iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tennis Elbow?

Started by addicted, June 04, 2021, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

One thing to take a look at, often enough I'll have a timber at a comfortable work height for sawing or layout but when you stand a chisel up on it and try to swing the head of the chisel is too high for a good swinging position. It might be worth trying to roll some scrap timbers up to stand on if that is the case.

Uhh, about that painless weed whacking the other day, yeah I just have slow reactions, yesterday was pretty miserable. This too shall pass.

addicted

Don
 One of the earlier suggestions mentioned switching hands. Tried it today. First thought, not being ambidextrous, the timber is way too high just as you said. Never even entered my mind before with my dominant hand on pine and occasional hardwood but off hand is very awkward, horrible form, and i don't even know what good form is supposed to be. Next was the weight. put the mallet on the scale and it came out to be 3 lbs 10 oz. If at the right height not bad, but swinging that thing twice as much now that I'm working on all oak in a bad position has to be the guilty party.  Cant wait to stand on some offcuts to solve the problem before my left hand falls prey to the same condition. 
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience. 
Rusty

lazyflee

I get "tennis elbow" all the time from cooking. Chopping stuff and flipping pans all day long. Tried a lot of stuff to help it. A guy that comes into my restaurant is a trainer for the Seattle Mariners, he told me to wear a wrist brace at night while sleeping (keeps the wrist straight and tension off the tendon) Works like a charm. I wear the brace 1-2 nights in a row and pain be gone!! Try it

kantuckid

My experience differs:
 Back in my 40's when I was dealing with serious CTS symptoms/issues, I encountered tennis elbow for the first time. 
I was already sleeping in wrist splints to avoid typical CTS pains that wake you up. It sure didn't keep me from getting tennis elbow, I used the forearm bands prescribed by my doc which worked OK but uncomfortable at that. 

Over some years I learned to hate those wrist splints but that's the regimen for alleviating hand pain (and just maybe tennis elbow pain too-who am I to say? :D) and trying for a non-surgical resolution.
 In my case I view the wrist splints as a means to have only prolonged what really did help-CTS Release surgery. I'm 20+ years since the 2nd hand and still get much relief. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Lyndaker

I had tennis elbow last fall and it most definitely isn't fun. I was almost over it when I over did it and reaggravated it again. Several things I learned through it all. Pay attention to your body. Is something getting uncomfortable or difficult, then rest or do something else. Rest was the ticket to my recovery. Since that time I am much more aware what my body is telling me. Hope you heal up soon.

addicted

Three days under the belt using the wood is good mallet. There is a big difference in shock with the urethane head, especially when you grit and swing on oak. Required torque is also less with shorter design. Now with better height, better form, better mallet , should prevent this from happening again.
Thanks to all for your input.

Don P

I determined mine had come from the neck this time, in a sorta funny way. I was asked to check on some critters during a vacation and was dragging a hose, talking in dulcet tones to the donkey and wearing a ball cap. I failed to notice the low board across the top of a stall and about knocked myself out (I mean what kind of numb nut hangs a board at head height!). Full out rolling in manure, splatter on the ground. Whatever the jar did it reset my neck and the elbow let go. Now the rest of my body took about a week to recover  :D. Probably not chiropractor recommended but it worked. I'm more and more conscious of how often we can feel pain in one place but it is really coming from somewhere else.

florida

Several things you can do. Rotate your wrist and hand from left to right as much as you can, that will stretch the tendon. Take a styrofoam cup and fill it with water to the top and freeze it. When it's solid cut the top edge of the foam down a quarter inch or so, so the ice is exposed then rub the ice over the sore area. 30 seconds to a minute is enough and will probably be all you can take. Put the cup back in the freezer and use it as much as you can. Keep cutting the top back as needed. Don't overdo it.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

HemlockKing

I had it before, couldn't pick anything up without lots of pain, also couldn't let go of things quickly without pain, when I set something heavy down I had to let go really slowly, strange, but it was a horrible pain. I haven't had the pain in a few years, it just gradually went away for me until non existent, I guess I got lucky.
A1

BradMarks

Just saw this thread. I've dealt with carpal tunnel for years, repetitive motion activities will bring it on. Painting, nailing, weeding, whatever. Painful to wake up at night, hands so numb and lightning bolts going thru them. I'm sure many others have the same thing. Only cure I know (no, not surgery, never) is relief from the activity (do less) and stretch the fingers/wrist. Edge of a table or desk, fingers out with downward pressure. You'll know how much you can tolerate. As far as tennis elbow, yep, that too. Bone chips removed years ago, told then too change careers, hah!  Heavy lifting, arms extended easily brings on the inflammation, which is what tennis elbow is. As said before in this thread, forearm strap works wonders on the immediate pain, and a couple (400mg total) of ibuprofen to address the issue is what I do. I am a regular bowler, could not do it without the forearm strap. And I go by the adage of "I get half as much done in twice the amount of time". Translated: slowdown.

peakbagger

FWIW, Statins for cholesterol treatment can give symptoms of joint issues. I used to have to have my elbows (bursas)  drained on occasion and was lined up for potential carpal issues in the wrists and elbows. It turned out it was a side effect of Zocor statins. The problem went away when I stopped Zocor. 

mike_belben

Built a few more feet of rock wall yesterday with some good sized limestone boulders. 

this morning left elbow wouldnt go all the way straight unless i endured a sheetrock screw sensation.   Its better right now but i can still feel it lurking just under the surface, waiting for a good excuse to hurt again. 
Praise The Lord

thermos

thank you all for sharing your experiences. 

when my elbow or wrists start to act up, one plant that helps me is stinging nettles (Urtica dioica)

i wave my arms around in the nettle patch and get about a thousand tiny stings. 

my skin doesn't mind it too much and the resulting burning pins and needles sensation seems to calm down the irritated tendons. works for me!

Don P

Now there's one I've never heard. Next time I absentmindedly wander into a patch "I'm doing therapy  :D"

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on July 09, 2021, 10:34:58 PM
Built a few more feet of rock wall yesterday with some good sized limestone boulders.

this morning left elbow wouldnt go all the way straight unless i endured a sheetrock screw sensation.   Its better right now but i can still feel it lurking just under the surface, waiting for a good excuse to hurt again.
It's a sinking ship now lol capn gotta go down with his boat though 
A1

mike_belben

If i could jump off and get a younger boat i sure would!
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!