The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Solar powered offgrid Electric Fence  (Read 1173 times)

Offline bitternut

• Share Post
Re: Solar powered offgrid Electric Fence
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
I had a deer problem when I first planted my small orchard. I had several trees completely stripped right after leaf out that actually died. As this small orchard is across the road from my house there is no electric available so I tried a solar fencer. I purchased a PARMAK SP12 fencer that is rated for 30mi of fence. It has worked well for over 3 years now and the only time I have noticed any deer damage is a couple of times I have forgot to turn it back on after working in the orchard.

I ran a single wire about waist high for quite a while until early one morning I spotted an adult doe near the outside of the fence and two fawns on the inside of the fence. That led me to drop the height of the wire to below knee height. Since that time I have not had any sign of deer being inside the fence even though they leave tracks around the outside. On occasion I have seen signs that a deer has walked up to the fence and apparently touched the wire. Pretty obvious that they exited with great haste. :o :o :D ;D

My orchard is next to the road in a 2 acre lot that is maintained as lawn. Deer wander around the area just about every night. The surrounding area is actively farmed with field crops, orchards, alfalfa, etc. so our deer never lack for food.

Offline JD Guy

• I'm new here!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 02:00:32 PM »
Jeff:
Set up a radio and a motion light/sensor system such that if the critters do get in they can harvest to the music and see what they are gnawing on.
To keep deer out of the beans I've used fishing line.  Supposedly the deer do not see it just back off when they feel it.  It worked when I did it but plan on putting it back up frequently.
Good luck with your gardening and hope you have a bountiful harvest.
No, I do not want ANY summer squash!
GAB
Yeah, I read about the fishing line thing from someone up east and well north of us. Tried it one year and it was an epic fail for us. Sitll have a part of a roll of 60lb test monofilament around somewhere 😂

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »
heard tell go to the local hair salon and get the cut hair . spread it around the outskirts of the garden . Deer think you're there , ( well not you , as the hair prolly smells better ) , but to a deer , that stinks and there's a human abouts

The other thing to do is run chicken wire , say 18" or 2' high and then put a hot wire 2 " above that . climbing critters lose the desire to climb anymore
My wife has always cut my hair which is piled around plant bases near our house. Maybe it works but for sure it's not fool proof. They eat our azaleas, rhododendrons, hydrangeas, you name it here bouts with hair nearby.
As for a hot wire, good luck with that low or high for climbers. A chicken house is only real safe if you bury the wire well into the ground as a fox, etc, digs under them. Guess how I know this.    
it's important that the chicken wire isn't too tall , as they think they can easily climb it , then ouch

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2022, 08:59:47 AM »
Based on the fences Ive put up around food plots and gardens, a single line run 3 outside of your fence will keep the deer out.  Ive used a double fence for 20 years with excellent results in keeping deer out of my food plots and garden.

On my current garden I have 6 strands of high tensile wire 7 tall with a single poly cord strand outside of that.  Keeps the deer and bears out.   The dogs, the 22 and the 12 gauge take care of raccoons.
Back in KS I used to hunt racoons with a friend who kept dogs for that type hunting, which was not my favorite type of hunt really. We'd be out at all hours of the night as they are a nocturnal critter. We have quite a few here in my area of KY but nowhere near as many as was true in KS. Coon hunters here actually go out there to find more hunting. Thats said, I have a serious love for sweet corn but not interested in all night sit-ups near my garden plot to fend off racoons. I'll add that the firepower's no problem, it's the hours the coons keep that bothers me! :D
It's a weird thing really with sweet corn. The coons seem to sort of cruise the region around us until they happen onto some corn. We planted 10 rows 1st planting 2 weeks ago tomorrow and talked about how they seem to hit the 2nd and 3rd plantings the worst. This year it two plantings, two weeks apart, that's it.
In the past I've tried all night lights, all day & night radios in a bucket and electric fence down low-coons and groundhogs get in easily. If they find it, your lucky to get even one ear of corn in an entire planting. Corn seed costs are no longer trivial either! Beans & maters we save seed, corn can't be done.  Rabbits are easy to live trap and I just haul them off to a rock quarry 2 miles up the road and let them out.
Squirrels are my current main enemy! They breed like rabbits and we have plenty to prove it. No fence ever built (well maybe some?) can contain them. I have a Remington model 1100 shotgun & box of shells on my dining room table as we speak.
 Given they feed two times a day, I watch early and late out my picture window. They eat all my apples, all my pears and if that's not enough they chew on one specific area of out log house, each log corner of the picture window room extension. It's their dental festival location. I try to sneak out the far end and catch them as they head for the deep woods. Lately they've been all greys but saw one at my sawmill with a red tail, grey body. No fox squirrels past few years here.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »
Jeff:
Set up a radio and a motion light/sensor system such that if the critters do get in they can harvest to the music and see what they are gnawing on.
To keep deer out of the beans I've used fishing line.  Supposedly the deer do not see it just back off when they feel it.  It worked when I did it but plan on putting it back up frequently.
Good luck with your gardening and hope you have a bountiful harvest.
No, I do not want ANY summer squash!
GAB
Yeah, I read about the fishing line thing from someone up east and well north of us. Tried it one year and it was an epic fail for us. Sitll have a part of a roll of 60lb test monofilament around somewhere 😂
One year I tried the bird netting on our corn plot-talk about a mess... 
Our critters seem to like country music. LOL with the sound and light thing, I've found their hunger trumps all fences and other stuff too. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2022, 03:44:27 PM »
I spent several days this past week, first rototilling, then plowing, discing, raking and planting not to mention trying to video it all. I built an offgrid solar electric fence to protect it from critters, and then, the rains came. And came again. The hardest I think I had ever saw it rain at our cabin in 20 plus years. It seemed biblical at the time. My hope is that the way I prepared this vegetable garden, with rows and walkways formed by driving the quad in It's own tracks, leaving planting areas between, that the garden will survive the multiple rivers that ran through it and something will be salvaged. We shall see! 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »
Well if the first planting fails, and I'm not suggesting it will, but for a second planting, maybe consider rice?
:D :D ;D (Sorry, too soon?)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »
nOT ATALL :D   Next year will be raised boxes. This year I dont know where I would find the time. This is concert week at the memorial. Ruined a pair of pants off loading fencing. ARGH

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »
Completely replanted the corn this morning. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »
Done let one flooding hold ya back. That might never happen again in 30 years. June planting is lots of time for sweet corn. ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »
Backup underway. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2022, 03:00:32 AM »
That's what Mark (SelfsufficientMe on Youtube) has to do where he lives in Australia, rain rain rain for weeks this year. Without raised beds he'd only have rice patties. The rain was brutal this year down there. :D

Have had plenty of rain this spring here, a real soaker last night. But the ground drains quickly here because the heavy clay is down by bedrock. After 12" of topsoil, your into more rock and gravel mixed in on these old maple ridges.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2022, 08:23:55 PM »
Do I give up? My Garden spot has been flooded out for the second time, three days after replanting.This time it was also pumelled by hail. Im getting a bit discouraged, but I'll keep trying.
VIDEO OF THE HAIL STORM.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2022, 08:44:37 PM »
Oh Wow.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2022, 08:57:08 PM »
We call that being snake bit. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
Not having much luck with the garden.
here's the 5 minute hail storm I got.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2022, 05:31:37 AM »
I had that last year in May. Beat all the the apple and plum blossoms off.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
DC solar powered fans for Solar kiln

Started by Paddock Jack on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:21:24 PM
by longtime lurker
xx
Solar powered solar kiln

Started by AnthonyW on Drying and Processing

16 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 07:20:23 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Solar powered solar kiln

Started by Jason_WI on Drying and Processing

22 Replies
Last post May 28, 2005, 01:33:19 AM
by caryr
xx
Anyone using "Invisible Fence" brand electric fence?

Started by Piston on General Board

14 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 05:17:51 AM
by crtreedude