig welder) that I'm hitting the galvanized for a much longer time, just trying to make a puddle, to stick the plate to. The plate almost burns through immediately. I'm not seeing much smoke release though. I won't say none but other than the shine of the plates darkening my helmet prematurely seeing through smoke was not an issue. 

Thanks, guys, for the tips!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Corley5

If I need to weld something galvanized, I hit it with an angle grinder first and knock off the galvanized where I'm going to weld. Much more pleasant ffsmiley
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

aigheadish

Yeah, I've done that too Corley!

I tried a blow torch to heat the area I was about to weld but it wasn't terribly useful. I could have tried an oxy-acetylene torch but I didn't want to waste the gas while I was welding or have to refire it every time. That, and as I reach over to weld I find my stomach hitting parts that are a bit warm, if I used a real torch I'd likely burn myself pretty good. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

caveman

The last time I welded a lot of galvanized was early September.  I felt terrible the following days.  I drank milk, which usually helps, but after three days, I still felt bad and just about everyone in my family (mother, grandchildren, children) tested positive for Covid the next week.  I doubt that I contracted it from welding, but I felt bad and  DanG near killed my mother.  She had a tough time with the virus.  

Generally, I grind off as much zinc as I can, have decent ventilation and try to get it done.   
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!