iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Garden Seed and Starts - Better get on it!!

Started by SwampDonkey, January 15, 2022, 04:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, here we are and other gardening year. I just ordered my garden seed to start plants for transplant and others for direct seeding. The seed company (Vesey's Seeds on PEI) said they are working 2 shifts getting seed out. :) One thing for sure, it must be a good time to be a seed company.  ;D

I have a few items coming soon for starting my seeds. I have a 8' square grow tent, inline fan/filter and some more grow lights that should arrive in a week. I've also got to get some cheap stands and maybe some extra seed starter trays and a couple extra bags of starter soil. I should be all set for future grow ops and only need seeds and soil from here on out. ;)

Here's the tent. They are sold out of most tents. :D

https://marshydroled.ca/collections/grow-tent
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

Until recently there were seed stores, feed stores, and hardware stores that sold seeds locally in bulk.  We usually plant our Spring gardens around Valentine's Day.  We will likely have to order seeds this year.  For our peas, we'll likely just buy dried ones in the grocery store aisle.

Last year we planted some spaghetti squash in some parking lot islands at school using seeds out of one squash and got a pretty good yield.  Our spring garden will probably include black eyed peas, yellow squash and a few tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

Caveman

69bronco

Put my seed order in back in sept. We got burned the year before by ordering in late winter as usual and a lot of things were unavailable already!

SwampDonkey

Hasn't been that bad here as far as getting seed at Veseys', I have gotten all I wanted. The things that have been troublesome is plants like raspberry canes and such for spring planting. Last year I know, no one had certified raspberry canes left. Not that I needed any, but was curious what was available. None!

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Have a seed order in with  Baker Creek seeds and a big rubbermaid bin of saved seeds to sort through yet. Definitely  still looking for some other seeds. I will try Victory seeds for the rest as I had good luck with their seeds last year. I have 2 of those marshydro grow tents and 3 led grow lights. They really  work great for starting seeds and are well worth the investment. I use the Infinity AC blowers and they consume the least power of any fans I have tried so far. I never got my winter  lettuce  started Thanksgiving due to being sick and really  miss it now. I will probably  start some lettuce,  bok choy,  radishes, and kale next week.  I hope you have cheap electric up there because it's really going to cost to run enough lights for a 8 x 8  :o. Hard to believe it's  almost  garden time already.  With rising food prices a garden is a great investment of time these days. Only have about  50 butternuts left in the root cellar from last year and boy do they make awesome pies.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

@21incher I'll have 4 lights in the tent. The inline fan/filter I got is the Ipower 6" 442 CFM. If the lights don't emit enough heat, I can duct some in off the furnace. ;D

I ran two lights last winter, never consumed much $$. ;)

50 squash?? You better get eat'n pies. :D  I think there are still 6 big 8 lb'ers here in the basement.

SwampDonkey

Got the grow tent up, didn't know which end was up for awhile. Zippered sections made it confusing, until I unzipped a couple, then it came to me. An afternoon ordeal when your in a space 10' x16'.  ;D  8 foot square is huge......when your not inside a barn to assemble it. :D :D She's up anyway. smiley_dizzy dangle_smiley  Everything fit perfect.

21incher

That's a monster tent. Can't  imagine putting the cover on.  That size is usually used for cannabis. My little  tents each use about  10 dollars a  month for electricity and I was guessing a 8 x 8 would  need about  7 times that for fans and lights in my comment. Just started a 3 x 3 with greens and radishes.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

A guy came in and set seeds up in the store. Others are coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The local coop announced in the paper it has it's seeds in. I need some basal and radishes. Wish my onion seed would come soon, I want to start some sets.

Working on putting the grow op together. ;D I used every bit of that grow space last winter under lights for tomatoes and peppers, only it was in my upstairs studio area. :)
In this space I have heat if I need it off furnace duct and beside a water tap. ;D

I can control the speed of the fan. And will have a timer on the lights. It's a rugged unit as is the charcoal filter, all metal housing, no plastic. Love it. :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

To keep a steady temp in the tent I run smaller fires in the stove, like 1/3 of the wood, and run the fan on the furnace continuous. This captures all the heat when there is a small bed of coals not hot enough to trip the limit controls, but lots of heat to maintain 75F. ;D This way the tent is in the mid 70's to 80F all the time and I'm not turned into a grease spot in my living room. :D I think I will get a timer for the air filter fan, and run it intermittent, like 15 mins every hour, or what ever the graduations are on the timer pins. Don't need it yet. Radishes are germinating today (planted Friday), maybe Swiss chard soon. Chard I think germinates fast, always does in the garden....until groundhogs find it. :D

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

All look good. 
I have sage under about 4 inches of snow. The stems are big and woody, but puts out good tasting sage. 
Puts out way more than we use.

SwampDonkey

Swiss chard is up now, an inch. The lettuce is slow, seed is old.

SwampDonkey

The seed company sent most of my seed order yesterday, should arrive by Friday I would think, since it's already in Dieppe, NB.

Be great to get my onion seed planted to get good sized bulbs for spring. :) I have bulbs of another variety ordered, but they never had bulbs for these ones.

21incher

Got my first seed order and these are some of our favorites

Here is a video showing the descriptions
My First Seed Order 2022 From Baker Creek Seeds Slideshow - YouTube

SwampDonkey

Great stuff, and timing. Most of my seeds will be here today as well. I stuck a couple big beef in a large pot to experiment and see if I get tomatoes by April. Just for kicks. :D Of course I have a fan on the plants to encourage stem strength and aid pollination, but will use a Q-tip as well when the time comes.

Corley5

Nice set up 8) 8)  What's the watt rating on your LEDs?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

HI Corley5,

The wattage I'm using is 1000 w each. I've got 4 now, 4 more coming next week that should do the trick for the rest of the seedlings. It's cheaper to buy 2 - 1000 watters than one 2000 watter, if you can figure that out. :D  Plus with LED's it's not drawing 1000 watts, that's just the equivalent incandescent. I need to add a timer to the fan and one for the other 4 lights coming and another cord come another socket. Lights come with adjustable pulleys to raise and lower.

Planted my onion seed and some more lettuce yesterday. Never started onion seed, so excited to see how they do.

SwampDonkey

radishes and basil Jan 29. Radishes starting first true leaves, 1 week along.

Corley5

Are they Mars Hydro lights?  We run their TS 3000s  :)

SwampDonkey

No Corley, I buy what works, but not the best. They are Top-SunS and SOEVSI brands, 1000w and 1500 W models respectively. The SOEVSI brand is now about double last year's price, so switched brands. Gets the job done. This is the Mars grow tent though, which seems to be one of the best out there. It actually fits together well. Others complain the tents of competitors are too tight to fit together. I found this to be a perfect fit.

So what'cha grow'n? 8)

I may start some elderberry clippings to get them rooted. :)

Corley5

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 31, 2022, 04:48:31 AMSo what'cha grow'n? 8)

We currently aren't growing anything.  We experimented the last year with the 12 plant recreational individual limit to see how it works.  It works.  The Mars Hydro lights work well.  Most all LED grow lights use the same Samsung LED chips.  We shut the grow down until we have the legal commercial license.  What we were experimenting with was/is absolutely legal in this state.  We have all the approvals at the local level and our pre-qualification application and fee is currently in the hands of Michigan's Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.  We should have that back by the end of March and will get a Class B License allowing us 500 plants.  We plan on two hundred indoors in a perpetual grow and 300 outdoors in hoop houses during the growing season.  We'll see how it goes and are looking towards a 2000 plant Class C license in the future as well as partnering with an associate to bring a processing facility here.  

SwampDonkey

This week from the garden we have....

Swiss chard greens

radishes

basal

Onions germinating

Happy gardening. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!