iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild mushrooms-

Started by DMcCoy, October 18, 2021, 08:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

The 'shaggy parasol' - Excellent eating, LARGE -easy to find!
My 4 books list 3 different mushrooms across the US.  I'm in Oregon, a similar mushroom in a different area may not be the same. My books also say this is one of the most mis-identified mushrooms causing poisoning, please be very careful!
These are just getting started, they open up flatter, but not flat.  Cap will be 6-8" in diameter about 8" off the ground.  Scraping the stem with a knife must produced a "saffron" color. Fried with all that fuzz attached.  Book mentions some people have a reaction to these but I have eaten them for years with no issues.  Must be cooked.

The "clover" in the second picture is 'Oxalis oreganum' and is edible also but is VERY sour.

Southside

I still struggle with the 20 something different Oaks we have here.  No way I am messing with shrooms. It's been probably 25 years but I remember a family that went harvesting wild mushrooms and cooked them into a spaghetti sauce, kids and mom died from organ failure and I think dad perished as well eventually.  

Think I will stick to deer, never misidentified one of them.  But again, there was the time a guy showed up at the moose check station with a gutted out mule, so it happens. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DMcCoy

Yeah that happened out here too.  Misidentified a mushroom that looked exactly like one they had eaten in Japan but it was not the same- different continent-different mushroom.  Liver transplants for some, the others died, about 8 people if I remember correctly.  My wife will only eat the chanterel's I bring home.  The shaggy's I get to myself.
You eastern guys and all your trees, I'm more than a little envious, we have so few hardwood trees, 6 or so different species, it's hard to mix them up.

Chuck White

The Clover you mentioned looks more like Shamrock to me, if it's sour, that's probably what it is!

Around here most of the shamrock we see will grow along the edge of a building or on the edge of a garden!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside on October 18, 2021, 08:21:53 AMBut again, there was the time a guy showed up at the moose check station with a gutted out mule, so it happens.
i wonder how he tasted? If I were running the game check station I'd never had said a word. :D

I read once where a hunter in Arizona or New Mexico or such came across a guy dragging a burro out and was real proud of his "mule deer". He said he even helped him drag it a while and always wondered how it tasted. ;)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

mine are
Shaggy Mane
Morels
Puff balls
I like them because i know what i am picking

have never had a Chanterelle
I know there is a false Chanterelle

"let the machines do the work"

Southside

WV those moose check stations are run by biologists and wardens, not to mention the thrones of people just hanging out.  Used to be a cooker of some kind there so it was really a social event.  No keeping it quiet, and I am sure it became a very expensive lesson.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!