iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Privacy fence rails 2x4 vs 2x6

Started by Sedgehammer, October 04, 2021, 09:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

puttin up a privacy fence on the one side of our property facing the road. 1x12x8 syp for the panels. will have a top 2x4 for trim along with a 2x4 under it facing the road. my fence guy electrician friend is telling me the 2x6 rails will sag before the 2x4 rails will. Posts will be 8' OC. i'll support the middle of the rails with a brace while the rails air dry. This is going along a stem wall, so i can brace off of the stem wall to under the 2nd rail from the bottom

I can't find anything on the interwebs, so thought I'd ask here.
Necessity is the engine of drive

trimguy

That doesn't make any sense to me, but interested in what others have to say.

WV Sawmiller

Not sure about the sag (Hard to believe 2X6 would sag worse than 2X4) but be sure to check wind conditions in the area. Privacy fences have a bad habit of blowing over if not massively braced in some areas and I heard Oklahoma has a rep for wind.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sedgehammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 04, 2021, 10:02:07 PM
 Not sure about the sag (Hard to believe 2X6 would sag worse than 2X4) but be sure to check wind conditions in the area. Privacy fences have a bad habit of blowing over if not massively braced in some areas and I heard Oklahoma has a rep for wind.

That's what I said

Yup, windy enough here. I think we have that under control. There are corners and if necessary i can put eye bolts with turn buckles from the posts to the stem wall

69bronco

Just did a similar fence, 1x16ish(live edge)x8' tall. I used full 2x6 for top and bott rails and 2x4 in middle. I put a diagonal brace on the back side between posts from top to bottom rail to cure any sag. Seems to be very stable.

Sedgehammer

WV Sawmiller

Saudi Arabia has not adopted our "Adopt a Mile" program and are not, as a society, overly concerned about litter. (Some TCN will clean it up later is their attitude.) It is not uncommon to have a Shammal (a very strong wind/sand storm) and so many plastic bags (What we always referred to as the Saudi National Bird) will blow up against long, strongly built chain link fences that they catch so much wind they actually blow the fences over.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!