iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

I have liability insurance for my milling business but do not have a specific policy for my truck. I will be talking with my agent in the next few weeks as my insurance has to be renewed this month and I will discuss that with her. 

I have more concerns about whether the dealer would honor my lifetime warranty on my truck than anything else. I've done battle with them a couple times already but so far they have agreed.

I had a couple of magnetic signs but I kept losing them. I got vinyl signs from a local dealer and they have paid for themselves many times over.

Thanks,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

yes @Bindian and a woodstove, a fridge, and a head.   :D :D :D :christmas:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on December 15, 2021, 04:57:28 PM
@olcowhand    ......   Proud to know you can call you a friend, and that is why I made the comment I did.  
Are you saying @olcowhand thinks a lot of himself?   ;D

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 16, 2021, 07:36:31 AM
Brandi,

I have liability insurance for my milling business but do not have a specific policy for my truck. I will be talking with my agent in the next few weeks as my insurance has to be renewed this month and I will discuss that with her.

I have more concerns about whether the dealer would honor my lifetime warranty on my truck than anything else. I've done battle with them a couple times already but so far they have agreed.

I had a couple of magnetic signs but I kept losing them. I got vinyl signs from a local dealer and they have paid for themselves many times over.

Thanks,
Howard,
       How much is your liability insurance and who is it with, if I may inquire?  I don't have liability insurance, just the mill is insured.
      I really would like a removable sign.  When I get logs with the farm tagged gooseneck, I don't want any law enforcement pulling me over thinking I am a commercial vehicle.  I have a commercial license, but don't wanna be caught in any gray area.
I got pulled over when bringing home free roller tables my local welding shop discarded.  As the DPS officer walked up to my right window after noticing my farm tags........he asked if the load was my property.  I said yes and he said have a nice day.  So pulling my trailer with a sign on the door is a no go for me.  But without the trailer, I would put the sign back on, as it is adding the trailer that qualifies as a commercial rig.
Merry Christmas hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on December 16, 2021, 08:04:16 AM
yes @Bindian and a woodstove, a fridge, and a head.   :D :D :D :christmas:
A head!  What did you do Doc, bring some work home with you? :D :D :D
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Yep, I was correct.  Just got an email from my insurance agent.  This is what he said................
 A sign automatically makes it a comml vehicle. 

Merry Christmas hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

My liability insurance is changing because the company said they will no longer work through a broker in WV so my agent is looking and as of today she should be getting quotes (The current policy expires 15 January). I have one million per individual and 2 million per accident as I recall. I'll discuss the issue with her. I would never saw off site without liability insurance and in some cases it is required. I've done demos/workshops at school and for USDA and local forestry department and figure it is a must for such as them.

EDIT: BTW - Brandi I am the opposite with liability insurance for injuries or damage to others but no inland marine policy for the mill. It would hurt but I could absorb the loss or damage to the mill but not a huge medical claim. I checked on inland marine policies of my equipment but felt the prices were excessive for the coverage they offered but I felt the liability was reasonable (About $650/yr as I remember for it.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

I went over this morning to pick up the mill and tally the lumber as it was after dark when we finished last night. I see I had 8.2 engine hours on the mill so it was steady sawing. We had sawed a little over 1878 bf of WO & RO. When I stopped and opened the gate another truck came in behind me. Turns out it was another guy who was buying some of the WO for his fence business. He was coming back for his 2nd load. I had corresponded with him earlier and linked the two up and the customer did not know what he wanted to do with the WO so he already had an order for a good bit of it which helped off-set his cost a good but. The boards are still scattered in the pictures because he and his son were stacking it when I pulled up. 

I brought the mill home and did the 1100 hour service on it. I need to work on the drive side roller guide as the bolt/shaft seems to be loose and I have replacement parts on hand.
Howard Green

TimW

More 1x12s for B&B siding.  

Got up to 80 stacked this evening.  First time the last board off the cant and edgings equaled exactly my target total.  I am usually over.  Rain tomorrow and working in the barn/shop.  Sunday my friend will be back and we will be churning out 1x3 battens and girts.

Thursday, while stacking boards cut from the cant, I came across what looked like 22 bullets.  8 of them lined up in about 12 inches straight in two boards.  Before putting that log on the mill, I scanned it with the metal detector while on the ground.  I found two 6 inches long nails.  The heads were visible and the crow removed them.  Usually I gotta cut strips with my smaller chainsaw.  Then I chisel or hammer the rows of wood out to get to the nail.

But these pieces of metal were deep.  The metal detector didn't pick them up.  But the blade didn't seem to be fazed when cutting through them or any change in sound.  I pulled the blade and didn't see any missing flat points.   I tried the metal detector on them while stacked and the detector sounded off for metal.

What was it? ???  Very soft steel? ??? ???  I mean it cut like lead. ??? ??? ???
hugs,  Brandi

richhiway

The weather here i upstate NY has been unseasonably warm. Hit 60 the other day. So I have been milling most afternoons. I am working on cutting all the logs laying around to make room for logging this winter.Cutting mostly lumber for the new planer shed but this ugly old pine made some pretty bench slabs. You never know what you might find in a log.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

My brother in law does revolution reenactment. He needed a wide piece of hardwood to build a surveyors plane table. There was a big ugly, short Cherry butt log laying in the to big for firewood pile. I drug it out and trimmed it up. It had splits in it so I wasn't to hopeful. Ended up with some really nice wide boards for his project. You never know!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on December 18, 2021, 02:33:27 AMWhat was it? ??? Very soft steel? ??? ??? I mean it cut like lead. ??? ???

Yes Brandi, I regularly saw through bullets and even jacketed bullets seldom affect a blade.  I always point them out to the customer and leave them for character.   I have had customers to build tables with book matched bullets.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I felled a giant today.  This tree was about 4' tall and is our Charlie Brown Christmas tree, complete with one ornament at the top and a few lights.  This is so much easier than getting out the big tree from the basement and we have lots of little loblolly in the field crowding each other.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2021, 08:53:42 AM
Quote from: Bindian on December 18, 2021, 02:33:27 AMWhat was it? ??? Very soft steel? ??? ??? I mean it cut like lead. ??? ???

Yes Brandi, I regularly saw through bullets and even jacketed bullets seldom affect a blade.  I always point them out to the customer and leave them for character.   I have had customers to build tables with book matched bullets.
Understand Lynn.  But these pieces of metal set off my wand metal detector.
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

Bullets/lead will set off my wand detectors too.

My Garrett Ace has a discriminator which will differentiate between different metals.  My wands do not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Looks like that Loblolly was leaning pretty hard to one side. Did you bore cut it or use a Humboldt?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2021, 08:53:42 AM

I have sawn through a bullet before.  But these pieces of metal set off  my wand metal detector.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 18, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
I felled a giant today.  This tree was about 4' tall and is our Charlie Brown Christmas tree, complete with one ornament at the top and a few lights.  This is so much easier than getting out the big tree from the basement and we have lots of little loblolly in the field crowding each other.

Back in 1969, my Grandpa beat that record.  We were going to spend Christmas with him on the farm.  Mom told him the kids needed a Christmas tree.  Grandpa went out into the yard and cut a limb off the cedar tree.  I gotta look & find that photo.  Your tree has twice as many ornaments that Grandpa's tree.  Yaa..........good times.
Merry Christmas hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

my barber Frank has a Charles Brown tree in his shop.  he is 82 with a white beard, bald head.  I have to find him a sweater with a zig zag stripe to wear.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Back when I hauled fresh cut Christmas trees the boss would always throw on the load a few of the "Charlie Brown" sized ones, they would always sell. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Bookmatched bullet holes in SYP.

The blade was traveling from the right and I hit a nail in the top right corner before I got to the bullet holes.

Bookmatched bullet holes in Pecan.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on December 19, 2021, 08:48:41 AM
Looks like that Loblolly was leaning pretty hard to one side. Did you bore cut it or use a Humboldt?  :D
While I'm a big fan of the bore cut, my micro chainsaw was in the shop.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Looks like that poor SYP died of lead poisoning.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

was cutting some paneling for my buddy Dallas out of cottonwood.  he added a shed room for his camper and the last 12 feet would not be needed so it will become a climate-controlled room for his deer mounts ect.  

had squealing from the belt due to cold fluid and needing to tension the belt.

after it was really spitting out the sawdust, and no more squeal.

Thank You Sponsors!