iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few pics on a late fall day around the mill

Started by Quebecnewf, November 12, 2015, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Good luck with the logging,maybe the ice bridge will be there for you this year.
Post some pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It is amazing to me to see how you blend in completely different job descriptions such is gathering, transporting, and sawing as the seasons change.  I admire your routine and thank you for sharing pictures of your working adventurers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Agree with thecfarm and magicman, and real glad that you take us along on your various journey's.
Looking forward to the ice developing for you, and the logging operation...  :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

thanks for the pics
All I can say is BRRR
Going to check your gallery pics.
Dont know how much you saw but my edging pile is about 1 1/2 times the size of your slabs.
Mostly due to shake in the hemlock.
I cant burn it legally
Guess ill just saw till I run out of room and retire.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Would love to look at all your gallery pics but it appears to be clumsy to go from pic to pic.
Am I doing something wrong?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Gallerys can be seen pic by pic. Just click on the forum name, and on "My Gallery".

Then go to the Menu tab "Album List" and click "last uploads" for the latest first. Then click a pic and it will enlarge. You can then click the arrow tabs left/right to move from pic to pic. Quebecnewf is good at putting some notes with pics, so it is helpful to see what he is showing.

You can do the same by clicking the "Forestry Forum Gallery" at the top of the Sponsor list on the left. See the latest pics added, as well as can drop off to any member gallery for a pic shown. Play with it, and you will get considerable entertainment and info.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 20, 2015, 06:07:55 PM
thanks for the pics
All I can say is BRRR
Going to check your gallery pics.
Dont know how much you saw but my edging pile is about 1 1/2 times the size of your slabs.
Mostly due to shake in the hemlock.
I cant burn it legally
Guess ill just saw till I run out of room and retire.

We don,t do a big lot of sawing . This year we sawed around 600 logs. That's about the amount we can cut in a winter. Mostly what would be called small logs . All softwood , spruce and fir.

We use all the log. Lumber is sold locally . Slabs are for myself and my brothers, mom to heat our homes.

Not the best firewood by any means but waste not want not. My slab pile is small because I try to skin each log. Make a small opening face cut, say 3" . Then a one inch thick firring strip to be edged later. Turn 90 deg. Another face cut ,then another 1" thick firring strip to be edged later. Turn 90 deg and do it again. Turn last 90 deg, maybe get another strip depending on size of log. Then saw out your 2x4 or 2x6 or whatever..Slow but little wastage.

Most of the time the firring strips that are real slow to saw out and then edge and plane later pay for the cost of transport and sawing the log. The lumber is all clear profit.

Let us not forget that every log is different and sometimes none of this goes as planned and you would have been better to have left that one on the stump. If only you knew that before you hauled it home and put it on the mill.....
Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!