The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Timber Frame Cabin Build  (Read 15542 times)

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
Re: Timber Frame Cabin Build
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »
Finally making sawdust again!

The wood has started drying and checking, making slightly rounded reference faces. I planed these down slightly so my square could register without teetering. Next time, I will plane down the humps where the joints will be before doing the layout, that way my mortiser will be perpendicular to the face. I had to shim the mortiser because of the rounding caused by the checks. 

Does anyone have tips to deal with this rounding?

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2019, 07:13:03 AM »
... Hi Tim... nice work... hoping to see your work sometime in the near future. thumbs-up
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Thanks Vautour. I'm actually working out of my garage in Moncton. Let me know if you want to stop by some time, although I only have one post complete here so far. It would be probably more informative to see the different pieces once I get to them later this Spring/Summer. I plan to keep bringing a few timbers home to work on, that way I can put time on it during the week.

Here are some more progress pictures. I am trying to use my power tools to cut to the line and limit hand tools to cleanup and where necessary in order to speed things up.

Any tips on how to cut the wedged half-dovetail mortises in the post? What is taking me the longest is chiseling out the top and bottom slopes. Taking my time not to undercut them. There must be a faster way?

Made a router jig to cut the housing (inspiration from Nick Fouch):

First in-garage post complete!

Offline Dakota

• Swing'en in South Dakota
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
"Any tips on how to cut the wedged half-dovetail mortises in the post? What is taking me the longest is chiseling out the top and bottom slopes. Taking my time not to undercut them. There must be a faster way?"

I struggled with this on my frame.  I ended up using a chainsaw to carefully reach up in there to get some of the wood out.  Worked ok, but you have be so careful not to mess up your pocket!!  
Dave Rinker

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »
Dakota - I would be too nervous to take off too much with the chainsaw. I might see if I can use the chain mortiser at an angle to rough it out.

The post I am working on now has some gross grain to it (particularly on one face). It also has indications of ring shake on the top. Any opinions on the preferred layout orientation in this case (a vs b)? The drawings show the tie beam mortise locations and the arrows show the axis the tie beam would be in (looking at the top end). I am afraid of the roof thrust splitting the post where the grain runs out (see tie beam mortise location A). I think this run out might just be the sapwood, but not sure. On the top end, the heart is centered with the rings evenly spaced. On the bottom, the heart is slightly off center and the rings aremuch denser on one side than the other. I think that is what is causing the cross grain pattern. Is the ring shake more of a concern? Grain slope is about 1 in 8 max, but more typically around 1 in 12 around the tie beam mortise. This is a corner post, so technically it would have to sustain half the thrust than the center posts will have to. I also have a rafter tie above this bent. Will probably fasten it to the rafter mechanically to counter tension on peg.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
Looking at the pictures, where you show the housing cut for A, what is that streak running down and slightly to the left?  Is that punky wood (i.e. rotten)?  IMHO, the ring shake (is that a crack or did you just sharpie it to make it stand out?) you show would be a deal breaker for me - this might make a smaller post or maybe just firewood.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
The dark streaks are sapwood or reaction wood. It is sound, just darker. The shake line is something I drew in paint to show which ring plane. There is actually only a hairline crack about 3/4 inch long in the center of that drawn line, but when the wood dries maybe it will increase? I will probably need to get some spares at aome point but would like to use what I can if possible.

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
Update: I ended up using that last timber I wasn't sure about. Looks like the shake was minimal. I also took a drive out to a sawmill to get some extra 8x8s. These are spruce as they did not have pine. I will let these rest for a month or so before I use them for the remaining 3 posts.

I brought back the 8x10 plates home to start working on them. I am scarfing them together for total length of 20'. I have 3 white pine and 2 red pine (only need 4). The white pine are ok, but I'm not sure which to use for the red. One has many large-ish knots and the other one has one knot cluster and localized grain runount on the ends...I'll have to figure out which one to use. Can't keep getting spares :).

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
Hello again,

I've made decent progress since this summer. Will hopefully be posting some pictures soon :). Still have a handfull of timbers to cut but the timing is right to start framing the floor (2x material).

I had helical anchors (screw piles) installed about three weeks ago. My question is wether I need to use pressure treated for the floor (beams and joists w/ hangers) or can I stick with regular s-p-f?

The lowest point would be about 18" off the ground. I don't expect it to get wet with the siding coming down over the beams.

Any concerns with PT if I plan on drilling a well at some point?

Thanks!
Tim

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »
There is no prohibition on pt in the vicinity of a well that I've seen. You can look up the MSDS for the product you will be using and make that call for yourself. Read the label of what you will be using, there are several kinds of treated. I wouldn't build a spring box out of it but that isn't the same as a beam off the ground under a roof. If protected from wetting borate treatment would be fine.

An untreated joist needs to be at least a foot off the ground, a beam 18", otherwise it should be treated.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Thanks Don.

We started framing yesterday. Hope to have the floor done next weekend :).

Offline wbrent

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »
Greetings from another New Brunswicker. Im down here in Hampton. Just in the beginning stages of a smaller timber frame project - 12x16. Have almost all my timbers milled. White spruce cut off my own woodlot. Glad to see this post. You've answered a lot of questions I had in my mind. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do my mortices right now. Like you I only have a 1 1/2 " drill bit to start with. Glad to see you're using screw posts. I think I may do the same. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »
Hi Brent,

Sounds like a nice project. What are you building?

Here are some update pictures of this past summer's progress. Finished a few spruce posts, then pine top plates and tie beams. Had to use snap line rule for most since they and moving on me :)

Offline Nuts

• Farmer with a woodlot.
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2020, 09:44:51 PM »
It's been a great winter to keep working outside! Keep it up.
Aaron Lohr

Offline timberframe

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
Good to see an update!  Looking good.

B

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Progress on the floor:

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
 Hi Tim... glade to see you back at it... keep the pictures coming, got the popcorn ready popcorn_smiley
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:38 AM »
Haven't given many updates lately. We raised the walls last weekend and the roof should be ready in 6 weeks or so.

Overall things went well, even though some of the timbers sat for a good year and a half after the joinery was cut.

Offline sbishop

• Share Post
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2020, 07:41:08 PM »
awesome job so far, just catching up! I see you have lots a help..bonus!

forgot to mention my camp is located on the Bartibog river...family homestead...

Sbishop

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:14 PM »
Looks great, following along.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Post and Beam/ Timber frame Cabin Questions- New to timber framing

Started by TimberHawg1 on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 02:01:04 AM
by D L Bahler
xx
Timber Frame Cabin by Woodhenge

Started by Bibbyman on Timber Framing/Log construction

25 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 08:40:13 PM
by Bibbyman