The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: MacBook  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: MacBook
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »
This is just an update on the MacBook.  I have been using it for 4 months and everything that I said in Reply #32 above still applies.  Without question I absolutely love this thing. 

Yes, I am handling pictures differently now but even that is much faster and more convenient.  "Pages" and "Numbers" are serving me very well as my word processor and spreadsheets.  A bit differently but overall the same.

No, I am not suggesting that everyone nor anyone dash out and buy a Mac but for me, switching was a good decision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »
 smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Very glad to hear that MM.  Macs rule.  They just work, and work fast.  

Don't forget about Macs being much more virus proof than PC's.  My Mother just got mega hacked on her not too old Windows PC.  The thieves blew right through Windows Defender, dropped all her firewalls, stole some bank stuff, personal identity, and then proceeded to use that information to attack every single bank account she has.  Police reports were filed, banks accounts were changed, this was a total mess, taking weeks to clean up.

We locked things down, I got the PC back to clean it up, and after just a few hours of working with it, I was reminded how cumbersome it was.  It was like going back to a vehicle without power steering and power brakes.  

Anyway, we talked her into getting a new MacBook Pro, which wasn't hard when she realized that our whole family with quite a large diversity of occupations including dentists, engineers, business managers, nurses, etc had switched to Macs years ago.  The first few days were not easy for her getting up on the learning curve, but as she said, it was more learning how to skip steps than relearning new ones.  She said instead of doing A, B, C, D, E, F, and D like she did with a PC, instead, with a Mac she started at A, skipped all the steps in between and and went directly to step D.

She likes the Mac so much, she switched to an iPhone, and loves that, also, because the Apple interfaces are so similar.  She is 81 yers old.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  So dont burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »
Glad you're having great luck on your Mac. smiley_thumbsup

But, I re-iterate as I said before, I have no issues with Toshiba laptops. They work and do what I need to do. :) Now rebranded as Dynabook, I will certainly buy one without hesitation when the time comes.  Had the current one 8 years now without fail. ;)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
I am chasing one gremlin that may or may not be me.  Occasionally while typing a reply my text jumps to random places within the previously typed text.  I am not convinced that the trackpad is causing it because I have disabled the "touch" option and have to actually "click" the touchpad to move the curser.  I am also careful to not touch the trackpad while typing. 

Maybe someone has an answer for me?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2021, 11:30:18 PM »
If it were me, Id get a mouse and stop using the trackpad.  Trackpads are problematic for me. The problem is likely from inadvertent finger or hand contact with the trackpad.  Just a guess coupled with my personal trackpad difficulties. It would at least be helpful to try a mouse while youre trying to figure it out. Bluetooth probably the best mouse option. 
HM126

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 10:14:31 PM »
This has been an ongoing problem that is annoying at times (Reply #43 above) when my cursor jumps to somewhere other than where I am typing.  While doing some searching tonight I found an APP called "False Tap Stop" that may prevent this jumping.  $2.99 which would be a small price to to pay if it works.  Anyway, I downloaded the APP and so far while typing this, nothing bad has happened and the cursor has stayed where it belongs and has not jumped to somewhere else on the screen.  OK, I'm being long winded and trying to create a long post like some of our members, but I normally do not have that much to say.  Heck, I have already typed more than I know.

I don't know where/when/how the $2.99 gets paid.  Maybe it will be added to my iPhone account like when I buy an App for it, but how does it know?  The iPhone APPS are certainly different from this MacBook APPS.   I pay a phone bill but I don't have a MacBook bill.  ???

Yup, I could just delete and abandon this reply, but someone else might be experiencing this same problem and this could help them.  I'll see how it goes and come back here and post the results; either good or bad.

I typed all of the above which set a record typing text without a hiccup, sooo maybe.  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2022, 05:48:40 AM »
That's usually a problem on any laptop with a touch pad, if you hit the pad with a thumb or something the cursor moves to the pointer. Isn't there a touchpad on/off toggle key to silence the touch pad when typing? The pad sometimes has a LED come on when silenced.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2022, 07:18:53 AM »
My situation is that I have "Tap" disabled on the Trackpad.  I have always used Click instead of Tap.  Apparently at times the Trackpad sees a random touch as a tap and sends the cursor to some odd place and if you are not watching the screen, your text is inserted at that random odd place.  This would not only happen when typing replies here and other forums, but when typing in the word processor.

Maybe I finally Googled the correct question and was sent to "IFIXIT" where many users were complaining and looking for the answer to:  Cursor jumping randomly when typing.  Yup that is exactly what was happening with me and after reading several pages of responses, I downloaded the APP "False Tap Stop" which hopefully will correct my situation.

I typed the above without any issue.   :)

I am back to the drawing board because the APP disappeared....I think.  :-X

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
I am back to the drawing board because I was typing a reply, just random stuff, typing this to create a long reply and it jumped again.  Thankfully I deleted the reply before I accidentally hit the post button.  Heck it has jumped twice imes three t four times while typing this.  The previous is what is happening.  

I have discovered a new word; mishit.  I was typing about making a mistake and hitting the wrong key and had to Google to see if it was a correct word.  It's all in the pronunciation:   mĭs-hĭt′   I actually think that what it looks like is more correct about how I feel.

Anyway, "False Tap Stop" didn't fix anything or either I have not correctly applied it.  I did restart and even did a hard shutdown/reboot

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2022, 10:25:49 AM »
That is weird, you'd think they'd have that behaviour solved with $$billions of dollars behind their name. On my laptop, I'd have to tap it twice in rapid succession to move the cursor, once for the click bar.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
Lynn hope you get your problem solved
Started in the 80s with a cpm machine and no knowledge of how to run the darned thing and it drove me crazy.
Got along for a while then upgraded to an msdos for a few years.
Heard good things about apple so bought an apple IMAC g5 machine. nothing but trouble right out of the box.
Keyboard went within the first month and a tech was sent and replaced it, next the main board went and I had to make an appointment with a so called mac genius to get it looked at.
Took a few weeks to get this taken care of.
after about 3 years of some other minor issues. the hard drive crashed and I lost EVERYTHING. apple store couldnt retrieve any of it.
My final move with this machine was like the old cartoon hit any key with a guy wielding a sledge hammer.
I literally smashed the thing which was very satisfying.
I know lots of folks have good luck with apple stuff, but this experience was similar to my Ford experience in the early to mid 90s with an explorer and a f100
all pcs here now, and android phone, but wife is an iphone user.
Im still somewhat of a Luddite with electronic stuff
end of rant.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
One of the misconceptions about virus software is that one solution works. Sometimes two or three don't work.  There are viruses, trojans, sniffers, root kits and other stuff.  I have a whole gamut of software that I have collected that looks for different things.  Most are free in basic form.  I have at least four different programs watching at all times.  Malwarebytes is good base to start with.  

A key component of any security software is one that examines all the browser files for issues.  My PC scans a lot.  I back up a lot.

As for Apple/Mac.  Great products but I detest the proprietary lock down of the devices and the incredibly high prices. A thousand bucks for a phone?  SMH.

The app disappeared?  Maybe you should have paid for it! :D

If you can, disable the trackpad or simply remove the software driver for it.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
This is not a virus situation.

The app didn't disappear, it was just lost, well from me anyway but I found it.  I did get an invoice for the $2.99 today so I entered a sorta complaint so I can be refunded if the issue is not corrected.  I don't mind 'playing the game'.  I'll get Apple's technical support involved.

Why on earth would I even consider removing/disabling the trackpad ??  :o

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:24 AM »
You can change the trackpad's sensitivity under Apple preferences. I've never had a problem like that on any of the 5 Macbooks I've had and I'm a terrible, clumsy typer. I've also never had to change the trackpad sesitivity....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2022, 07:26:50 AM »
I have the sensitivity set to max.  Actually touch is disabled and I have to click which is also set to max.  Apple has issued a case number and given me some steps to take.  I'll mess with it this afternoon.

This is more of a nuisance than anything because I do much more reading than I do typing.  I first mentioned it a year ago and the sky hasn't fallen yet.  The reason for this latest interest is that I was curious and did a search to see if others were experiencing the same issue. 

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2022, 10:44:28 AM »
No issues here with a 10 year old MacBook using touch.

I did have to change the battery recently, it still worked fine but had swelled up a bit and caused the click not to work well.(the battery is under the pad)

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2022, 11:02:10 AM »
My thumbs apparently have a magnetic halo around them as anytime they get near a trackpad something happens.  So I went with a USB mouse and disabled the trackpad.  Its better to have no movements messing things up than dealing with the inconvenience of a mouse.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2022, 11:41:27 AM »
I hated laptops with that cursor button in the middle of the keyboard. You was always flicking a key. :D I'm on laptop, and have been for over 20 years. I like a mouse a lot better than the pad. I never move the laptop from the desk unless the power is out. I take it to another room that uses generator power, and still use the mouse on a small table. ;D

Trust me, sometimes I am doing some fine detailed mouse dragging that would be a complete mess up using a pad. It's fine for point and click, but when you have to draw/trace with it like a pencil, forget it. :D A stylus is probably better again, but I haven't a touch screen or pad for that, and doing fine.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
I have no idea what fixed what but it appears to be fixed because I have not had an instance of the cursor jumping in about a week.  Actually I am sorta hesitant to make a declaration. 

I did download an App called False Tap Stop, even though I do not have Tap enabled.  I made a complaint to Apple about the situation and also to the App editor.  The MacBook did an update and restarted several times during the update.  Of course I have deleted my History and Cache. 

Before now, I would have had to chase the cursor more than once while typing a reply this long, so maybe.....

Offline JJ

• Gotta figure this out
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2022, 10:58:34 PM »
Many laptops now have touch screens, I have to remind my wife who likes to point at things on my screen.  Points can be clicks, even without fully contacting. 

JJ

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter