iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a market for this

Started by woodhick, October 25, 2005, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I am currently on a job resawing large oak timbers for a local company.  These timbers are new kiln dried in a radio frequency vac kiln. The timbers are bought green 2" oversized.  Loose a 1/2" in drying and the resaw to final dimension to take out any bow or twist that occured during drying.  In the process we are ending up with a bunch of thin 1/8" to 1/2" boards. Also a bunch of 1/2" to 1" boards. We do try to keep the two thicknesses seperated.  The lumber has a lot of checks and cracks caused by what I would consider collapse or honeycombing.  For sure this in not high grade lumber but what would be some markets for besides barn siding as it is kiln dried.   ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

GaS

I'm just curious, what are the original dimesions of the timbers?

Sprucegum

Antique arts&craft furniture?

Check with some local woodworkers or cabinetmakers - just a thought.

Ga_Boy

Woodhick,

Durning my education in markerting, I learned many things about taking a product to the market place.  One thing you do not do is take a product to the market place just because you can produce the product, or in your case the by-product.

You are doing the right thing in that you are looking for a market.  I hope you realize that there may not be a market for your product, I would think there would be a maket albeight a small market by the way you describe the product.  I like the suggetstion of antique restoration or artisians. 

They are always on the lookout for a unique material for their projects.   Good luck!
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Brad_S.

If I can't find a market for 1" material, it eventually becomes stickers. You can never have too many of them! A number of my sawing clients buy them from me when I have extra, but I usually don't have many too spare. 1/2" would be harder to find a use for.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

IndyIan

You should call up DanG, sounds like he could use some for his parquet flooring.   :)

Maybe some of the engineered flooring companies would be interested? 

Ian

Den Socling

Hey Ian,

I'm going to be downunder at Christchurch installing a vac kiln for one of those engineered flooring companies. That's some heavy duty flooring.

Den

Den Socling

opps! wrong Ian. It's Ianab who is in New Zealand. What's your location?

Den

woodhick

Thanks for all the input.
GaS, Timbers run anywhere from 4"x6"  to 14"x16" up to 26' long.  :o  It gets kinda tough on a manual mill.  Going to have to add hydraulics. ;)
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

ohsoloco

I have a guy that takes all of my thin pieces from the mill, I just throw them in a pile and call him when there's enough worth picking up.  He uses it for scroll saw work.  A little cash here and there, but I really want him to make me something in exchange for the wood...I just burn it anyway.  This stuff is green, that kiln dried stuff would be much nicer.  Look at some woodworking catalogs and see what they're charging for those small, thin pieces of lumber  :-\

Rockn H

If it's low grade, what about pallet stock?

raycon

What is the MC of the kiln dried timbers? If its in the 10-  15% range boat builders, ship wrights, restorers might be interested if you have white oak as well. Ribs that make up the shape of a hull can be made up from laminations of white oak,adhesive and epoxy. Usually it is QSawn and straight grained for the length of the rib + some buffer.  So not all the stock you have would be useable for that application. (I could use it as the cruiser I'm working on rigt now is all 1/2 inch white oak ribbing ...but I have a mill and plenty of white oak)
Do  a search in google for "white oak laminated ribs" some boat project questions should pop up.  A ad in the back of wooden boat magazine  might be an idea or a call to a boat kit supplier.
Lot of stuff..

rebocardo

Packaged firewood to sell in 7/11 stores. Rip it into 1x4x24 pieces and sell it as kiln dried firewood. 

Thank You Sponsors!