iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I was trying to include the grits bashing glaciated types too to show that I am an open minded guy person individual man.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 02, 2022, 09:37:43 AM
Well Bill, at least you have a beautiful floor to looks at while you are lying there! (Not to mention that chair in the corner!) Feel better man, tomorrow is another year.
True, Tom, the view isn't that bad.  I'm also seeing a little bit of snow falling out the window that makes me happy. Also I can see my sawmill, mule and tractor out the window. 

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2022, 01:30:07 PM
Brandi,

I think you are out of touch. Don't you know gender specific pronouns and terms and such are no longer allowed? I am just trying to be politically correct and ensure all FF members know I care and love them equally - even the ones who criticize my ATV driving. :D

Anyway, I was just trying to help and I apologize if anything I said unintentionally offended you - usually when I offend people it is on purpose. :D Take care, Be careful with that big ugly RO crotch log.
I like gals vs. girls as its more age neutral? ;D  Are we really gonna "go there"? on wokeness...such as birth person, etc..
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

ladylake

It's -27   , nothing   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: ladylake on January 02, 2022, 10:40:43 AM

It's -27   , nothing   Steve
I was in Ely MN in about 1995 and it was -30.  Man that was cold.  My little Ford Ranger used to living in MO did not want to start.  It did start and ran at about 3rpm for a long time.  Slowly it began to speed up.  I headed south and the cab did not heat up.  I think I was in Biwabik when I stopped and bungee corded my floormats to the grill to cover up the radiator.  It finally began to warm up in the cab.  I drove all the way back to MO like that.  The next day I replaced the thermostat which had stuck open.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sumday

Thanks for the replies on the yarn bowls. I'll Google them up.

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 02, 2022, 01:40:18 AM
Brandi i did not mean to imply you should not cut it, and it can be pretty wood, but it is some work.  I know you are not afraid of that.  I think it is guys and gals, or boys and girls.  that politically correct stuff seeps in.  I like to say Merry Christmas, but if I suspect someone might be other than Christian (based on looks), I might say Happy Holidays.  maybe that is more "racist" than just saying Merry Christmas.  oh well.  :-\

Doc,
Nothing implied or heard.  These two bigger logs are just too big for my sawmill.  Like you said, it is a lot of work.  Just turning a large non straight log is a lot of work.  Putting that much work in and getting ruined slabs from waves is a non starter for me.  It will be firewood.
The rejected log was almost too big.  The clamp stopped about a foot from clearing the log and could only be used as a chock.
I was just teasing Howard.  Back in the 8th grade, in marching band, our row leader was a girl from Michigan.  She called everyone, "U guys". That was very different to hear when you were raised hearing, "Y'all".
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 02, 2022, 08:53:43 AM
I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
It is amazing how magically customers show up and ruin our wood building projects. smiley_swinging_board smiley_furious3  My WM salesman told me to hide my sawmill when I got it home for that reason. smiley_huh
Get feeling better smiley_thumbsup and SAW that Maple and get it drying. smiley_chop  I think I let a 12 inch Hickory log ruin on the stack.  Cut an inch off the end yesterday, after noticing damage, and it is all spalted. dadgum you, Charlie!  
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Ljohnsaw

:P  Until the snow melts (sometime in July?)

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshNZ

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 02, 2022, 08:53:43 AM
I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
Interesting you say that, are you on a better wicket sawing other people's logs rather than creating your own stock?
Any time people ask me to saw their stuff I try and weasel out of it now, I'd do it for friends only really.

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on January 02, 2022, 01:03:12 PMIt will be firewood.
Some "logs" do not even qualify as firewood except maybe "bonfire".   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

biggkidd

I've got about a half a logging trailer load of logs on the ground now that were taken down about a month ago. It's a mixed batch of evergreens and none are really what I would call saw logs. I'll call them practice logs for when we get the mill built. Which is supposed to happen this week but the dang weather is interfering in a big way. There are a couple storm downed red oaks on the ground also but they have been down about a year. They definitely qualify as saw logs if they are still any good.   
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Magicman

The Red Oaks will definitely have Ambrosia Beetle holes, especially in the sapwood.  Other than that, the logs should be OK. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on January 02, 2022, 03:15:25 PM
Quote from: Bindian on January 02, 2022, 01:03:12 PMIt will be firewood.
Some "logs" do not even qualify as firewood except maybe "bonfire".   :-X
True.  I threw some Red Oak on the burn pile the other day.  Too rotten to be fireplace fuel.
hugs,  Brandi

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

VB-Milling

Was able to get some hours on the mill to ring in 2022.  Happy New Year everyone!

HM126

firefighter ontheside

I'm feeling better today, so I"m gonna go out later this afternoon when the temp is above freezing and do just a little bit of milling.  Someone wants me to make some 3"x9"x36" red elm stair treads for a barndominium hes building.  That will be a good little project to go outside for and get some fresh air.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TimW

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 03, 2022, 10:24:17 AM
I'm feeling better today, so I"m gonna go out later this afternoon when the temp is above freezing and do just a little bit of milling.  Someone wants me to make some 3"x9"x36" red elm stair treads for a barndominium hes building.  That will be a good little project to go outside for and get some fresh air.
Glad to hear that.  Fresh air always helps.
hugs,  Brandi

firefighter ontheside

It's been a month or so since I ran the mill.  It wasn't happy about starting and kept dying.  I put some carb cleaner in there, so hopefully next time it will start easier.  I milled a large red elm into a bunch of 3x9x72 boards.  I only hit one piece of steel wire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

Calls started up again yesterday, got 4 wanting to schedule now.

Man its cold here.  About 35F today.   :D

Going to draw the line at about 25F start temp in the morning unless I know the customer has to have frozen ground.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I began my 20th year of sawing today with this whack of logs.

This is only a few of the logs and I immediately culled/rejected the two on the left.

This 30" butt 20' log was my first for the year.

And it sawed out 23 ea. 2X8's plus 3 ea. 2X4's.  This was the only log we sawed before lunch, and we finished sawing by 4:30.  Not too bad.

Our yield was 2149 bf sawed with two blades.  My customer looks cold but happy it's done.

Here is what I sawed for the same customer last July.

firefighter ontheside

When I showed up to work on January 1st it was the 25th anniversary of my first day on the job.  Then I promptly took a covid test and went right back home.  Happy Anniversary to me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I had no intention of sawing yesterday but a many times repeat customer called so....

Six SYP logs 8'-18' plus 3 Red Oak logs with rotten sapwood.

Yup, I hit metal but I believer that this will "buff out".   ::)

After a late start I got the SYP sawn into mostly framing lumber and probably ~20 1X10's.  I will go back probably tomorrow and saw the Red Oak into odd shaped porch rails.

firefighter ontheside

I would go ahead and send that blade in for sharpening.  I think it will be fine.

I need to go thru my blades.  I've got them scattered around the place.  Some sharp here and there and some dull here and there.  It's getting close to time for taking some in for sharpening.  I have a feeling that I will buy some equipment to do that myself this year.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I have a box of blades somewhere in the ReSharp cycle most of the time.  That plus a ordered a box of 15 last night.  I 'had' one last 4° blade in rotation but after yesterday I am now 100% Turbo7° blades.  

Thank You Sponsors!