iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New blade issue

Started by TroyC, October 16, 2021, 07:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Put a new Timberwolf on the EZ 40 yesterday to finish off a cedar slab. Made a skim cut and saw one tooth was leaving a really deep trail about every quarter inch. First time I had a new blade with a tooth that far out. Put my resharp back on and finished with smooth cut. I am careful handling blades so I don't think I bent it.

I've used about 8 blades out of 15 I bought with the mill. I don't have a setter ( yeah, I know) so I just sharpen a few times and retire the blade. I'm a hobby Sawyer so it's not really worth the setter. Cost of a setter would buy me a lifetime of new blades.

I'm just wondering how often new blades are out of set that bad. Hopefully this was a one in a hundred thing.

ladylake

Just find the bent tooth and bend it back, stuff happens.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

Well, if this was me, I'd much sooner bet that I did something in one of my many moments of in attentiveness that snagged a tooth. That would bring the odds down from 1 in a hundred to almost even.  What Ladylake says.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Cedar is notorious for hiding sand, rocks, tools, and missing children in the bark inseams.  It's quite possible you hit something just as the band entered the log.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

A tooth that far out should be easy to see.  A piece of 3/4" or 1" flat bar with a notch in the end makes a good tooth adjuster.  The notch can be cut with a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel.  The notch only needs to be 1/4" to 3/8" long and 1/16" wide. Pliers work but I don't find them as easy to make fine adjustments.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

TroyC

If I hit something it was at the beginning of the cut. 

I read somewhere on the Forum about a set checker. Any quick ideas on checking blade on saw? I tried to find wayward tooth but was not successful.

LeeB

A digital caliper can be had cheap enough.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

maple flats

The marks it left, were they lower or higher than the rest of the face? If lower, look for the culprit  in that direction on the band, if it was higher look on the top.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

Even a basic tooth setter will do the job, even flea bay has some for under $40, but you could study them and make one for even less.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

ladylake

If it's that nasty you should be able to see the bent tooth by holding it up to the light. To get marks every 1/4" you'd have to be sawing really slow.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

Leave the band on the mill, get an adjustable wrench like a crescent, tighten it to where it just clears the correctly set teeth and drag it down the band.  When it hits the over set tooth, it will tell you.  Then put the tooth in the wrench jaws and tweak it straight.  Very easy, very fast, very common.  Or just use the gap in the jaws as a tooth set checker.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

I will drag the band through my fingers backwards and can usually feel when there is 1 that far out. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TroyC

Thanks everybody! Will do the crescent trick tonight. The bad tooth cut downward into the cant. I didn't take a lot of time to find it, just changed blade out. First new blade I had act that way. 

kelLOGg

Here's what I use to straighten teeth.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

The cresent wrench idea is pretty good. I'll have to remember that one. I would think you would need a better quality one to avoid slop.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customsawyer

If you can't find it bring it by the mill and we will find it together. Call first as I'm going to Moultrie one day this week.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawyerTed

Thread hijack! Moultrie as in the lake?  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

JoshNZ

Quote from: LeeB on October 17, 2021, 10:20:08 AM
The cresent wrench idea is pretty good. I'll have to remember that one. I would think you would need a better quality one to avoid slop.
That's what I thought, most of my crescents have a bit of slop. I'm looking forward to trying this, Ive never been able to find a rogue tooth by feel.

btulloh

I've found that a metric crescent wrench doesn't work as well as an SAE crescent wrench for this.
HM126

LeeB

Southside

Thought you had a bum knee?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Trying to live vicariously!  :D

customsawyer

Moultrie is the name of a town in GA. where they host a annual Ag. show. It will go on Tue., Wed., and Thur. this week. It has always been hosted in the middle of the week. Rumor is that they started it in the middle of the week so the farmers could get out there and see what they needed to see without tripping on the city folks getting in their way. They will have everything for cooking stuff to work dog shows, to plowing and haying demos. Plus sawmills, wood splitters and logging equipment. Before covid you couldn't see it all in three days. Not sure how it is going to be this year. Used to be a group from the forum that would meet up down there and camp.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

It has been a long time since I've attended the Moultrie AG Expo.  Years ago, we would leave school at 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning with our ag kids loaded in a bus and spend the day up there looking at everything.  It was phenomenal and also made for a long day.  
Caveman

SawyerTed

I got excited about the possibility of Lake Moultrie in SC!   :D  Later it dawned on me that Moultrie is also a town in Ga. duh!  ::)

The Richmond, Va. East Coast Sawmill and Logging Expo was about one third of what it usually is.   

Thank You Sponsors!