iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

So I think what your saying is 'some folks have trouble admitting they made a mistake.' did I get that right? For a southerner y'all sure tawk too pretty sometimes. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

OG:
Saw your mistakes in half and call them batens, or saw them in thirds or fourths and call them tomato stakes.
On to the next chance to make another ^+%#!*.
Have a great day.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

I guess my dumb thing actually happened about 11 days ago.  We got home from vacation yesterday and this morning I needed the keys to our extra car to take my son to soccer practice.  They were not hanging where they should.  My first thought was that I might have left them in the car 11 days ago when I was getting the camper ready to go for vacation.  Sure enough, there they were sitting on the seat of the car.  Luckily we live way back in the woods and nobody comes back here unless they were invited.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

And so often we have the garage door remote in the car, making it easy for someone to enter by just using the remote. Too easy for those who want to do bad things.
Glad you didn't have a problem. Living back off a main road has advantages, but also if someone wants to load up without being seen, such "off the road" isn't so good. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

All true.  At least my garage is detached and they couldn't get in the house.  The bad thing is that my shop is attached to the garage and there is probably $50,000 of tools in there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

Okay, my turn. Sunday, I took the boat out to go fishing with the wife. I had finished mounting my downrigger and wanted to try it out. We get to the lake, launch the boat and away we go. Once out there, I get my rod ready and then turn to setup the downrigger......At this point I realize my cannonball is sitting on the floor of my shop at home. So no blood or broken parts but some cursing at myself. After that we had a good time just taking a cruise around the lake, which we hadn't been on before, stopping to see if there were fish around for next time. Yes the downrigger was necessary because when it comes to fishing I'm a bit of a snob, I only fish for trout or walleye and the trout in this lake were holding between 80-120 feet.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Maine Miller

I hope you are not finding many Walleyes in the Bangor area.....

stanmillnc

Ran my pintle hitch through the wood chipper the other day - I'll never forget that sound. Forgot that I had stored the hitch in the intake chute before I ran a branch through. Totally destroyed the knives, the hitch and beat up the drum pretty bad. An expensive and stupid mistake!

r>

Andries

Yup, that's an instant reminder of not remembering to not forgetting about. . 
Hope the drum\bearings are repairable.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Hilltop366

While you fixing it install a storage mount or box for the hitch.....one would hate to see an encore.

sawguy21

Nah, he will only do that once.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Stan, sorry that happened to you. Glad no body got  hurt . Those blades are toast. The pintle might make a good door stop or maybe you could give it to K-guy as a spare weight for his down rigger? ;D :D

Sorry, too soon?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

K-Guy

Thanks OG

To quote Maude " God will get you for that!" smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

That had to be Togue at that depth K-Guy no? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

Well that certainly rivals anything I have done...recently.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

K-Guy

Quote from: Southside on August 17, 2022, 12:38:40 AMThat had to be Togue at that depth K-Guy no? 

Salmon or Cusk (freshwater cod) are possibilities also. I was at Schoodic Lake.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Nebraska

So I have this particular affliction.  I really like trees... they grow, I like them,  then I enjoy cutting them apart in various ways using different machines.   I did some thinking about how this started..... I remember watching my dad running his Delta radial arm saw for a few projects when I was little, also his blue cased Homelite saw. The radial arm saw is sitting in my basement waiting for its shop to be built.  Dad's old firewood saw was my first chainsaw. I did 4-H woodworking in jr high, (had to be 12 before you could because of sharp things and power tools).
So I could go on about the progression of this affliction, but it seems that incrementally it morphs into bigger more complex forms.  All of these have pitfals  and new hazards one encounters.  This is an example..

In July I bought  Alan Gage's B 16 timberking,
it's a step up from the Ez Boardwalk Jr.
The hydraulics are nice and some things take some getting used to.  The stops are separate from the log  clamp. It's driven hydraulically on an acme rod and the clamping height is manually adjusted.  It doesn't move up and down with the stops like an Ez Boardwalk.  So far I've sawn  a short whack ERC logs  with it and am just getting used to it..  

So last night being really  careful to keep the stops adjusted sighting down the carriage.  I forgot to check the  clamp.  I was clear on the last  cut on a cant I was turning into 2 x 4  lumber. So merrily I sawed away. I heard the magic whining whirring of metal on metal. So the automatic swearing kicked in and I instinctively I jerked back on the hydraulic level controlling the drive.  Of course when you do that in a cut  you hear the loud sproink/ pop/ clatter noises that occur when you  knock a band off of the wheels.  The reason being is on an old Timbeking  b-16/20 the carriage return speed is full blast.  So last night I made a minor mark on the
clamp wrecked a blade and blew 15 minutes wiggling, fishing, and replacing the wrecked blade out of the cut.  The only  part that bothers me is I was the first person to do that on this mill. Alan somehow manged to not scratch  it once before I got it.... He told me, I looked.  ::)

Crossroads

I have to say, that actually pretty impressive how much damage was done to the hitch! Sorry for the expensive oops, glad nobody was injured. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Okay, my turn in the barrel (Again).

I have an order for 1100 square feet of 2/4 X 8" white pine so today after I got my brand new, totally foamed ($285 worth front tire back on I went up in my Norway Spruce patch to cut a big (24" on the stump) pine. I notched it where I wanted it to go then plunge cut nearly through and soundly pinched my Stihl 441 saw with a good 20" of the 24" bar in the wood. No way to wedge it free so I put a cable and snatch block on and pulled with my JD 750 but could not get it free so I took the saw off and left the bar in the stump. Looking up it was obvious I had badly misread the lean. I got my wife's little Stihl EZ start 180 with a 16" bar and started feathering a cut on the back side. After a couple of inches I heard a popping and the tree fell exactly where I had wanted. If that cable to the snatch block had been 3' longer or the tree had been 3' shorter, it never would have reached that light on the back of the tractor. ::)

Then to make matters worse I decided it was not a white pine but a big spruce. smiley_huh smiley_headscratch smiley_furious .Fortunately during clean up I found some other spruce tips it had taken down and found it was a white pine. smiley_sweat_drop smiley_clapping
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

SMH, Howard, Howard, Howard. ;D

Resonator

Oh, we all have our days. ::)

Went to check the front axle oil in my Kubota tractor. Figured I could just loosen the lower plug and not the top fill cap bolt to see if any dripped out. Didn't drip, instead it spit out under pressure. :o
Ever smelled old gear lube? Kind of stays with you when you gets it on you. :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crusarius

that means the seals are good :)

WV Sawmiller

And I don't know what SMH stands for? (I'm not real sure I want to know but...)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Could it mean you should wear an orange triangle?🔺
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!