iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Suppose to get rain here, but got some warming to do. I do notice the windmills pointing SW, so a warm front is definitely coming in. But 12F to 32F is a ways to crawl. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We got about 2 inches of snow and raining now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We never got the rain, but we got 2" of wet snow. I just shoved that off, suppose to be more tonight. ::) Every day, they change the forecast up here. It's 30F right now. I don't know where this 40F fits in, I guess they can scratch that off their wild guesses for this week. They said it's going to storm for 3 days, off/on...maybe/maybe not. Reminds me of a 'cold reading' at a psychic show, 30 guesses and maybe get 2 right, which we already knew the answer to, we looked outside. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I have 32° on this last day of Feb. I can still hear my Father say, Feb is a short month.   ;D
I know what you mean about 40°. But I have seen it around 26° and through the night it went up to almost 40. But that was back in Dec when it should of been in the single numbers too.  :o That was a odd month for temps. Than we get the cold temps in Feb.
And yes on more snow and rain. A few inches again.
Some people around here listen to the Portland weather.  ::)  That is about 1½ hours from me. Have not been there this winter. They are most times about 10° warmer than me. They get a lot of rain, I get snow. Them city people come to Sugarloaf to ski and spend money.  ;D Might only have a few inches of snow on the ground in Portland too.
Now that it's almost March everyone will think winter is over. ::) Yes, the cold steady temps might be gone, but that snow may not melt. Yes, some years it melts, but I am not betting on it.
I can go an hour North or an hour South and notice a big difference in the snow amount. Even a little more than a ½ hour makes a difference too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

We went to the the GD home she bought, well they bought, a very nice home, lots of big wood beams in it.  ;D
I saw some 42° temps, most times 40. Not much melting at my place, but the snow we just had is quiet to walk on. You Northern guys know what I mean.  ;)
On my way to cut some firewood.
Got to take the tractor down to the mailbox and see if I can dig out some packed down snow by it.

SwampDonkey

It is at 40F here this afternoon. The main road was half @$$ plowed and water everywhere. You'd never be able to go 50 mph and keep'r on the road. :D

thecfarm

SwampDonkey

30F here, waiting for some snow. Hard SE wind a blowing. ;D

Cleaned the flu this morning, not even any soot from the brushing. Usually less than a cup full in 40 feet of flu.  :)

SwampDonkey

We are getting @thecfarm 's rain on top of the 2" of snow he got yesterday. :D

34F here now.

SwampDonkey

Suppose to get an arctic blast tonight.

That heavy wet snow will give you a work out. I got nowhere to shove it, so I have to make snow ramps. :D

thecfarm

On yea, that blast is on it's way. Single numbers and wind. Wind is here now.

SwampDonkey

2F this morning, coldest day for us. And the wind is just a whipping out there. Snow up in the air 200 feet or more like the dust bowl. Fire is on. Ain't leaving the house. ;D

Chuck White

2° here this morning too, SD!

We got slammed with 8 inches of snow yesterday afternoon and evening!

Got most of it cleaned up last night, a little more to do when it warms up later on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

WOOOOOWEEEEE! that was quite a ride last night! We went from 40° yesterday afternoon high down to 14 this morning before dawn and everything that was barely thawed came back up rock solid pretty quick. I had a 3 gallon bucket catching snowmelt off the roof yesterday to heat and use for cleaning in the shop and it froze solid through. That's my sawdust bucket off the mill. I hope it didn't split.
 But the big story was the WIND, it blew all night. We lost power a coupe of times and the internet stayed dead for most of the night. Pretty much sustained at 15-20 MPH, but regular gusts over 30, really regular gusts, all night long until just after dawn. Now the average is around 15 MPH and the temp is only 15°, my old wind chill chart shows that at 11 below, but I know they have changed the math on that with inflation or something.
 50° in the shop this morning. I should have locked the bay doors because heavy winds rattle and creep the doors up just a bit. Wind was out of the WNW and the doors face east, so it's like a suction thing and the smaller/lighter door had crept up about 1/2", enough to exchange some of my precious heat.
 The prediction for today is a high of 28, mostly sunny and wind speeds of 14mph with more gusti8ng around mid-day. Stays that way overnight and then a warming trend begin tomorrow morning with dry and somewhat warmer temps for about a week.
 The wind woke me up 3 times through the night, the cat was so spooked I have no idea where she spent the night and she NEVER does that, always sleeps with, or on me. The other cat seemed nonplussed but a tad jumpy. Nights like that I think back on some backpacking trips camped out for the night along the Devil's Path which follows many of the high peak ridges in the Catskills here (kind of like Barge's country and he is not far NW of there maybe 10 miles). Some of those nights the wind would howl and have you wondering if you would wake up with a tree branch sticking in your chest. Hard to sleep through that and many nights I didn't. ;D I have been in parts of the country where winds like that are normal and routine, like Michigan and Colorado or Kansas, but around here it is not common and make the woods a frightening and dangerous place to be when they hit.
 A well, today is another day, lets have at it, right?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Power was out for a couple hours this morning. Fired up the generator. All is well now. ;D :)

SwampDonkey

Ok, you can turn the frick'n fan off. That is enough wind for a few weeks. It's even windier than it was this morning. ;D

thecfarm

Cold here and I do mean cold. 4° and the wind is blowing.

Chuck White

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 02, 2021, 02:50:19 PM
Ok, you can turn the frick'n fan off. That is enough wind for a few weeks. It's even windier than it was this morning. ;D
Old joke here:
An old farmer swore it was so windy, he saw a hen lay the same egg three times!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I heard the guy on the radio say, whatever is water now will be ice in the morning. And it was!!! Wind had died down a lot and I mean a lot!!!
Might get above freezing tomorrow.
The old guys would say, In like a lion, out like a lamb.

thecfarm

I have 14°'
Last year on this day it was 61°.  ;D  But that could of been only one day too. And the high is also about 1½ hours from me, so take off about 10°. But 50 is a good temp to enjoy.  ;D

SwampDonkey

It was windy here all night until about 4:00 am, rock a bye baby in the tree tops........By daylight it was dead calm out, and a light breeze picked up around 10:00 am again. Sunny out, and it is strange how that came about. It was wind, squalls and clouds yesterday until about 5:30. The skies cleared,  then it was all stars. It was 8F here this morning. I think we are over the cold for awhile, going into the teens and twenties. I don't think any 30's here for awhile.

61?? I never saw that until May last year. :D :D I do remember a 48F in Feb last year, took this video. Never seen it that warm this winter, barely a 40F. According to the record. ;D You said ...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=108943.msg1715562#msg1715562

@thecfarm on Tue Mar 03 2020
Heat wave out there,30°. Maybe 50°. I might not see it here up here in the woods, but at work with all the pavement I might.

And it was 34 here on this day last year. The forum is a good keeper of records. You said 36F on the 4th and Portland was 61. ;)

Feb 23, 2020 melt down. - YouTube

woodroe

Another big blow has passed.
Probably hit 50mph + at times here.
West of here in Bethel reported 70mph.
Top of Mt Washington 130mph.
No new blow downs, no weak and vulnerable trees left from multiple previous big blows.
Plus the frozen ground helps keep a lot of em standing.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

chevytaHOE5674

Temps have been warmer but nights still around zero most nights. Been real windy here as well (but near the lake its almost always windy). Had about 8" of snow over the weekend.

SwampDonkey

Hard to believe, but it got to 32F here and melting around the yard where the gravel is exposed. Had windows open and curtain closed on that big window. ;D

SwampDonkey

22F here for a high I think, snow squalls and wind. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!