iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treatment for bugs after cutting pine.

Started by Dog man, August 15, 2022, 01:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog man

What's the best bug treatment to use and how do I apply it after milling pine boards. I intend to air dry these boards.

WDH

As long as you air dry them with good air flow like with a fan, they will dry well and you do not need to treat for bugs.  The dreaded Lyctid powderpost beetle that we all hate which will infest hardwood does not infest pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Beavertooth

There are different types powder post beetles and some will eat up pine lumber. I have worked on many homes here in south ms. that have had there floor joist and pine subfloors turn into nothing but powder between all of the hard growth rings and they look like you shot them with a load of number 9 shot.  The Anobiid powder post beetle prefers wood that has a moisture content between 13 and 30% like what would be under these houses here in humid ms. especially ones that are low to the ground or have been mostly sealed off around the bottom.  What ever the correct name for them is may be debatable but they will turn pine to powder. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Sawmill Man

Do they have Ambrosia beetles up north? Thats what we have here that will bore into green pine, they dont care for it dry.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Don P

There is nothing wrong with a good borate drenching.

DanMc

The bugs need moisture to survive. With the pine I've air dried, the worms (if there are any) have dried up with the wood.
It's funny, if the logs have been sitting for a few months, some will be wormy and stained (makes great flooring) and others will have no signs of bugs. Must be the specific type of tree that they don't care for.  If any stick their heads out of the planks after milling, I'll gently pull them out and toss them into the grass where they will be good food for some creature out there.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

kantuckid

Annobid PPB's does go after EWP in KY!!! SYP not that I've seen much. 
Once it warms up they head for the sap wood in logs. Lumber sawed below their logs homes is un-infested. If you sawed prior to them entering your OK I guess, otherwise ya gotta spray.
As to them drying up in the wood-that maybe is true but if their in their very long they've done some work tunneling around. Poplar they love the stuff and takes not long for them to ruin a board. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!