iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I be upset by this purchase?

Started by SleepyDog, June 22, 2022, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Here's a noteworthy thought: This afternoon I was collecting tools & stuff in the shop for my next trip to my remote build site tomorrow. I need drawknives up there as I'm stockpiling logs to build with via a long haul and some need peeled there. I got out one of my knives, it's my 2nd best one but a real dandy. 
 I sharpened it and wrote down the blade stamp information to google now. it's branded as a G I Mix & Co., No. 1 EX. 9.  I found any number of them for sale and actually much cheaper than seems logical. One exact same one is $17.50. Compare that what with a 9" blade, what appears to be some sort of exotic black hardwood handle, properly attached and most obviously a serious made tool and we must ask the question as to why anyone would pay almost ten times that much for a blacksmith made tool-even if the work was superb?  
I have yet another one which has no brand marks but is also 8 or 9" blade and a properly made factory drawknife. It's sort of lightweight compared to the family heirloom knife I use less now and the G I Mix one. 
I would not want to try to match the quality I see in any of my three knifes with a handmade, custom version. That said I do seriously appreciate tools made with skill.

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

barbender

The Barr draw knives set the "bar" in all of the log building yards around Minnesota, and I would imagine elsewhere. While it isn't something you'd need for peeling a 6" fence post, when you have a yard full of 20", 50' long red and white pine staring at you it's without equal. These logs are peeled not just of the bark, but also a bit of the outside layer of wood as well. Sometimes in one shot, but more often than not the bark is peeled, the logs are allowed to sit for a time and then any weathering is peeled off. They get used hard and hold up to it.
Too many irons in the fire

Daburner87

Quote from: Lostinmn on June 23, 2022, 01:34:31 PM
I have been very happy with my barr timber framing tools.

If I was in the market for a draw knife, it's where I would start!
There stuff looks really good.  I would send that one back, and go to Barr as well.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Thank You Sponsors!