The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Costa Rica  (Read 1120 times)

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
Re: Costa Rica
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
I had to put gates on the farm yard to try to keep the thieves out.  When we went to Jamaica years ago, all shops had gates they locked up across the fronts and padlocked shut.  Houses had bars, and the resorts had security personnel with AK 47's patroling the perimeter.  Makes you wonder what is going on there.  Cool thing is about Jamaica, no mosquitoes anywhere we went.
It's not that bad here, we have guards in banks and some bigger businesses like walmarts and co. , but not machinegun or pump action guarded. the houses mostly have bars and in the cities even electricity fences
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Greenie

• retired..45 years recreational land management
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
Sinaloa Mexico - love the place! Camped on the beach for 4-8 weeks for a number of years. Mexico isn't Costa Rica but there are some similarities.
Food and energy costs are as high if not higher than the US. Quality of goods like appliances is poor. Mail delivery is slow and sometimes incomplete.
Teachers are very unionized - often at the expense of the students. Teachers and other unionized workers may close down critical highways where even ambulances with critically ill patients aren't permitted to pass.
Americans are accustomed to walking into a car parts store and usually leaving with the desired item in hand - this is the exception rather than the rule in Latin America.
Even if one is conversant in Spanish inflection (in depth, revealing conversations) are fraught with problems which will cause numerous issues that can cost money and raise blood pressures.
As much as I love Mexico after 2 months I'm ready to return to the US.
Anyone considering making a move of this caliber ought to spend a lot of time living there first.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 06:17:42 AM »
My wife and I went in early 2019 and Costa Rica was beautiful. We stayed in the middle of the country, in Canaan, on the way to Cerro Chirripo. We didn't know any Spanish and it was much more a culture shock than we expected due to not wanting to stay in the more touristy areas. The roads, driving, and pedestrians do crazy things (motorcycles passing semi-trucks on the shoulder while people walk on the shoulder too!). The lack of street signs made it challenging to understand where we were, literally our first turn out of the car rental joint was the wrong way and we were immediately lost. Rather than drive Rt. 2 down the middle of the country we drove for a couple hours before we saw the Pacific Ocean and I knew we'd (I'd) messed up. Everyone also suggested getting a gps with the rental, which turned out to be less functional and more confusing than I expected as well. 

The fences and bars and gates and stuff made me a bit nervous but upon driving through San Isidro de El General, a decent sized city, at night, where there were lots of people milling about and a big soccer game happening, showed me that things were relatively safe. While things, in the city (both San Isidro and San Jose) weren't quite as clean and organized at what I'm used to around here I never once felt like we were in danger. 

Regardless of any of that everyone didn't seem upset and were patient with our lack of Spanish speaking (we kind of tried but it probably came out very poorly), and folks were very friendly. I found costs of food to be quite inexpensive, we had a couple meals that would have been 3 times more expensive in my neck of the woods, groceries and beer were also inexpensive for us, but maybe that's changed a bit. We did have a more expensive meal in San Jose, but that was still only like 50 bucks. Our rental house was comparatively expensive as kind of anywhere else we've gone. 

All in all, it was a nice trip but I don't know if I'd go back. I've gone to a couple foreign countries now and the stress of not speaking the language is challenging to me. It was very neat to see and I'm very happy we went but if there's a next time we may do a few days in a more touristy spot then a few days in the back country.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »
Teachers are very unionized - often at the expense of the students. Teachers and other unionized workers may close down critical highways where even ambulances with critically ill patients aren't permitted to pass

So not just in CR! Probably a Latino problem. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
FDH does Costa Rica...

Started by crtreedude on General Board

54 Replies
Last post January 31, 2006, 05:32:41 AM
by crtreedude
xx
Best way to see Costa Rica?

Started by Handy Andy on Travel Guide

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 09:14:01 AM
by metalspinner