iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust blowing around

Started by D6c, October 16, 2021, 03:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I'm curious what others do when you have sawdust blowing around the mill.  My mill is set up under the south side of an open-sided pole barn and it seems like the wind is always blowing sawdust in my face.
I sawed four logs yesterday and my eyes felt like they had sand in them all night.  I wear hearing protection for the noise and a mask but only wear my glasses which don't provide much protection.  I really don't want to start wearing goggles too.
Most of what is blowing around is the sawdust off the blade as it exits the cut and not what's coming out of the rubber hose onto the ground.

doc henderson

a sharp blade throws bigger saw dust chunks.  when it looks like the Kansas dust bowl, that can be a factor.  I have a small HF drum fan blowing from behind me, that can push the dust away from me.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

I have my mill orientated so the prevailing winds blow sawdust away from me.  We seldom have a east wind but when we do, it blows dust directly in my eyes.  I don't saw on those days......but if I have to, I put a fan at my back and use this helmet.

Jackson Helmet

The helmet is still not a 100% but it definitely helps.  I like it much better than goggles. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crossroads

I'm at a Different site almost every day and most of the time I don't really have much of a choice as to how I set up. Sure enough, the wind most often blows in my face. Some days I switch from my prescription glasses to sun glasses that offer a little bit more protection. I find myself holding my breath a lot 🙈
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ladylake

It seems like around buildings no matter what the wind direction  he sawdust swirls around and blows in your face. It's a lot better out in the open.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

If you are stationary, then use a big fan behind you.  I have one mounted on the eve blowing down on me and it provides a "cone of no sawdust" around me.  

Don't rely on the wind, make the wind...,
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

I always wear safety glasses with bifocals lens,  then if it is a bad AIR day I have safety glasses with foam arond the edges, then when it is a real bad AIR day sawyng ASH logs (which are the absolute worst) I have ski goggles I wear. 
I saw portable 30-40 days a year. I like to look at the wind when I get to a site and if I can get the wind behind me I will. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

D6c

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 16, 2021, 05:50:54 PM
............. then when it is a real bad AIR day sawyng ASH logs (which are the absolute worst) I have ski goggles I wear.........
I was sawing ash part of the time and you're right, it's nasty.  If I weren't wearing glasses I'd try a pair of the loggers glasses with screens instead of lenses plus side screens.
Got an eye exam coming up 'cause I need new glasses.....might see what they've got.

caveman

While we were waiting on our custom saw job customer this morning we hung a second fan.  We have an oscillating fan perpendicular to the mill and added the other at the tongue.  A few months ago we installed a 120 v dust collector.  I still get a lot of fine sawdust on my face and most likely in my lungs while sawing.  Today we were sawing water oak and Wednesday I was sawing eucalyptus.  When the wind is blowing from the wrong direction, it is similar to going to the beach, swimming in the salt water and then rolling around in the dry beach sand.  I have a 1hp, 4' fan that we will try next but we are getting close to our electrical capacity at the mill shed.
Caveman

jimbarry

I buy a 12 pk of these safety glasses once a year. Toss them at the beginning of each month and put on a fresh one. Works well any time of year, including around the sawmill on a blustery day.

TimW

I have a 5 foot fan right behind me.  I took the 3 inch casters off and mounted 10 inch pneumatic tires from Harbor Freight.  It keeps the sawdust off me until we get strong gusts of wind blowing into me and the fan.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

kelLOGg

I'm more concerned about inhaling fine particulate so I wear an N95 mask with a flap valve. I run 4° bands so my particulate is fine. My mill has a tethered controller so I can move away (mostly) from sawdust blowing directly at me.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

D6c

With only 20 HP I cut fairly slow which causes the sawdust to fine.
I do have a couple of barn fans, one 24" and one 36", that I could try.  With cold weather coming it will be too cold to use them pretty soon.

YellowHammer

I think it's very important to wear safety glasses when sawing, no matter if I'm in the sawdust or not.  I use the S&W style and use them as sunglasses and they go over my eyes when I walk out of the house.

I have a stationary control station, and so don't have to walk along next to the head.  

Wind blow sawdust can be defeated, and I typically will stop sawing unless I get my fan or fans set correctly.  If I'm going to be sawing all day I don't want to be bathing in sawdust all day, either.  So I'll stop and make adjustments to the fans until they are right.  

I have one metal bladed fan mounted to our building, high and pointed down, set over my shoulder and not blowing on me but over me, and it's fun to see the sawdust coming my way, and the wind from the fan catch it and blow it away.  In the winter, I don't like the wind on my neck, or me fro that matter, but the fan is set to intercept the sawdust and blow it away before it can get to me.  

In the summer, when its hot, I'll also have a 40 inch barrel fan blowing on me from behind, and there's nothing that can get to me, and it keeps me cool.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

I wear these:  LINK  They are wrap around design with 1.50 bifocal and the amber lenses brighten everything up for easier vision.  I buy 3 at the time for free shipping.

I will not saw without proper hearing & eye protection, mask, gloves, and safety toe boots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

I really fought this issue before I built the sawmill shed. It has helped tremendously, but with one side completely open, and I have the seat on my mill so I'm closer to the dust, there are days when it swirls and I just can't get out of it. We wear masks, hearing protection and safety glasses, but the best safety glasses don't keep everything out. I can't stand goggles. We've set up a fan above and behind, when I'm closer to it, it works ok, but as I move away I lose the effect. 

I've considered on of these many times, just haven't pulled the trigger. I think it would work well in the shop for dust applications as well, wood turners use them. Anyone had any experience with one?

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/trend-u*air-pro?feeds=shopping&cm_mmc=Google-_-PRODUCTFEED-_-Trend-_-U*AIR/PRO&gclid=CjwKCAjwk6-LBhBZEiwAOUUDp-UcQ8NEoFuHIMxiMpzjEhbdYMPaQ-DrywoRXlTsoMVN8RGRmlc3YRoCZAQQAvD_BwE
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Old Greenhorn

I found it anyway. That's pretty fancy! But for that kind of money a guy would like to try one out or at least see one, or at the very least talk to a guy who uses one. It's kind of like an open PAPR unit (Positive Air Pressure Respirator). If you do pull the trigger, please let us all know how it works out for you. Just curious, is your LT50 a walk along or stationary console? 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 17, 2021, 09:27:06 AM..... Just curious, is your LT50 a walk along or stationary console?
Oops, just saw, you have a seat, so are a captive audience for all the 'action', sawdust wise.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

Quote from: Magicman on October 17, 2021, 08:39:54 AM
I wear these:  LINK  They are wrap around design with 1.50 bifocal and the amber lenses brighten everything up for easier vision.  I buy 3 at the time for free shipping.

I will not saw without proper hearing & eye protection, mask, gloves, and safety toe boots.
That is exactly what I use, but without the yellow tint. I will try the yellow tint next time. It would be nice if they had a nice grey shade also fo those really sunny days.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

While I was looking at the link I went ahead and ordered 3 more pair this morning.  Yes, yellow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!