iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

greenhouse build

Started by tlbrooks, June 29, 2021, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlbrooks

im in the process of building a greenhouse and im using treated store bought boards for the ground contact base boards. could oak sawmill lumber be used to frame the endwalls and frame out the doors ? i was trying to save a few dollars but if they rot out in a year or two i would just as well pay up now. i do have some large sassafras i could use. i know old timers used it for fence post. thanks for any advice

DPatton

White oak should be no problem. But red oak may not last long in a greenhouse environment.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

welderskelter

I built my high tunnel all out of treated lumber. Glad I did because its been 7 years and all is fine. Its pretty wet in there all year.

thecfarm

You say greenhouse? Going to be used all the time? I know a guy that built a greenhouse to sell plants out of. He only used it in the spring. Rest of the year he had the doors open and the wind blew through it. He built it out of store bought lumber. No pressure treated or oak was used, that was not in contact with the ground. When I went and saw him it was up for almost 10 years. Looked good.
Don't forget the fans to have air movement when the door are closed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tlbrooks

it will be used most of the the year to grow crops as a high tunnel. i guess i should have gotten the steel end wall kits when i ordered the kit might have been better than wood. i wish i hade cedar logs to mill . i can buy treated lumber almost as cheap as some people are asking for there sawmill lumber around here. i have never been able to sell anything for prices like i see people asking. maybe what people are asking and actual getting are two different things.  

711ac

I'm not sure about the greenhouse environment, but most wood seems to do well in a vertical position as long as it can dry from both sides. I'm thinking of my experience with traditional barn siding and similar situations. 

Thank You Sponsors!