iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch 11' x 26' 6-1/2" header & post requirements

Started by Sedgehammer, May 17, 2022, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I did a search . I thought I asked this before , but couldn't find it

My porch is 11' 2-1/2" deep x 26' 6-1/2" wide . Wanting to use 2 , 10" posts , so span wood be 12' 5-1/4" between posts . Wood 2 , 2x12 rough cuts work for the header ? This will be exposed

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

bluthum

If I'm reading this right [beware] that sound fine to me. Overkill on the posts for sure and likely on the header. But that's just imhop. When I was working I always went with engineered charts. Such charts can't be applied to rough ungraded lumber.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: bluthum on May 21, 2022, 09:01:38 PM
If I'm reading this right [beware] that sound fine to me. Overkill on the posts for sure and likely on the header. But that's just imhop. When I was working I always went with engineered charts. Such charts can't be applied to rough ungraded lumber.
Agreed on post size , but it looks soooo much better . It's good SYP , so it wood grade out pretty high . I usually over build , as I'm living in it , but it can haunt one if one remodels at some point

bluthum

That makes a fat post makes sense. 

What species of SYP do you mostly have there? Short leaf is much stronger than loblolly I find.  Some years back they shortened the span recommends for syp I suspected due to the degradation of the logs being milled. More lobs and the plantation short leafs being faster out the door.

firefighter ontheside

I believe you could do that with a 2x8, so a 2x12 is definitely fine and overkill.  I assume you mean two 2x12 put together as a double.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!