The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Sometimes All I Can Do is Laugh at Myself  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
Re: Sometimes All I Can Do is Laugh at Myself
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »
  Since it is a Ford and since it is aluminum just go ahead and drill and rivet your sign in place. :D
Hot melt glue would work just as good and be faster!

I think maybe the kind of problem I would like to have, how to attach a sign to a brand new truck. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 06:24:44 AM »
Yes the speed limit shows on the nav screen. No need to know what all the buttons do except the voice button. Just tell the truck what you want it to do. 

Online customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 06:43:07 AM »
On my 2017 truck the one that made me about jump out of the truck was the auto windshield wipers. First time they came on and I didn't even know I had them was not good for the heart. I went through the manual and turned a lot of that auto stuff off. I'm pretty sure I know when to turn the wipers on or when to dim the lights.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
Iím glad to know Iím not the only one thatís having a little trouble getting used to a smart truck.  Mostly I like all the features but I kinda feel like the truck is in charge and not me. 

The first time I was hooking up a trailer was kind of a shocker. I was two-footing the pedals to get the hitch lined up and the traction control decided something was amiss and disabled power to the wheels.  :(  

Not sure if thereís aluminum in these Ram trucks or not but I donít use any magnetic signs so not an issue for me.  Interesting how some of these changes in materials, etc. have unintended consequences. 
HM126

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »
Yes the speed limit shows on the nav screen. No need to know what all the buttons do except the voice button. Just tell the truck what you want it to do.
Great! After all these years having my wife tell me how to drive now my truck is going to want to argue with me too! I hope there is a mute button for at least one of them.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »
All these comments make me all the more sure I'm keeping my 2014 GMC, which as my wife points out is now "the 7th last truck Im ever going to own."
Pretty basic but has features that I still dont comprehend.
cant imagine having to cope with all new features.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
Mr. Milton:
Congratulations on your new wheels.
You obviously had or have more commas in your checking account bottom line than most of us do.
Enjoy!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Old saw fixer

• Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
      I don't need a smart truck, my smart phone and Fluke multimeter are smarter than I am!  My 1992 GMC K1500 Sierra does all I need.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »
After wrecking my 2014 Toyota in September I got a nearly new 2020 Toyota 4Runner to replace it. This past Sunday we drove it into Maryland and the GPS Lady announced "welcome to Maryland", I wondered how far south I need to go for her to add "Yall" to that such as "welcome to Georgia yall".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Online Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
A smart navigation system would immediately begin directing you toward the nearest Waffle House. My 2017 BMW navigation system is almost entirely voice activated and struggles with my southern drawl. That's the problem with buying an import from Spartanburg South Carolina. Them folks up nawth talk funny.

Online SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
I'm somewhere in the middle on some of this "technology and stuff" (see 2014 World Series MVP Presentation).  Some of it is great, some of it is just showing off.  I have a new to me 2019 High Country Silverado that does much of what Yellowhammer describes his new truck does.  It really is a "Cowboy Cadillac"

One of my employees here just bought a 2021 F150.  While the buttons are different and the menus are a bit different, many of the functions are exactly alike.  I just wonder if the brains behind all this "technology and stuff" are the same across manufacturers?  Stranger things have happened like the joint transmission development between Chevy and Ford.  

Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »
Personally, I think it's just bunch of nerds sitting around and saying "Hey this would be cool."

Here's one that happened to me today, no BS.  My iPhone has apparently mated with the talking lady in the truck.  So everything my cell phone knows or overhears now becomes available to the truck.  Today I was driving and was talking on the truck phone with a buddy, using the Ford internal speaker phone, which is crystal clear, and I mentioned that with the cold weather, it would be a great day to go deer hunting, and I had been seeing lots of good bucks on our farm.  We talked about deer hunting for a bit and then started yakking about other things and our conversation ended, and we hung up.  I eventually pulled up in my driveway, and my phone flashed on and the GPS Google Map app was displayed on the screen.  I had not hit any buttons.  

Guess what it was giving me directions to?  You won't believe this.  It had a map displayed and was giving me an ETA to my nearest deer stand out in the woods, which I had entered as a waypoint several years ago so I could find it better in the dark. :o :o I hadn't even thought about that waypoint in years.  My jaw hit the floor.  This is just more than creepy.   :o :o

With all this stuff, I'm almost afraid to turn on the "multi-zone seat massager."  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  So donít burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »
Donít get me wrong youíve got a great looking truck hopefully it serves you well for many years. 
That stuff creeps me out a little bit.
Iím a big fan of throwing my phone in the tractor toolbox when I head to the field for the day. 
Always wonder if those that are listening on the other end ever get tired of hearing a straight piped diesel  ;D

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2021, 10:03:57 PM »
Well that explains why the Game Warden for your area got a notification today too.  That is beyond creepy for sure.  I disabled the On Star on my Chevy and installed an after market version that does not hook up to the GPS or Chevy, just lets me talk through the phone via the radio speakers.  Obviously there is still the Google issue, but at least it's one less connection.  

Something similar happened once when I was giving directions to a customer on how to take "Rt 40" and my phone, which was in the case, on my hip, started to blab about "Highway 40".  Right after that I disabled a ton of app allowances on my phone.  Got all kinds of warnings that the phone would not work, yadda, yadda, yadda.  The only thing that does not work is speaking to text, otherwise evertying else is fine.  I am not going to allow them to spy on me, they will have to work at it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Poquo

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2021, 07:14:55 AM »
Found a safety feature on my 2016 Ram 1500 the other day I was backing up slowly to a lumber stack opened the door so I could see better the truck stopped. If the driver side door is open the truck won't move, but the passenger side door don't affect it, I didn't try the 2 back doors.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »
Yet ANOTHER reason why I took the doors OFF of my truck (but I tricked it into thinking that they were on & closed). Thereís times when a person needs to be able to see better, and itís no different than doorless Jeepís running around. The wifeís truck, I ainít touching, but she uses it for her mail delivery as well. Since my phone wonít allow me to to post pics (Doc Henderson will back me up on that) you can see it in my gallery. Now if one of the admins (please) will look in my gallery and post it for me, that would be great 👍

Trying harder everyday.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2021, 06:30:57 PM »
Thank you VERY much, MOST appreciated! 8)
Trying harder everyday.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2021, 06:38:25 PM »
That is a true classic, and I love the swing away rear view mirror mount.  You need to move to Bama, youíd fit right in.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  So donít burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 06:45:40 PM »
  Since it is a Ford and since it is aluminum just go ahead and drill and rivet your sign in place. :D
Hot melt glue would work just as good and be faster!

I think maybe the kind of problem I would like to have, how to attach a sign to a brand new truck. ;D
I was thinking that it would be just as easy and faster to poke some holes in the door with a nail and hammer.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
That is a true classic, and I love the swing away rear view mirror mount.  You need to move to Bama, youíd fit right in.  
I live in Arkansas ya know. Isnít that close enough? After all, I did make to the last pig roast. 16hr up & 36hr back. Caught up in some STUPID traffic. But thatís a story all itís own. Not to mention, by the time we were over the 1/2 way back part, we were so tired that we slept in her truck in the very front of a convenience store. At least the employees COULD see if anything was happening to us, not that they would do anything about it.
Trying harder everyday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Don't Laugh

Started by etat on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post August 09, 2004, 06:26:58 AM
by Egon
xx
Don't laugh at me, but what is ...?

Started by Frickman on General Board

92 Replies
Last post February 25, 2006, 08:35:39 PM
by dail_h