iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Sugar 2022

Started by Corley5, November 23, 2021, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

We are all tapped, no tanks out yet. we had 0F Saturday night. We will get the vacuum pump and the tanks out today or tomorrow. I am going to dig the holes today,  in the snow, to put the tanks in. We still have 3' of snow on the ground here. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

I don't see anyone tapping here near the road as they usually do. I suspect my cousin is on the back end of the lot tapping. Usually maple trees beside the road here tapped by the neighbors, none yet. And it's been mild for a week, with a storm on the weekend. But 30F here this morning, maybe I'll see some sap cans. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I see the pales are going up today. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

We gathered 800 gallons of sap today and ran it through the RO, now it'll wait until tomorrow morning and two will gather (about 500, I guess) and the other two will crank up the evaporator!

Last night, it never got below freezing, and it was still 36° when I got up this morning!

I think it's going to be another short year, but longer (more production) than last year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

We finnaly got our vacuum pump up and running late yesteday afternnon, weather broke yesterday and went above freezing. It finnally looks like spring here. foggy and cool here this moring, just above freezing, we will see if we get a run. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

OH logger

Boiling the last of our sap here in western Ohio. Was a decent year. Had better but had worse too. 10.3 gallons per bucket. And just under .3 gallon finished syrup per tap. Not too bad. How do most of you finish your last boil? I normally boil all the sap then chase with water for an hour or so then get it down low as I feel comfortable with. Thoughts?
john

Kodiakmac

I was at the brother-in-law's sugar bush yesterday afternoon.   It had gone down to 27F the night before and by 1:00 pm it was 37F - the sap was running really well. 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Chuck White

The weather here has been CRAZY, it hasn't been below freezing at night in the last 3 days, but the sap ran last night and all day today!

We boiled what was still in the evaporator and all of what we gathered today and then bottled the 30+ gallons, that makes for a long day!

We're likely to do the same thing tomorrow, and it hit 60° here today!  
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

It wants to run but mother nature is just not cooperating. 60F yeterday, no freezing in the last 2 nights, rain all weekend and finally a cold front coming thru Sunday night. ?
Only 100 gallons of sap so far, not enough to fire up the rig yet. Vacuum is finally working after numerous challenges. Still only 10" of vacuum. So into the bush tomorrow to try and find the leaks. Last year I was able to get 18" of vacuum.

Chuck White

I do believe that we are VERY CLOSE to the end of the season.

It's just too warm!

We'll beat last years production, but not by much!

Chuck White

Well, we're ahead of last year's total by a good margin!

Last year we made a total of 88 gallons, and now we're at 120+, and it looks like it's going to hang on for a while yet!

mudfarmer

It sure is hanging on! Still boiling-- well, shutting down for the night hopefully anyway. Gotta work tomorrow, today, whatever. Ran hard again and hope the perpetual fog hangs in there a while.. have not sold sap yet like last few years just burning the candle at both ends  running-doggy

SwampDonkey

Been slow here, I haven't seen a single boil yet. Been cold, has only been 40 one day in a week. In the shade the ground here has been as hard as cement. Freezing rain today.

Chuck White

Not enough sap to gather today, so we bottled up some gallons, halves & quarts!

Total to date now is 129+

We'll gather and boil again tomorrow.

Stephen1

We boiled all week from Monday night till today. This is the most 1st run we have ever collected. 
50 litres bottled and another 25 in the rig to Finnish.
Winter is back here tonight what looks like 5-6 days. We will see. 
Our best runs in the past have always been the 1st week of April. 
We still have lots of snow in the bush and predicting 10-12" of snow tonight into Monday. 

GAB

Quote from: Stephen1 on March 26, 2022, 09:18:34 AM
We boiled all week from Monday night till today. This is the most 1st run we have ever collected.
50 litres bottled and another 25 in the rig to Finnish.
Winter is back here tonight what looks like 5-6 days. We will see.
Our best runs in the past have always been the 1st week of April.
We still have lots of snow in the bush and predicting 10-12" of snow tonight into Monday.
Do you have any idea what your sugar content is?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Corley5

We're running.  Been a rough start.  Lots of squirrel damage in the woods, frozen underground lines from the cold and lack of snow. We missed an early run because of it.  Plumbing the new RO was more of a task that I envisioned and we were missing the bottom fittings for a membrane vessel.  I got them from my maple equipment guy and lo and behold they're different from the other vessel.  I've got to go to his place Monday and get the right ones if he has them.  I'll call first.  We're running 600gph with one membrane pulling to 9.5% in one pass.  It's cool but 14% would better :).  Thursday I ran out of tank space late in the afternoon and ran some sap on the ground :( until the RO project was complete.  When we started chewing on sap there was about 4,000 gallons tanked up.  After yesterday's run we got the rig sweet and pulled about 50 gallons of finished syrup and have 1,300+ gallons of sap to process today.  Sap's right at 2% as it usually is in our bush.  Cold for a few days.  Looks like sap weather again Thursday.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

We had a film crew yesterday too  8) 8) 
  Dee's family is coming today for the show.  Her Uncle Bill from Sioux Falls came in late yesterday afternoon to see the operation.  He's helped tap in the past but has never seen the syrup making process.  He's coming about noon today to help out  8) 8)  The rest of them will be here later in the day.  I'm getting a late start so I'm not done before they show up ;) ;D  No sap today 33 for a high and falling to the teens later.

Corley5

The season's underway.  Two 15.5 gallon kegs and a 55 gallon drum filled, 5 gallons or so left for seed in the canner.  Caught up.  Going to be a few days before sap weather again.

OH logger

We had a good year I suppose. Ended up with just over 56 gallon off 200 buckets. Also with a couple boils left dad finally got tired of washin flat filters which was always his job. I dont have time to do it either. So
I called sugarbush supplies in Michigan about filter presses. They happened to have a wesfab/CDL 4 bank electric diaphragm pump press on hand. I went up and picked it up. Used it for About the last 3 batches. Usually we'll try to filter 10 gallon batches. Worked real good but I'm no pro at it yet that's for sure. That should be plenty big for that size batch I'd say unless it's end of the season stuff or real sandy. I really didn't need an air pump even though I know they're nice but kinda overkill for me. Didn't want a electric gear pump at all. So this seemed to be the best fit. They say the pump isnt warrantied because of the heat but I figure no more than what I do it'll be just fine. Any of you guys familiar with the wesfab 4 bank press? 
john

Lebel Logging

Quote from: OH logger on March 26, 2022, 08:30:42 PM
We had a good year I suppose. Ended up with just over 56 gallon off 200 buckets. Also with a couple boils left dad finally got tired of washin flat filters which was always his job. I dont have time to do it either. So
I called sugarbush supplies in Michigan about filter presses. They happened to have a wesfab/CDL 4 bank electric diaphragm pump press on hand. I went up and picked it up. Used it for About the last 3 batches. Usually we'll try to filter 10 gallon batches. Worked real good but I'm no pro at it yet that's for sure. That should be plenty big for that size batch I'd say unless it's end of the season stuff or real sandy. I really didn't need an air pump even though I know they're nice but kinda overkill for me. Didn't want a electric gear pump at all. So this seemed to be the best fit. They say the pump isnt warrantied because of the heat but I figure no more than what I do it'll be just fine. Any of you guys familiar with the wesfab 4 bank press?
Do you have any pictures ? 
Im familiar with 10 inch square press with a diaphragm pump. The secret is to charge it good at the beginning. The first syrup of the season gonna need lots of powder because there no particule in the syrup to make a filtratiom cake in the bank. Once it make lots of particule in the syrup not much powder to no powder at all will work. At the end of the season when it stop making sugar deposit in the pan you will need a lots of powder again, and i mean A LOT  :D. It got to look like cake before you charge it. Hope it will help you !  :)

Chuck White

Corley, you sure have a clean sugarhouse.

We're up to 139 gallons now, the rest will go into a barrel or barrels.

Stephen1

We measured just over 2% sugar which is normal for us. I oulled another 100 gallons of sap in the evening and boiled till midnight. Cleaned everything out and stored the almost syrup till next boil. Should be Thursday or Friday. Winter is back, with lake effexts snow flurries here. looks like nid winter here again. 

Jeff

The Film crew just finished eating pancakes and Maple Syrup at our cabin, and I am sending them out to sit by the cell tower on Airport road to upload to da network.

NEWS AT SIX :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Cousins just fired up the evaporator a bit ago. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!