iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes All I Can Do is Laugh at Myself

Started by YellowHammer, November 03, 2021, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

All these comments make me all the more sure I'm keeping my 2014 GMC, which as my wife points out is now "the 7th last truck Im ever going to own."
Pretty basic but has features that I still dont comprehend.
cant imagine having to cope with all new features.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GAB

Mr. Milton:
Congratulations on your new wheels.
You obviously had or have more commas in your checking account bottom line than most of us do.
Enjoy!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old saw fixer

I don't need a smart truck, my smart phone and Fluke multimeter are smarter than I am!  My 1992 GMC K1500 Sierra does all I need.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

gspren

After wrecking my 2014 Toyota in September I got a nearly new 2020 Toyota 4Runner to replace it. This past Sunday we drove it into Maryland and the GPS Lady announced "welcome to Maryland", I wondered how far south I need to go for her to add "Yall" to that such as "welcome to Georgia yall".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Claybraker

A smart navigation system would immediately begin directing you toward the nearest Waffle House. My 2017 BMW navigation system is almost entirely voice activated and struggles with my southern drawl. That's the problem with buying an import from Spartanburg South Carolina. Them folks up nawth talk funny.

SawyerTed

I'm somewhere in the middle on some of this "technology and stuff" (see 2014 World Series MVP Presentation).  Some of it is great, some of it is just showing off.  I have a new to me 2019 High Country Silverado that does much of what Yellowhammer describes his new truck does.  It really is a "Cowboy Cadillac"

One of my employees here just bought a 2021 F150.  While the buttons are different and the menus are a bit different, many of the functions are exactly alike.  I just wonder if the brains behind all this "technology and stuff" are the same across manufacturers?  Stranger things have happened like the joint transmission development between Chevy and Ford.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

Personally, I think it's just bunch of nerds sitting around and saying "Hey this would be cool."

Here's one that happened to me today, no BS.  My iPhone has apparently mated with the talking lady in the truck.  So everything my cell phone knows or overhears now becomes available to the truck.  Today I was driving and was talking on the truck phone with a buddy, using the Ford internal speaker phone, which is crystal clear, and I mentioned that with the cold weather, it would be a great day to go deer hunting, and I had been seeing lots of good bucks on our farm.  We talked about deer hunting for a bit and then started yakking about other things and our conversation ended, and we hung up.  I eventually pulled up in my driveway, and my phone flashed on and the GPS Google Map app was displayed on the screen.  I had not hit any buttons.  

Guess what it was giving me directions to?  You won't believe this.  It had a map displayed and was giving me an ETA to my nearest deer stand out in the woods, which I had entered as a waypoint several years ago so I could find it better in the dark. :o :o I hadn't even thought about that waypoint in years.  My jaw hit the floor.  This is just more than creepy.   :o :o

With all this stuff, I'm almost afraid to turn on the "multi-zone seat massager."  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

newoodguy78

Don't get me wrong you've got a great looking truck hopefully it serves you well for many years. 
That stuff creeps me out a little bit.
I'm a big fan of throwing my phone in the tractor toolbox when I head to the field for the day. 
Always wonder if those that are listening on the other end ever get tired of hearing a straight piped diesel  ;D

Southside

Well that explains why the Game Warden for your area got a notification today too.  That is beyond creepy for sure.  I disabled the On Star on my Chevy and installed an after market version that does not hook up to the GPS or Chevy, just lets me talk through the phone via the radio speakers.  Obviously there is still the Google issue, but at least it's one less connection.  

Something similar happened once when I was giving directions to a customer on how to take "Rt 40" and my phone, which was in the case, on my hip, started to blab about "Highway 40".  Right after that I disabled a ton of app allowances on my phone.  Got all kinds of warnings that the phone would not work, yadda, yadda, yadda.  The only thing that does not work is speaking to text, otherwise evertying else is fine.  I am not going to allow them to spy on me, they will have to work at it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Poquo

Found a safety feature on my 2016 Ram 1500 the other day I was backing up slowly to a lumber stack opened the door so I could see better the truck stopped. If the driver side door is open the truck won't move, but the passenger side door don't affect it, I didn't try the 2 back doors.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Tacotodd

Yet ANOTHER reason why I took the doors OFF of my truck (but I tricked it into thinking that they were on & closed). There's times when a person needs to be able to see better, and it's no different than doorless Jeep's running around. The wife's truck, I ain't touching, but she uses it for her mail delivery as well. Since my phone won't allow me to to post pics (Doc Henderson will back me up on that) you can see it in my gallery. Now if one of the admins (please) will look in my gallery and post it for me, that would be great 👍

Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

YellowHammer

That is a true classic, and I love the swing away rear view mirror mount.  You need to move to Bama, you'd fit right in.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Larry on November 03, 2021, 11:01:34 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 03, 2021, 10:26:56 PM
  Since it is a Ford and since it is aluminum just go ahead and drill and rivet your sign in place. :D
Hot melt glue would work just as good and be faster!

I think maybe the kind of problem I would like to have, how to attach a sign to a brand new truck. ;D
I was thinking that it would be just as easy and faster to poke some holes in the door with a nail and hammer.

Tacotodd

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 05, 2021, 06:38:25 PM
That is a true classic, and I love the swing away rear view mirror mount.  You need to move to Bama, you'd fit right in.  
I live in Arkansas ya know. Isn't that close enough? After all, I did make to the last pig roast. 16hr up & 36hr back. Caught up in some STUPID traffic. But that's a story all it's own. Not to mention, by the time we were over the 1/2 way back part, we were so tired that we slept in her truck in the very front of a convenience store. At least the employees COULD see if anything was happening to us, not that they would do anything about it.
Trying harder everyday.

Resonator

Reminds me of Seinfeld when Kramer got ticketed for speeding, running a red light, no license, no registration, no plates, no brake lights, no rear view mirror, and... driving with no doors. "I'm fighting that one!" :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

Quote from: snowstorm on November 04, 2021, 06:24:44 AM
 need to know what all the buttons do except the voice button. Just tell the truck what you want it to do.
"Truck, stop invading my privacy and storing my conversations and routes on servers."
Praise The Lord

Tom the Sawyer

Last year I bought a new SUV, trading in my 2007... what a change in technology.  This one even watches my eyes and will remind me to watch the road, put my hands back on the wheel, take a break after 2 hours of driving, watches for drowsiness.

One thing YH mentioned brought a flashback.  The auto-dimming headlights, recently pretty common, the first ones I ever saw were on late 50s Cadillacs and upper end Buick, Olds, and Pontiacs.  And back then the high/low switch was on the floor.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

YellowHammer

Wow, mine doesn't do that.  My wife doesn't even do that.....what make and model SUV does that?  I bet it has aluminum doors, also.....does it tell you to take out the garbage and empty the dishwasher? :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

SawyerTed

Even the Corvair Monza Spyder had auto dimming headlights 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

My wifes Subaru Forester watches your eyes as you drive.  If you look down it will beep.  If you close your eyes for too long it will beep.  You set your settings for seat and mirrors and it recognizes your face.  When I get in it to drive, it will move the seats and mirrors to where I like them.  It also has cameras or sensors looking down and will beep when the car crosses a paint line without the blinker on.  My truck doesn't do anything like that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hilltop366

A car sales guy was telling me about the older couple that was trading in their car for a new one, the man asked the sales guy "does the new car have voice activated cruse control like my old one?" the salesman said "I've never heard of that, does your old car really have that?" the man replied "sure it does, everytime I go over the speed limit I hear a voice that says slow the @&%* down!".

Tom the Sawyer

Mine is a 2020 Subaru Forester Touring.  Facial recognition, lane monitoring, adaptive cruise control, headlights and backup camera follow the steering wheel, collision avoidance, phone/radio linking, navigation systems, lane monitoring, engine function monitoring, and on and on.  

The quick start guides and manuals for the various security, driver monitoring, vehicle operations, etc., are over 1200 pages.  Delivery introduction is about 45 minutes with an follow up session a month later to answer any questions that come up.  If you come in for the follow up they give you a free gas card.

The one I traded in (with 253,000 miles) had power locks/seats, and a radio.  Culture shock.  :o
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Tom King

I use lines on the road to lengthen turn radiuses without thinking about it.  When I drive my Wife's Subaru, it argues with me around every turn.

newoodguy78

That would get awfully annoying to me. I just as soon put the vehicle where I want it versus being told where it wants to go  :D

Thank You Sponsors!