iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bleaching and Staining

Started by Jeff, June 24, 2022, 11:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This summer's major cabin project is now completed! It took a month to prep with the weather we have had here in the Eastern U.P., but only about 5 hrs for my Daughter Stacy and I to actually get our cabin stained. Prep incuded power washing for the first time ever since 1995, stripping bark off the back logs that never was stripped, finishing up some missing siding by the decommissioned chimney, bleaching then staining. 

Bleaching and Staining our Cedar Log Cabin - YouTube
If you watch the video you can see how we did it and how it went in less than 8 minutes. ;)
Glad to have this needed project outta the way! The first picture is a before shot showing the barky back wall.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Nice.  How long did the bleach/water sit on the logs?  I noticed you didn't do anything to the gable shingles (bleach or stain/seal).  Not needed?

I forget, are those whole logs or just slab siding?  I think I saw some caulk or chinking in one shot.  Did you re-caulk before you started or was it good?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

The cabin, when built was going to be board and batten. My sister did not like the look, so, we came up with the plan to turn cedar posts onto siding logs. At the time we could get the posts at the Clare Stock yards for .75ยข a piece. We had an Amish fellow 3 side them, and on the bigger ones, get some 1x4s too, that were used inside in the bathroom and closets. So, we put felt on the  pine and put the cedar posts over it. Ill see if I can find a pic in our cabin slbum here.

The bleach was on only long enough to get completely aroin3d the cabin, so probably 45 minutes? The gable shinglrs are western red cedR, and I saw no need to stain those.  I had no safe way to reach and finish the gable facia with the sprayer, so my intent is a paint pad on a pole.

Jeff

Here is a couple pics, including that little girl that helped me stain this week. :)

SwampDonkey

I've got to do a much smaller job on the narrow 4' wide porch deck. Gotta remove the old stain, wash and sand and reapply. It's white cedar.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

My bulk sodium percarbonate was bought of fleabay cheaply. It's 100% and has the same goodie as Oxyclean sold on TV at 10% goodies content. Looks like detergent powder, mix as you wish. Buy a dairy barn brush, nylon bristles, screw in handles hole, ovoid head shape. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!