iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating a small ventilated space - Hunting, Fishing, Camping

Started by SwampDonkey, May 15, 2013, 06:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Hi everyone. I know there are lots of folks on here that spend a few hours out in their huts fishing or hunting shacks/blinds during cool or cold weather and some late season camping I suppose. Anyway, I had an idea to use a tent as a dry room and I thought I would give the Mr Heater - Big Buddy propane heater a try. It takes two 1 lb propane tanks from Coleman or you can use a 20 lb propane tank. Uses 4 D batteries for a blower and to ignite the pilot. Also has oxygen sensor and tip over protection that shuts it down. I would not be using it in sleeping quarters just for drying mostly and maybe a sponge bath, but in a ventilated tent. I picked one up today, seems to work pretty effortlessly. Nice and warm to. I was going to test it in my tent to dry some clothes and gear on my tripod I posted about in another thread.

I was wondering if anyone has used them or any type of small space heaters like this in their outdoor pursuits. ;D

I will be camping in the bush most weeks this season for work, just to save on traveling and gas. Rough'n it as they say. Lots of crown land here, so free camping sites. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here's the heater.

With bottle attached, takes two, one per side.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WmFritz

I've got a few of them. We use them in our fishing shanties and deer blinds.

It'll be fine in a tent but, you CANNOT use them in an unventilated space for sleeping. The one pound bottles aren't cheap. Either run off a 20# bottle or get the refill adapter. Should work good for drying clothes.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

The bottles cost $3.85 a piece. I will be compact as possible and I didn't want the 20 lb tank option. Anyway, if they will last me 4 days for what I need, I will be happy with it. I'll bet $3 of that is for the bottle.

A whole other topic when it comes to refilling. I believe, at least in Canada, those adapters to refill 1 lb bottles are illegal. Can't buy them here. Even Amazon.ca does not sell them direct, they come from a US source. It seems like a huge waste to dispose of these bottles and we cannot just toss them in the curb side garbage pick up.

SwampDonkey

I set up the 'dry tent' today with the tripod set up inside and new space heater. My tent is open in the top and I put a cover over it, but lots of air flow. Plus there was a 10 mph wind whistling all day. So I dried some clothes and it was an hour on medium heat setting. Seems fine to me.  ;)

Ken

Camping in the woods while looking after some whining thinners.  Hat's off to you.  Along about next week when the black flies really begin to take hold you may be longing for your comfy bed and computer.   A few years back I set up a remote camp for a few guys but the novelty wore out within a couple of weeks.   

My reduced spacing crew starts back next week.  Guess who is spending part of the holiday weekend hanging ribbon in preparation.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WmFritz

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

You won't go thru so much propane after all. Sounds like you got a good plan Swamp.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Ken,

I'm not new to camping out for work. Done it for years. I just never done it for a few years. The car seats roll back for a nice comfy bed when an air mattress is tossed in there. Radio for entertainment, air conditioning, and power inverter for charging. Just like home. :D :D :D With the way I set up my camp I never get bothered by flies too much. Ask Jeff on here, I'm immune anyway. ;) Then there's only 3 months of flies. ;D There's no holidays in this business unless you just make one and take some time for yourself. Only the banks and government take stat. holidays. The working stiff has to ....well....work. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!