iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MO Trees

Started by mesquite buckeye, October 22, 2013, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Out working and enjoying the Missouri farm. Thought I would share some photos.

The next two generations to take care of the trees, my nephew and his son.
The tree in the photo is the hybrid oak which I believe to be northern red oak X shingle oak. The next two show the form of the tree and the strange, orbicular leaves.

Black cherry in fall color.

Pruned cedar with smooth closeover of knots. : )

We had a lot of our cedars ruined from a 20" wet snow last winter. An example.

Torkies eating soybeans.

Couple of fine red oaks needing release thinning.

After thinning.

Free at last!

Figured out that one of my bur oaks was a red mulberry. This year was the first year I had seen this with the leaves on. Three main trunks, 20", 19", 12". 89.5' tall. Soon to be Missouri State Champion red mulberry. Pretty cool.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Could you post a more close-up pic of the mulberry leaves?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

I will try to do that. Unbelieveably good form for mulberry. I thought maybe basswood, but there aren't any out there and the teeth seem too big for that. The woods are full of the normal, crooked mulberries.
'
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Thanks for the tour.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

WDH

Are the leaves scabrous  ???. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

WDH

Nice!  The buds should be a bit heart shaped.  Slightly inequilateral, but not to the extent that basswood is.

A state champion is grounds for celebration.  Maybe Shrimp and grits.

mesquite buckeye

I would have to shoot one down with a 22 to see one. They are all up top. I have never seen one of such fine form. Ever heard of a veneer grade mulberry?
This one is. ;D

mesquite buckeye

And I would have to say grits, si, and shrimp, no. Makes my tummy hurt. :(

giant splinter

Nice neck of the woods ........ your keeping up with it too,looks great ;D
roll with it

Gary_C

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 22, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
I thought maybe basswood, but there aren't any out there and the teeth seem too big for that.

That threesome looks like typical basswood to me.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Cedarman

If you have a lot of the cedar that is growing bowed over, there are markets for bowed cedar, so don't be too quick to get rid of them.  The amish in Mo make a lot of furniture and they may be interested.
Thanks for the tour.  Having woodlands to "play" with is a great past time and can be very productive.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Gary_C on October 23, 2013, 12:27:39 AM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 22, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
I thought maybe basswood, but there aren't any out there and the teeth seem too big for that.

That threesome looks like typical basswood to me.

We are looking to see if we can find a basswood fruit near it. If that is indeed what it is, that would make it a state ordinary tree. We will look some more. Thanks for the input. I haven't seen many basswoods since I was a kid.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Cedarman on October 23, 2013, 08:11:49 AM
If you have a lot of the cedar that is growing bowed over, there are markets for bowed cedar, so don't be too quick to get rid of them.  The amish in Mo make a lot of furniture and they may be interested.
Thanks for the tour.  Having woodlands to "play" with is a great past time and can be very productive.

We probably have at least 50. We were going to cut them up. Any suggestions would be helpful. There is an Amish colony about 25 miles from me.

WDH

Looks like basswood to me, too.  If it is, the buds on the twigs will be will be fat and juicy and will set off to the side of the leaf scar quite noticeably versus sitting right on top of the leaf scar.  I call them inequilateral buds.   

mesquite buckeye

Went back and did some looking up. The "mulberry" bark sure looks like basswood. Here are some leaves.

We spent a bit of time looking for basswood fruits to confirm, but no luck. Maybe with binoculars up top. The biggest leaves are maybe 5 or 6 inches long.

beenthere

Hmmm Looks like basswood leaves.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Too basswoody  :).

Check out the fat inequilateral buds  :P.

mesquite buckeye

They are mostly pretty high.

WDH

I can see a climb in your future  ;D.

mesquite buckeye

WDM, you are a bad guy, trying to make the old man climb such a tree and get kilt. ;D

First photo is from a tree that looks just like the big one, similar bark, leaves 4-8", unlobed.

This one is from a nearby for sure red mulberry, with a mix of lobed and unlobed leaves 4-6". Both plants are coloring up yellow at the same time.

Buds sure look the same to me. What do you think?

LeeB

do basswood's fruits look anything like mulberries?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

Not at all. Basswood has a weird modified leaf with a fruit cluster hanging off the bottom. As I remember, the fruits are pretty round and maybe 3/16". That's why I was looking for them, very distinctive.

Mulberries have a multiple fruit that looks a lot like a long blackberry, sort of.

If you saw either in fruit, there is no way you would confuse them.

LeeB

I know what mulberry fruits look like, but did not know what basswood fruit looks like. I have trees with leaves that look like yours that are mulberries according to the fruit. Just wondered if I was wrong about them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!