iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Willow

Started by Busysawyer, August 16, 2018, 10:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Any of you guys ever play with any willow?  I know its soft and typically thought of as junk but I have a couple willows that were offered up for free, just have to cut and fetch them . These are big burly suckers and thought they would make interesting lumber. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

PAmizerman

Never messed with it but I think if you slabbed something like that and advertised them they would sell quickly.
The crazier the better. You'd be surprised what people will buy.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Busysawyer

Here's a screen shot of the other one. This one is only about a mile down the road and near a road on the edge of a field . Would be gravy to cut and grab this one.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

No_Dude

What you might be able to get away with, is cutting it, and stealing the real burly sections, and stabalizing them in epoxy resin, and sell them as knife/pistol grip blanks. Or I suppose maybe pens as well, but pens and turning are outside my wheel house.

Magicman

I have sawn many Mbf of Willow that was used as wall paneling.

But I have never seen nor sawn a "knotty" one.

Another Willow job.

To be used as wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

I thought willow was a white wood, like basswood. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Magicman

As you can see in my pictures the sapwood is white but the heartwood is more like Walnut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Not all willow is the same I have found. Some is soft and useless. Others are real good for furniture and such. Not sure what names they carry but I can tell a good one when I see it. Think it may be the laurel leaf willow that is good but not sure.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DPatton

I have only sawn a few big willow logs mostly turning them into 4"x4"s and other utility lumber to use under my air drying stacks. It is a soft wood that mills easily, although I'm not sure how well it behaves while drying. Please post some photos of it if you decide to mill them.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!