iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some log truck pics

Started by Ianab, January 24, 2013, 07:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Never seen snorkels on a hood truck before.  

That 350 cummins pulling over 5/8 of a million gross on page 1 is just incredible.  Absurd but incredible. 
Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

Wonder how "fast" it pulled that load?  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Looking back at these posts. Hardtailjohn looks like he did some serious log hauling back in the day. On some sketchy roads 😂

mike_belben

Lets just say youd wanna be infront of it goin up the hill, and far far away coming down it!

Honestly i cant imagine how bad the 7th car would be swaying all over.  The fedex wiggle wagons are bad enough and thats just doubles full of cardboard and coffeemakers. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

Those are nice looking logs, I have never seen a load quite like that. I saw a highway rig with lift axles on the truck and tridem trailer the other day, I didn't think that is legal here. :o

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Nice load. Do you know what the point of those snorkels is? It looks to me like the visibility would be horrible with those things in your field of view.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

More air flow. In those parts the seem to like to do that 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 12, 2020, 08:56:27 PM
More air flow. In those parts the seem to like to do that
Plus the say for the dust there

moodnacreek

Fed x wiggle wagons? That's funny. Remember when UPS drivers where Buster Brown?  Those air intakes remind me of 2 cb antennas pointing forward.

Tacotodd

On a 4X4 it's for deep water fording, but yeah, on some other apps, because of the dust. Think of it as a "pre" filter of sorts.
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

I should of stated my question differently...I understand what snorkels are for in most applications, I just can't understand why you would have them in front of your windshield like that. Also, our trucks operate off road a considerable amount, and we just have regular airboxes without any issue.
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

From what I've read, the higher air intakes are to avoid dust. Especially in places like Australia where they cross the scorching hot dry desert, and traveling behind someone you'd be in a dust cloud. It also may draw somewhat cooler air by being up higher. Part of it probably is the "show truck" look too. As far as "wiggle wagons" go, that's a common term for doubles and triples I heard driving on the turnpike. These are not as big as they do in Australia though, as their "land train" or "road train" trucks commonly hook up more than three trailers in a row. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ianab

Quote from: Resonator on December 13, 2020, 03:29:09 PM
From what I've read, the higher air intakes are to avoid dust. Especially in places like Australia where they cross the scorching hot dry desert, and traveling behind someone you'd be in a dust cloud. It also may draw somewhat cooler air by being up higher. Part of it probably is the "show truck" look too. As far as "wiggle wagons" go, that's a common term for doubles and triples I heard driving on the turnpike. These are not as big as they do in Australia though, as their "land train" or "road train" trucks commonly hook up more than three trailers in a row. :o
This is video from a local truck driver. I see their black KWs on the road pretty often, although they are based a couple of hours South.
But it shows the gravel roads that they often have to operate over, and those ones are not particularly dusty.
must watch Kenworth T650 havin a bit of a run - YouTube
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moodnacreek

"I was toten my pack along the dusty Winnamucka road when along came a semi with a high and canvas covered load", I've been everywhere, Hank Snow, others. This song is not really ours. It was adapted from Australia . Good video.

Resonator

I looked up the lyrics for the Australian version:

"I've been to Tullamore, Seymour, Lismore, Mooloolaba
Nambour, Maroochydore, Kilmore, Murwillumbah,..."

WOWZERS! :o 
My hats off the guys that can sing that without messing up, I'd have trouble just reading it off a page!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sawguy21

:D Much of that video could have been done not far from here, the terrain and vegetation look so similar.

Ianab

Just another random truck clip, filmed about 40 mins South of home. So recognise a lot of the local trucks. Bonus wind turbine blade near the beginning.

Trucks South of Hawera New Zealand SHW 3 - YouTube
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

That was interesting. The truck and pup with the second steering axle seems to be a big thing there although I noticed one super B. The hippie camper on the red GM at the 7 minute mark was funky to say the least. :D I also noted a DELAVAL service truck, those guys really get around. They are well known here.

mike_belben

Quote from: barbender on December 12, 2020, 08:46:36 PM
Nice load. Do you know what the point of those snorkels is? It looks to me like the visibility would be horrible with those things in your field of view.
Im guessing just an aussie trucker style that carried over from days of old.  Originally for cabovers to get air over the roof (which wasnt necessary) or trucks fording in backcountry which i guess australian road trains did a lot of.  Drivers naturally cling to the old days.  Truckers were well paid heroes back then.

3000 chicken lights and massive CB antennas 45 degrees forward is americas lingering relic of good times gone by.  They do rx/tx great that way but if anyone at all is on the radio its just nothing but fighting and BS.  Not sittin in the rockin chair with your good buddy front door watchin out for county mounties and chicken house go arounds anymore.

Up north the radio is just dead and down south its just guys screaming at governed slow trucks with foreignors in the left lane plugging up the flow.  They never have CBs to hear it.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

@Skeans1  

@ thanksgiving i saw a legit west coast long logger headed SB on 81 up in north virginia.  Had a compensating pole trailer on his back.  Cant remember exactly but it was an old truck like a general or autocar, somethin like that.  Maybe for a county fair, id be surprised if it was being worked but maybe i guess.  Only one i ever saw in my life. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!