iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Fryer

Started by Magicman, January 08, 2022, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We have had an Air Fryer for probably a year but our lives have been cluttered and there just has not been a convenient time to give it a whirl.  Well she dusted if off about a week ago and.....

"Black Snapper" filets'.

PatD went to the grocery yesterday and chicken breast & wings were $3.49 lb.

Drumsticks were $1.09 and they were mighty fine.  :)

She has been Googling  :P  Air Fryer recipes.   That plus she has been watching Jeff's videos.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

Once you get one you'll wish you got one sooner, they are great. 
A1

Walnut Beast

I always here about frozen fries that are pre cooked. Can you slice up raw potatoes as fries in the air fryer and cook them. How do they turn out and how long does it take?

Jeff

Absolutely about a half hour in a rotiserrie basket. Frozen fries suck. No advantage as they are flashfried in oil
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

So for supper tonight I got a floured tortilla, some sauce, cheddar cheese (no mozzarella), and diced some ham.

And 6 minutes in the air fryer later I had a pizza.  Pretty DanG good.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Interesting. I have been hearing about air fryers but had no idea what they did until yesterday. A friend did up some perogies, they were good and so easy to make! 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

newoodguy78

Stay tuned sawguy if Jeff and magicman get going on what can be cooked in an air fryer there's bound to be plenty easy to cook deliciousness to be had.  :D

Jeff

Southside

We got one a month or so back, have used it a couple of times with our chicken, still figuring it out but came out very good each time.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

petefrom bearswamp

Bought one about a year ago after reading Jeff's posts.
Took it out of the box, thought the wife would be thrilled, as she hates me deep frying fish, but noooo.
Made me send it back.
Oh well.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Stephen1

My SIL does turkeys wild and store bought in his. Just great and Fast. 
I ordered a new stove for my house and it comes with an airfrier option. When I ge the house, i'll be able to report on it. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Raider Bill

Isn't  a convection oven a air fryer?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Southside

My understanding is they are a convection oven that has been ported, polished, and had a bigger turbo installed.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

can't go wrong with a good port and polish.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

I recently picked  up one of the small oven type ones and we love it. Nothing like homegrown sweet potato fries. This shows some simple  things we use it for.
Sur La Table Air Fryer From Costco Black Friday Sale First Review - YouTube  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

All these good food pictures and videos are making me want to get one. Is there a brand that significantly better than others? What are some features that one should look for?
Pardon my questions 95 percent of the food I eat is cooked on a wood stove or grill. The other 5 percent doesn't require heat :D

Jeff

aigheadish

I've made some pretty tasty jerky in mine. Whatever random steak I can find and afford, cut into strips about 1/4-1/2" wide, stabbed with a fork a bunch, marinated in a mix of Worcestershire and/or teriyaki, onion and garlic powder, some crushed red pepper, salt and pepper, maybe tabasco or some other hot stuff, some honey and/or sugar/brown sugar, maybe some maple syrup. Let it soak for a day or two in a ziploc bag, in which I kind of mash it around every once in a while so the meat gets evenly covered. Fire up the air fryer to about 170 degrees, maybe 200 (I've had to search around for how to get the temp that low on both the air fryers I've had, but they've both had them, I think on a fruit drying setting or something) then let it go for about 5 hours. I occasionally give it a shake and will spoon on the marinade every once in a while too.

We'll do store made egg rolls, McDonald's style hashbrowns, I'll reheat restaurant leftovers in there, all kinds of good stuff. 

I'm interested in how the oven with the built-in air fryer goes. Our nice and expensive Samsung oven is kind of a piece of junk so I wouldn't be surprised to get a new one before too long...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

Here was our supper last night. Everything seasoned on the same bag, cooked together for the same time.
Last night, we made our entire meal, all at the same time in our Pampered chef Air Fryer.

16 minute Steak, Mushrooms and Brussel Sprouts. Cooked all at once in the Pampered Chef Air Fryer - YouTube
1 steak cutvin strips

Baby Bella Mushrooms
Brussels Sprouts

1T Garlic powder
1T Onion Powder
2T Dried Parmigiano
1/4 c Olive oil

Coat mushrooms, steak and sprouts
all at once in a mixing bag. (Gallon ziplock)

400° for 8 minutes, turn food, swap tray positions. cook 8 more minutes, or until desired doneness is achieved.

Texas Ranger

First time with an air fryer, chicken drum sticks.  Oh, my, i  have become a southern cook.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

realzed

My son got a small air fryer and loves it - but it is quite small and really only usable for a small meal for one or two at best.
Is there an accepted best make and model of fryer that will allow bigger portions or meals large enough for a few people, and is generally accepted as 'the make and model' to have - and that comes with a basket and other gadgets that pretty much covers cooking up a wide range of types of meals or different types of meats?
Thanks - Randy..

Jeff

Pampered chef is what we use. It was pricey but I use it every single day.

Magicman

The units with a basket are cumbersome.  Get a door.

realzed

I looked a bit around on-line - one Pampered Chef unit as an example, appears to be 11-12 qt. size - is that a decent size?
There are some other brands I noted - many of which are in the 6-8 qt. size, but others go up into the 20+ qt. size that look like small microwave ovens!
I would assume the ability to cook a small chicken whole or similar sized unit would be optimal (not too clunky for a kitchen - yet capacity-wise logical). 
I'm not up on any of these obviously and don't really know what I should be looking for or striving to get temperature, performance, and feature-wise..
Looking for any and all tips as to what make some better than others and why..
Consumers guides always seem (at least to me) to recommend off-brand models that I would tend to be wary of - but again I'm not savy as to what brands are good choices and what features would make a unit stand out as a good or better choice over maybe other similar ones!
Doors verses Drawers I can understand - some advertise all of the parts or bins to be dishwasher cleanable - which again seems logical..
Any other tips - some units have a lot of buttons verses dials and digital readouts - which I assume makes settings easier and more variable to adjust parameters.. (my older son is visually impaired) and bright digital displays, dishwasher cleanable, and easy to clean and adapt to various types of foods and meals, would go a long way toward helping him become much more self sufficient in making his own meals - something we are mainly hopeful of achieving with one of these units!
Thx - Randy    

Jeff

Dont get anything with non stick coatings. Get stainless.  I can cook for 4 in our pampered chef. They only have one model. It has a rotisserie basket, skewers and racks. You can airfry bake and dehydrate. It makes greaT jerky. Check out my youtube airfryer play list to see just some of what I do in ours.
Air Fryer Cooking Videos - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!