iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

exterior finishes

Started by Aikenback, August 08, 2022, 01:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aikenback

wondering what people are experiencing with various exterior products on their log and timber exteriors..it seems they either dont last at all or fail with chipping and cracking...recommendations?
no whining.

beenthere

Quote fail with chipping and cracking

That would happen with a paint or solid color products. 

Look at penetrating semi-transparent stains. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tawilson

For better or for worse, we went with Sherwin Williams "Natural" toner on our columns and will use a shade darker on the siding.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

kantuckid

Fellow Canadians need to reply as I have no idea what's sold in Canada. VOC is a large issue in US finishes for me as I live in a non-low VOC state and want the finish with the most "goody" in the mix. I've had serious issues with low VOC finishes. In the USDA it matters where a finish is sourced as to the warehouse's state location VOC wise as to what I can buy that acceptable. 
Canada has it's own rules.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Andries

We've been through the gauntlet run on this topic, it may even come close to the Chevy vs Ford rants. 😉
I've settled on this:
Osmo 

Osmo UV-Protection-Oil 420 Clear Extra (.75L) Exterior Wood Oil for Vertical Surfaces 
Pricey, but so are good tires.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

I have heard this is very good stuff from a luthier who makes high end stuff. I raised this question this morning on another thread. Your link doesn't bring up the product. My question is: Where do you buy it. I won't buy anything from amazon. No exceptions. 
 I cannot find a source for this stuff to try it.
 My friend is way out of the country right now and I can't get hold of him. Just looking for a friendly place to buy it so I can try it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Prizl tha Chizl

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 08, 2022, 08:47:11 PM
I have heard this is very good stuff from a luthier who makes high end stuff. I raised this question this morning on another thread. Your link doesn't bring up the product. My question is: Where do you buy it. I won't buy anything from amazon. No exceptions.
I cannot find a source for this stuff to try it.
My friend is way out of the country right now and I can't get hold of him. Just looking for a friendly place to buy it so I can try it.

A quick DuckDuckGo search turned up a number of hits for it. This place sells it in containers from .125L to 2.5L, and cheaper than Amazon. 
https://www.midwest-flooring.com/products/copy-of-osmo-uv-protection-oil-420-clear-satin-extra-exterior-wood-finish-various-sizes?variant=39758615904354

I used the heritage natural finished exterior last fall, too soon to make any judgements about it other than it smells not yucky putting it on.
"The Woods Is My Church"

kantuckid

Quote from: Andries on August 08, 2022, 08:28:23 PM
We've been through the gauntlet run on this topic, it may even come close to the Chevy vs Ford rants. 😉
I've settled on this:
Osmo

Osmo UV-Protection-Oil 420 Clear Extra (.75L) Exterior Wood Oil for Vertical Surfaces
Pricey, but so are good tires.
Please save me some time since this is an over discussed topic: What's the magic ingredient in Osmo? 
My log house would call for a bit more than some good tires money if I coated it with OSMO! 
Is it mixed in Canada, USA or Germany? 
 I tried reading the MSDS but says aliphatic hydrocarbons like most all exterior finishes and some other chemical words I cannot spell.  Requires nitrile gloves and no skin, eyes contact-must be fairly nasty stuff.  Finish manufacturers are careful with their ingredients so we cannot make straight across comparisons for our ford/chev rants.  ;D

Andries

The firm that has served me well is at loghelp.com
They carry all sorts of log building supplies, including log end sealant.
The Osmo product has UV inhibitors and is proving to be the best ever sealant that we've used. A oak and cedar planter next to our house gets a severe weather test, winter and summer, and the Osmo stuff has been phenomenal. For years.
Be ready to crack open the wallet though. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

This is the label on the pail of log end sealer that was shipped during the virus mess. I'm just sharing a contact for buddy (@Aikenback) in Alberta, even though the supplier is in Minnesota!

I applied it to this oak and cedar planter, which gets South exposure. 

Kantuckid, the active ingredient? Sheesh, that's like cracking the recipe for CocaCola, or for McDonalds 'super secret sauce' burger topping. 
I'm most'def not an industrial organic chemist. . . haven't a clue, but it works.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Nebraska

Could take a look at Auson's pine tar based finishes.  I have made my own before  and it has held up well for 4 years on my mill shed.

kantuckid

Foodwise copycat recipes are often spot on or close enough, and big mac sauce is commonly done. Wood finishes not as often, so my question was sort of tongue in cheek :D 
Cor-Tenn who I'm using for supplies sells/distributes Q8, also very pricey as are some others. 

Thank You Sponsors!