The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Making it through another year '21-'22  (Read 15511 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Making it through another year '21-'22
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »
Danny,

Those crotch wood legs look real sharp. Very well done!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2021, 08:31:03 AM »
Yeah Danny, those crotches caught my eye. Nice application and execution. I am hoping to get back on some benches this fall/winter if the milling and mushroom logs ever dies off. All these ideas are dancing in my head that I want to try.
------------------
 Yesterday was 'back to work day' after the weekend of leisure. I guess I need some re-retraining after 3 whole days off. I forgot my belt knife and my smaller tape measure, both of which I depend on for daily work. I got to the mill and was cutting on the first log by 10am after filling, fueling and a little arranging. Just starting the second log and saw that the top of the band was holding sap and sawdust even after I turned the flow way up. This has been getting more and more annoying in recent weeks. I just can't seem to keep that blade clean, top and bottom. I decided it was time to figure it out or go no further. SO I cleaned the head unit and tested it and found nothing coming out of the top nozzle. Well, that would do it. SO I removed it and fond that besides being plugged, it has taken a good hit from a band break oe something and the hole was closed off with mushed up brass. Of course I didn't have any small drills or a needle file set at the mill and no knife to work with. SO I drove up to the shop and with nobody around searched for needle files. No joy, but I found a hacksaw and could use that to open the hole a little and I found a tiny drill to ream it a bit by hand. It was passing air, so I drove back down an put it in and it worked better, but not perfect. It got me through the remainder of those 10'+ logs. Just as I finished up, Bill showed up between truck routes and showed me he had a brand new spare wire tied to the machine, so we swapped it out and I took the bad one back to my shop and fixed it last night. I still have one 12' log to do today, but the 2x12's I did yesterday were scooped up before I left and brought up to the shop for rafters. The guys were notching them when I left. Seems like I can't stay very far ahead of the build requirements and whne I do get ahead, we stick a customer order in and I am behind again. We got another small order over the weekend. Anyway, I finished up there and did a quick minimal cleanup, then headed across the road into the woods and took a couple more mushroom trees, bucked and stacked for pickup on Thursday's delivery. I only need 20 more for what I think is (the third version of) the end of the season. It may rain this weekend, and if it is enough to prevent roof work, Bill and I will walk and mark trees for winter cutting on a different part of his property he is exploring and I have not yet looked at.
 WHen I finish this I am back to the mill to get that 12 footer done then back home by mid-day for a shower, lunch, and clean clothes. I have to head out to Roxbury for that radio show at 5. If any of y'all have a  boring life like me and you want to waste an hour, you can listen live on WIOX HERE, just click on the "Click Here to Listen" button. The show runs from 6-7PM eastern time. It should be available for replay in a week or so on the Catskill Forest Assoc. web page. Let's hope I don't make a fool of myself, I think it should go fine though. Tomorrow I have logs to load and deliver.
 Time to get on it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2021, 08:47:40 AM »
They are actually WDH-made crotches.  Imagine a live edge piece about 22 to 24 long and 14 to 16 wide.  A rectangular piece.   This will become the crotch leg.  Split the piece into two equal pieces.  Cut angles on each half so that when the angles are put together, the two pieces create a flare with a point on one end and a large splay on the other end. Trim to shape the crotch leg.  Take a jigsaw and match the angle of the natural live edge with the blade then sculpt the insides of the crotch leg with the jigsaw to match.   

I take a piece of cardboard the exact same size as the original live edge piece and fool around with the angles to find the right one to give the bottom of the splayed leg that sits on the floor the same width as the width of the bench top to make a super-stable bench.   

A picture is worth a thousand words.  With this technique, the WDH Crotch Leg Technique (WCLT), you can make beautiful crotch leg benches from any slab.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
  "Those crotch wood legs look real sharp"

oh good @WDH I thought this was a prosthetic for a pirate who lost his leg very very high up... :D :D :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2021, 12:13:00 PM »

oh good @WDH I thought this was a prosthetic for a pirate who lost his leg very very high up... :D :D :D
The heck is all this crotch talk and drawings of pants? lol 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #345 on: October 13, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
Now I am really glad I edited my first response which went something like "Danny I really like how your crotches look on that bench".
 So now we need to know the rest. How do you join the crotch pieces together and do I see 4 screws going through the seat into the ends of your crotches?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #346 on: October 13, 2021, 03:42:06 PM »
Clamping is a little tricky but I glued them.  It is mostly long grain so the glue joint on the crotch leg is strong.  As to the attachment to the top, on the bench pictured, I simply used long 1/4 lag bolts to bolt the top to the legs and plugged the holes with walnut plugs.  Did not try to hide it, instead, I wanted to make the walnut plugs a visual feature.  

On another one, I cut a blind mortise into the bottom of the bench top and made a tenon on top of the crotch leg and glued the leg to the top.  However, that is a time consuming procedure and I decided that the time cost/value relationship was negative in that I could not recover that effort/cost easily in the selling price for a rustic bench.  The lag screw approach is not fine wood working or all that fancy but it is relatively fast and used with glue, it is strong.  

A better way might be to use dowels as floating tenons instead of metal lag bolts.  I think that I will do it that way next time.  I dont make these for charity so if I cannot make some money doing it I may as well do something else that does return value. One good thing is that every bench that I have made, and most of them used the Rite Legs, I have sold for enough to make it worthwhile for me.  

If someone wants something for nothing, they can go elsewhere.  If someone wants something cheap, there is Walmart or IKEA (although the IKEA junk is actually not cheap junk it is expensive junk).  I spend a good bit of time on drying my bench stock properly for the intended use (8% for indoor use) along with a good bit of time on the sanding and finish.   Nothing worse than making a fine beautiful piece then doing a crap job finishing it.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »
Good job Tom.  I missed the first part, but I heard the last 30 minutes.  Before I met you I had never heard about the whole mushroom log business.  It's interesting.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #348 on: October 13, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
Tom you sounded like a natural mushroom log expert.  the audio was great, but I never got the picture to tune in.  lol   :) :) :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #349 on: October 13, 2021, 07:02:49 PM »

oh good @WDH I thought this was a prosthetic for a pirate who lost his leg very very high up... :D :D :D
The heck is all this crotch talk and drawings of pants? lol
at least in the diagram he labels where the waste is so you know how to put the pants on...wait there are 3 of them..   :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the details Danny. I had guessed you glued and screwed, but then I wondered if you migh have had a mortise hidden under there. Turned out I guessed right both times, sort of. ;D Nicely executed! I too spend a lot (too much?) time on finishes soemtimes sanding it all off and starting over. What's the point in a pretty piece if the finish is crap? I envy Bill's skill at applying what I call 'fancy stuff in fancy ways' and it always comes out perfect on the first go. If I were a lesser man, I would be jealous. :D
---------
 Well, I got down to the mill today and 'whipped out' some 2x12x14's. Only got 6 out of the log, not much of a 'daily tally' but those were so heavy I couldn't lift them and the forklift as a half mile away. SO I left them all on the loader arms. Those slabs were dang heavy too and even after I cut them into 3 pieces I had trouble moving them to the pile. No matter I was out of logs and leaving them where I did makes an easy lift to get them up to the shop. No more logs on the deck so I was done anyway. That worked out fine. I had to get home for lunch and a shower.
--------
I tried to get a nap in but no-go on that. Wasn't tired. I am not used to going out at night and was stressed about the radio show a little. I left the house before 4pm to make it to the CFA office by 5:15. Even though I hit some slow drivers that mad me a little nuts, I still arrived 25 minutes early, so I cooled my heels in the museum parking lot across the road then pulled in on time. I should have just showed up early because they (2 guys) were just waiting for me. I had a good feeling when I saw a LogRite ATV arch in the parking lot. SO Ryan, the host and his co-host Zane and I piled into Ryan's truck and headed another 20 minutes up the line to the station and did the show. I was a little nervous, but I don't think it came off too poorly. I will have to listen to the show to hear what I said. I do know my cell phone text message beep went off several times before I could get the dang thing turned off AS I was trying to answer a question. I don't want to say what that was all about but the offending text message senders have names that rhyme with Bill and Bryan, as I found out when I finally got home and looked. :D :D Thanks guys!
 The show should be posted a week from tomorrow and I am anxious to hear how it went. I could have relaxed more and it would have come off better, I know that for sure. I did get some music plugs in for local music and I am happy for that anyway but I didn't include all the discography I wanted to because there just wasn't time. Oh well, it is what it is (was). Done with that, it was fun, tomorrow is another day.
 I have to load mushroom logs and get them delivered by 1pm, then I might be stopping to look at a simple tree job on the way home that could yield some firewood and a few bucks besides, but we shall see. So another light day, then Friday back to milling, I am sure there will be a list to be cut for the guys to get nailed up over the weekend. Hopefully there is a deck of logs loaded to support that list. ;D Friday afternoon and sometimes Saturday milling means I have a good chance of having a good tailgunner and whacking stuff out.
 I'm just gonna have a couple of 'pops' and hit the rack and start again tomorrow.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #351 on: October 14, 2021, 08:56:50 AM »
Happy Birthday @doc henderson ! 8) 8) smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce dancing-jack smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_fiddler
I hope you have a great day Bryan! (I figured if I put this here you would see it for sure.)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
Thanks Tom.  up since 5 am yesterday, long night last pm with meetings this am.  having a blue moon after work so I can sleep.  I feel all of 61 this am.  I was born at about 7 am about 23 miles from here.  God bless all.  Doc

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »
I'm excited to listen to the show, Tom, it's become one of my regular podcasts to listen to now. It's relaxing, informative (even several hundred miles away), and funny. I forgot to listen live but I'll catch it soon enough. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
It should be up by this time next week. They post the previous weeks show just before they record the new show and it takes overnight for it to trickle through the system. There is a new show up this morning from last week wherein I got a little plug from the grower that was on who is also one of my clients. In fact I am leaving to deliver another 65 logs to him in a few minutes.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »
Well, with a couple of days messing around with other stuff I got the feeling I needed to catch up on things at the mill. So i headed down this morning and as I expected, there were some logs cued up for a customer order and more shop framing. the 5/4 x12x12 were pretty easy and I got exactly what the customer needed out of one log, but it took some fancy footwork. The 2x12x10'6"s for the shop were pretty easy too but I came up 1 short on the log for what we needed. The slabs were pretty heavy (lots of taper) even after I hacked them into 5' lengths and by the time I was done on that I was pretty pooped. The milling was fine, the tailgunning was wearing me out. I was running out of room for all the slabs from the last 3 or 4 sessions. Then I blew up a blade, ran it too long, a problem for me on this fancy machine, I continue to work on that. I figured I would at least start on the 14 footers but my back was screaming. I got it canted up fine, but geez louise those slabs weighed a ton, even cut to 5 footers I couldn't lift them and had to 'walk' them to the pile, which was out of control. I gave up on any 'neatness' at that point, standing upright was hard enough. But what the heck, I milled up 7 2x12x14's and slid them over onto the loading arms. No way could I move them. I was done, no more logs, and as far as I could tell I was caught up on the orders. I only needed 4 of those 14 footers but got 7, so that will more than make up for the deficit on the 10+ footers.
 I cleaned up and parked the mill, but it was only 2 and although my back was screaming I decided if I wanted to give my back a break going forward I should get a little more practice on that skidsteer.  So I drove up to the shop and parked my truck and jumped in the skidsteer, played with the controls a bit to remember, then headed back to the mill.
 Funny thing abut running equipment, it really helps to have somebody whispering in your ear which button does what, how to do things gently, where the throttle should be etc. On the other hand, if you are like me, it also helps to have time alone with no distractions to figure it out and get it parsed out in your head so it makes sense to you. The problem arises when you can't quite figure it out and there is nobody to touch base with when you need that one piece of information. That would be me today. ;D
 It took a while to get down to the mill and I was in no hurry, trying to get used to the limited sight profile in a skidsteer, watching where the grapple is out in front of me and negotiating curves in the road in some fashion without looking like a spastic. It just takes time, i know this and am in no rush. I ain't getting paid by the hour anyway. ;D So I got to the mill and it took a lot of spastic grapple motions to get the load picked up off the loader arms without making contact with the mill. I am SO glad nobody was watching and there are no video cameras. It wasn't pretty, but I was gonna do this, so I just tried again until it was pretty much right. I did munge up he bottom 2x12 just a bit, but I got the load up and got it out and clear. The I just had to bring the load of 14' boards up a 10' wide road, so I twisted the load a little and wound my way on up. It took a while, but I made it and managed to lay it down as gently as anyone could have wanted. It would have been nice if the pile didn't fall over, but I couldn't help that. It's up there and saved them a trip (which could have been done in less than half the time by anybody else. But I am learning, this is all brand new to me. It just takes time.
 I parked the skidsteer where I found it, jumped in the truck, headed home, had lunch at 2:30, ran to town for fuel and beer (low on both), then came home and mowed the back lawn, which took 2 passes and still looks terrible. There is something whacking in the mower deck I have to fix, so I didn't do the front lawn.  Then I went back down to Bill's because we were going to walk the woods and flag trees. Well he had a salesman there (I have no idea which job he was quoting) and I apparently arrived at beer-thirty, so that's what we did for an hour or two and talked about 'stuff'. I finally had to get home for dinner time, so I took 5 dozen eggs  and drove back then re-stocked Bill's egg stand across the road from my house for the weekend and took a dozen home for us.
 Man, my back is hurting worse tonight than it has in a year or more. I keep looking at the clock and waiting until I can take some more advil. I overdid it, apparently. This may be gone in the morning, but we shall see. Sleep might be tough tonight. Tomorrow is gonna have to be a lighter day for sure. Bill thinks it will be a rain out day to do office work, I am thinking it will be a good working day until late afternoon. Either way, tomorrow is another day. Lets just see what it brings.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
Well I slept OK Friday night but as soon as I got out of bed yesterday I knew it (my back) was still an 'issue'. Hurting pretty good and I had no choice but to lay off for the day. Thought it was going to be a rainout anyway, but the radar showed we had at least 8 hours before the front would hit. I texted Bill to see if we could get out and flag some trees, but he didn't respond and I assumed he was doing family stuff or up on the roof nailing rafters in. I lazed around for the day and took a pretty good nap, which in itself is unusual for me, so I guess I needed it. By mid-afternoon I was going a little stir crazy so I got in the truck and drove down to Bill's. Nobody was home and the dog didn't even bark at me, so I assume she was asleep in the house. I dropped off some jugs of blade lube by the mill and stopped by the pond to watch the birds for a little bit. There are some kind of fish in there and I made a note to check that out sometime. I headed home and the wife had gotten back from her craft show. She did OK for a small show. We made an easy dinner and that was the day. I finally heard back from Bill around 8:30 last night, they were out picking pumpkins with their little girl and doing other family stuff, and it was a good day for that. We made tentative plans to go out and flag today. My back is still sore, but a little better than yesterday. If it's not better by tomorrow I will call in to get a quick fix done, but that costs me another day in lost time. I need my last (I think) 40 logs by the end of the week and I think there is yet more milling to do. I am at around 3,000 BF so far this month. (Interesting note, this will be the 3rd time my 'mushroom log season' has ended this year. Every other time, somebody would call and I found myself at it again. I don't think that will happen this time because I should really wait until late December to cut anymore when the sap is way down. I am hoping the snow gives us a break so that I can cut in January and February and stock up a bit. Those winter cut logs can sit for a couple of months because of the low sap content. Hopefully I can mark some of those trees today.
 Time to get a move on.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
OG, the back/spine is the Achilles heel of humans, while also being so important obviously, the human body is so resilient, but good lord how easy it is to get permanent back pain. I’ve been so careful since my first injury 8 years ago(lumbar bulging disc) and just to injure my spine around the shoulder blade area(I believe this injury came from the incident I posted in did something dumb today thread, small tree fell on my head), now when I hover my head to look down I get a pain, at least at it seems to go away with activity as my lower back pain does, sciatica down the left leg usually stays though.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »
HK I am aware of that as clearly as could be. ;D :D You need to find a good Chiropractor, mine changed my life. After he fixed my intial injuries 3 years ago he started to find other issues and asked me about prior injuries, sometimes it took a day or two for me to recall an incident from decades prior related to that injury, but sure enough he was right every time and he did some adjustments to put stuff back where it belonged. I am at a point now where 'dumb things' that used to take me out for 2 weeks of recovery are now gone by the next morning. My body and bones are more aligned and the load is absorbed better by all the various parts. It's pretty amazing. Friday's dumb move was picking up a couple of 150 pound slabs and carrying them to the pile, not once, but a dozen times. Stupid. Today wasn't so bad, just a little tweaky as we picked our way through the woods marking trees. I might get in Monday fora tune-up, but maybe not. We will see what the rest of today brings. I am going to attack that stove repair job, which should be 'light duty' once I get the screws broken off and drilled out.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2021, 06:36:28 PM »
I thought you'd taught yourself how to run that skid steer thingy he's got up there. ;)  last time I really kinda jacked up my back it was slab wood as well...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Making my 78 year old mother proud

Started by Larrywoodsaw on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 06:51:17 PM
by John_Haylow
xx
Price Increases- Year To Year

Started by Bud Man on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2002, 03:07:27 PM
by Bud Man
xx
Maple syrup any one on here making it making it

Started by jocco on Forestry and Logging

29 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 07:54:22 PM
by Ed_K
xx
WHO IS IN THIS YEAR? LET'S BEAT LAST YEAR!

Started by Jeff on General Board

71 Replies
Last post August 04, 2021, 06:30:58 AM
by Old Greenhorn